mtbr member
    Dec 2008

I want to find an awesome fat frame and put together a fat bike.

I know this is long winded. I hope you can bare with me. I want to build a durable, long lasting Fat Bike...I don't want to build from scratch. I want to find an awesome frame set and hang good, strong, reliable parts. I know this could have been formatted better for an easier read. I know most of us have our own back stories and we don't care much about other peoples stories... Unless of course it's a reality show... Ha... I really miss the days that people actually liked helping other people or newbies with their experience and knowledge... So, I'm 5'10" 31 inch inseam, and about 270lbs...I have been riding for years like most of you, a few years ago I found the Clydesdale part of the forum, traded in my old man upright cruiser for a Rockhopper 29r..At the time I was 340lbs.but with riding more by myself and with my 7 year old (at the time) I dropped some weight. The accident down below knocked even more off, and I just sold my 29r a week ago, in hopes of finding a fatbike...however not a lot out there that I like for the cost...so I got to thinking ...I have the time and money is coming in very slowly right now. I think I want to build one...Although I have never built my own my bike...I am handy and mechanical..my career in the automotive service industry of over 35 years and riding and working on motorcycles for 20plus years...HERE IS MY BACKSTORY...Last June I was rear ended on my motorcycle while I was at a red light. I was a complete stop and hit by a Ram Pickup. The accident broke my back in 3 places and ripped my shoulder cuff tendon completely off the scapula ...I had back surgery a couple days after the surgery and then shoulder surgery later in the summer...so that I wasn't completely useless. In February this year I was having a lot of back pain associated with work hardening therapy...it turns out that my back either refractured or never really fused right, so in March I had to undergo a much bigger back surgery...12 inch incision, with a cage, 2 rods and something like 9 screws...I am on the mend..and I have the time , so that brings me to you folks....I want to build a fun, durable fatbike that will give me something to do while I'm healing and a sense of accomplishment...I have since lost my job...I was running a small independent service repair shop for a man...I was the guy in charge so he could travel and be with his family. he and I pretty much thought I would retire there...until this accident...he tried to wait for me. but he just couldn't hold out any longer and in August/September made the decision to replace me...I don't blame him...and it felt good that he went through 6 guys before he found someone he liked. I do get insurance money once every month sometimes I have to wait a month and a half..but it comes in and I play catchup on my bills...im pretty sure there will be a settlement someday, but I have to get better first...My follow up to my surgeon last week...I was told that I wont be ready to go back to work for at least 8 to 12 months with healing and therapy....
    So given the information of me building a long lasting, durable fat bike with 31 inch inseam,270lbs...I'm looking for real suggestions and real help....I like the Kona frames and the Specialized frames. I don't need top of the line, most expensive parts...but I do want components that will hold up and last....you can reply here or send me an email to mikesfatbike@gmail.com
    in the meantime I will be looking for a used bike stand...thanks for reading..sorry so long winded....I haven't gotten out much in the last 3 weeks. lol
    Last edited by mestude; 1 Week Ago at 03:22 PM. Reason: More clear

mtbr member
    When you say build a bike, if you mean build from scratch, then you should take a look at the framebuilders forum here (just under fatbikes in the drop down list).

If you mean assemble from components, you could a lot worse than pick up a secondhand Surly Pugsley frame. Steel strong, just about unbreakable, and well proven.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    When you say build a bike, if you mean build from scratch, then you should take a look at the framebuilders forum here (just under fatbikes in the drop down list).

If you mean assemble from components, you could a lot worse than pick up a secondhand Surly Pugsley frame. Steel strong, just about unbreakable, and well proven.
    Thanks for that Velo. . I actually not sure... I'm thinking about finding a great frame and then building/assembling with new components... Surely Pugsley frame.... I will look into that.. Thank you so much. BTW. I did post this same thing in the frame builders area. I don't plans on building my own frame. Rather buying a frame set and going from there.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Trek Farley frame if you want a 190 mm rear. Look on Facebook fat bike trader for parts.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Rocky jo

turtles make me hot
    2015 Whiteout AL Frameset - Fatbikes

I have a few of these and built them all up exactly as you described. Doing one right now for my son.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    2015 Whiteout AL Frameset - Fatbikes

I have a few of these and built them all up exactly as you described. Doing one right now for my son.
    Thank you so much NYrr. I will check them out. I'm assuming for, strong, well built frames. Would you mind if I pick your brain on other components as I start putting it together..... Its too bad. There are not many medium frames left. I really like the look and build of this frame. But I'm not sure I want to ride a girly purple bike for a long time.
    Last edited by mestude; 1 Week Ago at 07:01 PM. Reason: More info

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mestude View Post
    Thank you so much NYrr. I will check them out. I'm assuming for, strong, well built frames. Would you mind if I pick your brain on other components as I start putting it together.
    Knock yourself out. I'm happy to help.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'd go with a steel frame fatbike with clearance for the widest tires available which are currently 5.05". I'm not sure if you are going to be riding in snow or sand but if so, you'lol want to floatation. I've seen photos of Surly Ice Cream Trucks with those size tires on an XL size frame. I don't like that it uses a press fit bottom bracket but you can buy it as a frame. Whatever you go with I'd make sure you get 150mm and 190mm spacing for the front and rear wheels so you have clearance for big tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    I'd go with a steel frame fatbike with clearance for the widest tires available which are currently 5.05". I'm not sure if you are going to be riding in snow or sand but if so, you'lol want to floatation. I've seen photos of Surly Ice Cream Trucks with those size tires on an XL size frame. I don't like that it uses a press fit bottom bracket but you can buy it as a frame. Whatever you go with I'd make sure you get 150mm and 190mm spacing for the front and rear wheels so you have clearance for big tires.
    Thanks A-K. I will definitely keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What do you guys think of this. 2014 Kona Wo. I could take the parts off, sell them cheap and rebuild. The tires alone should bring some cash. I can get the bike for 800. Kona frames have a great reputation.
    Awesome bike, in like new shape.
    The studded 45nrth Dillinger tires are a little over a year old and are in great shape. The front is a 5", the rear 4".
    Everything else is stock. The bike looks almost brand new. Mechanically sound. Pedals and pump not included.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I pulled the trigger on a surly ice cream truck frame. it is a frame that I read a lot of good things and I could find one in my size and a color I like. so it begins

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Congrats! Make sure to show us pics! You're going to love it!!
    Have fun building.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Congrats! Make sure to show us pics! You're going to love it!!
    Have fun building.
    I hope so CDN. I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know why some parts are better than others... And there doesn't seem to be reference place to find any if this stuff out... Except here. I hope you are all prepared for a lot of questions. I'm sure a lot of them are going to seem stupid. Sorry in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No worries. First thing I would do is, check out a build sheet of a complete ICT. This is give you some of the build specs needed when shopping for parts. As for what's better than what, only you can decide what components you want... lots of reviews on the web. Price vs weight vs durability vs function, etc. All personal preference.

turtles make me hot
    Here's some of the stuff I use...
    Hope or Bike Hub Store hubs, Surly My Other Brother Darryl rims, Raceface Aeffect crankset, Wolftooth chainring for Raceface Cinch(28 or 30 tooth), Sram NX or GX 1x11 shifter and derailleur, Shimano 11-44 XT cassette...
    What l
    kind of riding will you be doing? What's your local terrain like? It'll help us decide on tires.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If you want a semi-bespoke frame, you could check out Ventana . Sherwood will do a lot of customization.

mtbr member
    Nice! For your size and weight you can't go wrong with a tough chromoly steel frame. 4" wide tires are plenty for the summer unless you are doing a lot of riding in sand or soft conditions. If that's the case I'd go wider. For winter, if you get deep snow and a lot of lightly packed down trails, you'll want as big and wide of tires as you can get. 5.05" are the biggest available right now. I'd also go with 100mm wide wheels.

CND has a great idea of using a spec sheet off a factory bike to base your build off of. It'll be cool to watch your build progress.