mtbr member
    Feb 2014

I sipped the PUNCH!!!

So I've been thru a couple bike shops her in NH over the last couple of days looking a Fatbikes. Today I went in to a shop and looked at a custom Fatty. The shop let me take it for a spin in the parking lot. Now I'm in big trouble. So now I'm contemplating selling a Trek Fuel EX8. To make room. Damn punch!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just do it... You know you want to... It'll make you feel good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    They are different bikes for different riding styles, I wonder how much action my fat bike will see his summer.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    People keep saying fat bikes are slow, and really just for Snow and sand. They can be slow but they can also be as fast or faster than other mountain bikes. It's all in the bike setup and type of trail/riding. I talked to a very fast rider who has a Borealis with HED carbon wheels and he beat his personal record on a rocky trail going up and down it. He was faster on His 22.5 lb carbon fat bike than he was on any of his other mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    A lot of bike shops on the coast have Fatties. Tri-City in Rochester, Papa Wheelies and Trek in Portsmouth. Both bike shops in Exeter have Fatties. Each of them had quite a few last I checked.

Human Test Subject
    I read this as 'slipped' the punch. Its apparent that I need to spar more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I think the punch I sipped was spiked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Your eyes are getting heavy, you want a fatty ( not the one from Saturday night either)
    When you a wake you will go buy a fatbike of your dreams "clap"clap"
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I tasted the fatty this past Saturday. I am now beginning plans to build one over the course of the next year or so (while riding the 29r I loved and was in budget, that I ordered on Sunday)

I am a noob, but in my perception of speed, the fatty did just as well or better than any of the other bikes I test rode. It also put the biggest smile on my face. The problem was being 2.5x more than I could afford.

I am really leaning towards getting the Surly Moonlander frame and Clownshoes, and going crazy from there. If I break it up over time I'll likely come out spending even more money than I would have just buying a built bike, but it'll be MINE and there wont be another like it.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk 300WM View Post
    I tasted the fatty this past Saturday. I am now beginning plans to build one over the course of the next year or so (while riding the 29r I loved and was in budget, that I ordered on Sunday)

I am a noob, but in my perception of speed, the fatty did just as well or better than any of the other bikes I test rode. It also put the biggest smile on my face. The problem was being 2.5x more than I could afford.

I am really leaning towards getting the Surly Moonlander frame and Clownshoes, and going crazy from there. If I break it up over time I'll likely come out spending even more money than I would have just buying a built bike, but it'll be MINE and there wont be another like it.
    Look at the 9 zero 7 190MM frames.

mtbr member
    I know what you're thinking. Why didn't I take the blue pill?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Beer bong that punch!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It seems so stupid. I'm literally trying to dump a Fuel ex8 so I can grab one of these fatties. I have a few friends that transplanted to CO and they made the switch. First it was for the snow then it was to get through the muddy shoulder season. Then they said the next thing they knew they were riding them all year long. Now they swear by them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    People keep saying fat bikes are slow, and really just for Snow and sand. They can be slow but they can also be as fast or faster than other mountain bikes. It's all in the bike setup and type of trail/riding. I talked to a very fast rider who has a Borealis with HED carbon wheels and he beat his personal record on a rocky trail going up and down it. He was faster on His 22.5 lb carbon fat bike than he was on any of his other mountain bikes.
    It's true, the world cup was won by a fat bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.