mtbr member
    Jun 2015

I need a suspension fork.

Anyone know anything about this fork?
    https://lunacycle.com/carbon-fat-bike-fork/

Also opinions on forks: Bluto vs Wren vs Lauf vs others like the Luna one linked above?

I'll be purchasing one for this summer. What's the difference between a 100mm and 120mm travel, besides the 20mm. Anything I should take into consideration when purchasing a fork?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would never buy a suspension fork without detailed information on the damping system. A rigid fork is better than a POS/ill performing suspension fork, in my experience. I've learned the hard way from "suspension forks" that were nothing more than just springs with no damper to higher end stuff limited by extremely poor damper design. I won't take the "leap of faith" without some assurance that what's in there isn't some simplistic pumping-rod or other crude damping system that will feel worse the faster you go and the bigger the bumps get. Cut-aways, explanations detailing what type of system and how the high/low speed rebound and compression circuits work, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    It looks like chinese "noname" fork with Bluto internals. You can find it on ebay, for about 100$ less (of original Bluto or Lunacycle cost).
    I have seen single report so far of using this fork here, in chinese carbon thread (nothing bad except oil level being too low?).
    If the internals are all Bluto, and saving a bit of weight is important, might be worth trying it out.

Sent from my SM-G900F

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I dunno, with this level of detailed tech specs, how could anyone doubt that it's going to be great!

"Top quality fork better than any other fat fork on the market."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need a suspension fork.-carbon_fat_fork-2__29946.1486443500.1280.1280.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm about to sell mine from my 2016 Scott Big Ed. It's the Bluto 100mm RL Solo Air Version. LMK if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    "This fork has been overbuilt to make it twice as strong as a traditional alloy fork"

So....with 32mm stanchions, and a weight of 3.5lbs, it's somehow built "twice as strong".

Color me skeptical....and not interested....at any price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I dunno, with this level of detailed tech specs, how could anyone doubt that it's going to be great!

This fork seems legit, the cat sold me on it, I would trust my cat to be safe with this fork.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My bike came with a 100mm Bluto and I ended up selling it. I like the fat bike much more with a carbon fork. I found trail riding (non-snow) with a Bluto on a fat bike to be sort of lame. Fat bikes are not the quiver killer many people make them out to be, IMHO.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is anyone gonna help this guy? Okay, I'll go:

That fork is shite, buy it only if you want to prove us correct.

Rigid - lighter, more precise, rougher riding

Lauf - lightest suspension fork, suffers lateral flex when hard charging, no damping, more suspension than no suspension, but not equal to a real suspension fork.

Bluto - Not the worst, not the best, think Reba made fat, works okay for a hardtail, gets overtaxed when pushed hard, fair balance of weight-cost-performnce, most recent version works far better than v.1

Wren-beefy and heavy, longish travel fat fork, torsional play is significant, suffers from lateral flex due to compression side moving independently of damping side, some recall issues which have been fixed, best and only big hit fat bike fork, easy to fix and adjust,

If you really want suspension, either the Lauf or the Bluto will work, it just depends on your expectations. Wren is overkill on a hardtail.

If you have experience with a decent suspension fork on a trail bike, you'll probably prefer the Bluto.

If you just want to take the "sting" out of riding and you're not going to ride aggressively on dirt, the Lauf may be your ticket.

Demo, demo, demo

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Or the RST Renegade. Heavier but cheaper Bluto

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'd go with the big names. Easily available replacement parts etc.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    If you really want suspension, either the Lauf or the Bluto will work,
    As will, a Lefty.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

turtles make me hot
    OP, how big are the tires on your bike? My bike currently has 5" tires on 80mm rims. I don't have smaller fat wheels.
    I have ridden a bike with 65mm rims and 4" tires with a suspension fork and it was a blast.
    I'm pretty sure it was 3.8 Knards on Marge Lites on a Mukluk. It was a Carver suspension fork. Felt like a BMX bike on steroids. As much fun as that bike was, I never felt the need to put a suspension fork on my fat bike with the fat wheels. I'll probably get a Pike for my 29+ wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

Nice scratching post.

mtbr member
    Check out the Fat Bike Trader on FB. There are currently 3 Bluto's that I have seen that are between $325 and $450. New take offs. I am currently running a 100mm Bluto on my Farley7 and a m growing very fond of it. Does a really good job for what it is. Worth a look.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nurse Ben has a good summation there but I would ask a few questions before making suggestions.

1) How heavy are you? The Bluto does seem to have a definite rider weight in mind.

2) How aggressive do you ride, this more than almost anything will shape the decision on the fork you need.

Example:
    I am 225lb, aggressive rider with a FS FB I went with the Wren after reading and suggestions and glad I did. Where my brother-in-law is 135lbs, not real aggressive also on a FS FB the Bluto works great for him.

One that Nurse Ben left off that others have suggested is the Lefty from what I have read that is supposed to be super sweet.

Professional Crastinator
    You need a fork?

I am selling a fork.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the help guys, I really wanted a Lefty, but wanted the capability to swap back to rigid for the winter.

I ended up getting a Wren, and am excited for it to arrive. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by F@Tom View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, I really wanted a Lefty, but wanted the capability to swap back to rigid for the winter.

Post pics and show it off, woop woop

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    Nurse Ben has a good summation there but I would ask a few questions before making suggestions.

1) How heavy are you? The Bluto does seem to have a definite rider weight in mind.

2) How aggressive do you ride, this more than almost anything will shape the decision on the fork you need.

Example:
    I am 225lb, aggressive rider with a FS FB I went with the Wren after reading and suggestions and glad I did. Where my brother-in-law is 135lbs, not real aggressive also on a FS FB the Bluto works great for him.

One that Nurse Ben left off that others have suggested is the Lefty from what I have read that is supposed to be super sweet.
    I didn't ignore it, just figured he wouldn't want to change hubs. Same goes for a Fox plus fork, fits 4" tires, but need a boost hub.

Look to Sea Otter...

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by F@Tom View Post

Lefty works amazing in the winter too, you won't want to swap back to rigid Moose-tracks stink to ride across.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Just waiting till I get off work then it's off to the trails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Dnm usd-6

120mm travel. Used for over 1 year. No issues. Heavy compared to my Bluto. Cost me only 350$.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need a suspension fork.-image.jpg  

I need a suspension fork.-image.jpg