mtbr member

I need a replacement Novatec cassette body

I need a replacement Novatec cassette body for my D202SB rear hub on my fat bike. SRAM 10 speed cassette, came with my BD Nightrain. Really just the pawls, but I'll do an entire cassette body/freehub if that's what it takes to get me rolling again. Can anyone help? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I destroyed the Novatec freehub on my Gravity Monster and went through the same nightmare. I ended up buying a cheap replacement wheel because I couldn't find the freehub anywhere.

mtbr member
    Grr... I'm finding some ebay ones that look like the right thing, but at $35+ it's too expensive to just see. I tried the Novatech website contact form, hopefully I get somewhere. I sucks having the bike out of commission because of teensy tiny pawls...

mtbr member

Professional Crastinator
    Look somewhere in the Sturgis/NightTrail thread. I think a few people went straight to Novatec and got good results.
    Er, not the shopping site, but the company contact page.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I've submitted a contact request via the Novatec website but no response yet. In the meantime, the shop I linked to above has the pawls only as well as replacement freehubs. I'm going to try that out.

mtbr member
    OP Update,
    Ordering from BDop was a success, but I didn't order enough parts. I ordered replacement pawls and also a new freehub, thinking this would give me a replacement/upgrade as well as the old one with new pawls as a backup. Unfortunately, the ratchet ring was also damaged and when the new freehub went on it would not freewheel properly. Took things back apart and popped out the ratchet ring and found it to be broken in half. So I've ordered a replacement one, my D202SB uses the press-fit ratchet ring. Apparently older ones used a threaded one.

And a comment about ordering from BDop out of Taiwan, the shipping is a little more expensive but it got here faster than most domestic shipping from within the US! They use Fedex International Priority and provide you with tracking information. My order placed this Monday arrived by Wednesday morning. My order last night (Wednesday) is scheduled to be here by Friday. I didn't believe the scheduled delivery date from the tracking info email because it seemed highly unlikely for a part ordered from Taiwan to arrive so quickly without paying a fortune for special shipping, but it showed up as scheduled. It had to be signed for. Pretty impressive and makes the world seem like a small place.

I did get a quick initial response from Novatec that suggested that this was a warranty issue that they could help me with. I started down the RMA route but it requires me shipping my entire wheel to them for troubleshooting. I decided to purchase my own replacement parts so I have an upgraded new freehub and the old one as backup. I think I would probably have paid almost as much in shipping to send my wheel off and end up without a spare for backup in the end.

#THELEGEND
    Not knocking anyone, glad the OP got his bike working or will have tomorrow. But this is exactly why I didn't order a BD fat bike. Well this and cheap hangers. Good job OP, hopefully the new freehub holds up, keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    You'd rule out a bike over a hub? I really like my Nightrain. The hub has been the only issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need a replacement Novatec cassette body-nightrain.jpg  

mtbr member
    Links to the parts you bought, what did work, and what didn't?

Late to the party, but I put an origin8 hub on my boris (170mm QR hub), and so far, it's working great. Same hub dimensions as the stock hub, so same spokes and everything. The following link is for the origin8 190mm TA hub. Don't know how much the OP paid for the parts for his hub, but replacing the entire hub could be a cheaper option based on availability.
    https://smile.amazon.com/HUB-OR8-FB1.../dp/B00H8D1ZHY
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    You'd rule out a bike over a hub? I really like my Nightrain. The hub has been the only issue.
    Hub and paper soft der hanger, hells yeah.

I've had bikes in the past with sh!t hangers, it sucks to deal with esp if your breaking several on a weekend riding trip.

With regards to hubs, fat bike wheels are one of the most expensive parts on said bikes, so to buy a bike with known hub issues, that parts are very difficult to find, not cheap or to have to have the wheel rebuilt which is also costly and just not economically sound. Plus at the time I was researching bikes, BD was also only offering their selections with crappy rims, now they offer SR Mulefut which sweetens the deal a bit, but still a costly rebuild to replace a part you know will fail. For myself, it just wasn't a good deal.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    I recently saw a listing on ebay for the Novatec 32H hubs from a seller in Australia, but still difficult to find in the US. I like my Novatec D102SB with the 10mm thru axle, not sure why more of those aren't made. I guess the 177or 197*12 is new standard. Who makes the Origin8 hubs?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Links to the parts you bought, what did work, and what didn't?
    BDop website for Novatec hub parts.
    Wheel Parts

The proper freehub for the D202SB is the "B-2 TYPE." I bought the one with the "ABG" for $50. You'll see it listed in various places on that site as it is compatible with various hubs
    Wheel Parts-FREEHUBS 11SPD

I also bought replacement pawls. I haven't tried them yet, they are going with my old freehub as a backup. Note that the D202SB has its own selection from the drop down, something about them being unique for that hub.
    Wheel Parts-PAWLS and SPRING

The ratchet ring is the toothed part that the freehub pawls connect with to drive the hub. It is in the hub portion attached to the wheel. Apparently Novatec used to use a thread-in style, but the guy from Novatec told me via email that they were experiencing issues with that design when used with high-tooth cogs of 11 speed cassettes. So they switched over to a press-fit one. Mine had the press-fit.
    Wheel Parts-RATCHET RING

For my first order of freehub and pawls, shipping was $15. For my second order of ratchet ring, shipping was 10$.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The Novatec freehub assembly does seem pretty weak. Over the years I've had their hubs on an road bike as well as a fat bike and overall I'm not impressed. Novatec hubs are just not reliable. I think they make hubs for basically everyone, I'm not sure why their private label hubs seem so weak.

BTW: for BD bikes, only the Sturgis and Nighttrain have notably weak hangers. My Boris the Evil Brut has a thick, tough hanger.

mtbr member
    Max out your credit cards to purchase the most expensive top of the line wheelset there is.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Who makes the Origin8 hubs?
    I think it's straight Origin8. Not a rebadge.

No problem with my derailure hangers on my BD bikes, until I smashed the derailure into a rock at speed. Yea, that kinda bent the hanger.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I just bought a complete Framed wheel with thier 6 pawl PubHub for $200.
    2017 Motobecane Sturgis NX

mtbr member
    OP update,
    BDop parts have put the hub back into working order, as well as providing a spare by getting new pawls for the old free hub.

Novatec also got back to me this week and they are providing a new free hub and ratchet ring under warranty. So I'll now have redundant backups.

mtbr member
    So just to provide additional follow up. I did my first ride on the fixed setup last night and it wasn't quite flawless. Conditions were several inches of fresh snow and temperatures in the single digits (Fahrenheit). After about a quarter mile of making first tracks on the trail, the cassette locked up again!!! Grrr. I walked/rode it back to the vehicle and before loading it up I decided to take the rear wheel off and see if the situation changed with better access to the cassette. I grabbed it with both hands firmly twisted it which broke it loose. It seemed like it was frozen and I busted that up. Following that, it seemed to work normally. I decided to try the ride again and it worked fine for the next hour. Strange behavior and I hope it was just a hiccup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Hub and paper soft der hanger, hells yeah.

I've had bikes in the past with sh!t hangers, it sucks to deal with esp if your breaking several on a weekend riding trip.

With regards to hubs, fat bike wheels are one of the most expensive parts on said bikes, so to buy a bike with known hub issues, that parts are very difficult to find, not cheap or to have to have the wheel rebuilt which is also costly and just not economically sound. Plus at the time I was researching bikes, BD was also only offering their selections with crappy rims, now they offer SR Mulefut which sweetens the deal a bit, but still a costly rebuild to replace a part you know will fail. For myself, it just wasn't a good deal.
    Well, looks like you are right. I have had to straighten my hanger on my Night Train a couple times, I'm glad I bought a hanger alignment tool at Christmas. And unfortunately my hub is toast again. The replaced ratchet ring broke into many pieces and the interface on the hub that the ratchet ring press fits into is also gouged and damaged. Novatec seems to be trying to do the right thing for me and will offer a warranty solution. But I'm not too keen on replacing this hub with the same thing again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's too bad. I've had great luck with my novatec hubs. The axle unthreads and causes thr pawl issues. Once i loctited my axles i haven't had an issue.

mtbr member
    I'm done messing with these hubs. After killing two free hub bodies, the whole thing finally sh*t the bed. Even with loctite it worked itelf loose, or ramped up tighter till the cassette froze, ratchet ring cracked in multiple locations, all three bearings shot, pawls are in terrible shape. Still under the 2 year warranty from Novatec, talked with a rep - said they'd replace parts and that its still an on going issue with both 1st gen and 2nd gen rear hubs - original ratchet ring threaded in, 2nd gen press fit - both failing. Its a novatec hub on a weinmann rim , got two years out it (almost), not point throwing good money or time after bad on this crap anymore.

The $300 Borealis wheelset has been bombproof - going that route for some 80"s - Maybe 100"s.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    Well, looks like you are right. I have had to straighten my hanger on my Night Train a couple times, I'm glad I bought a hanger alignment tool at Christmas. And unfortunately my hub is toast again. The replaced ratchet ring broke into many pieces and the interface on the hub that the ratchet ring press fits into is also gouged and damaged. Novatec seems to be trying to do the right thing for me and will offer a warranty solution. But I'm not too keen on replacing this hub with the same thing again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    That's too bad. I've had great luck with my novatec hubs. The axle unthreads and causes thr pawl issues. Once i loctited my axles i haven't had an issue.
    Def. check for lateral play often with the Novatec hubs. If they loosen up, the freehub will disintegrate shortly thereafter.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I had a very easy time rebuilding my broken freehub with Wheel Parts-PAWLS and SPRING