Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

i need help Alaskan Alloy with Bluto or Boris sprung evil brut

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Petos 
#1 ·
Guys I need help I have to choose between these two bikes soon can anyone help...I have had the Alaskan on order since October but tired of all the changes ...can anyone help me decide??

#2 ·
Went down to the House to check out a Mini-Sota for my wife. I really wanted this to work out for her. She's 5' 1 1/2" and can't fit on a typical 15" Framed, or Pugsley due to stand over. It did not work due to the fact that her feet would hit the front wheel while pedaling on a turn (7 1/2 foot size, but considerably longer with winter footwear, plus it's a proprietary crank with 65mm and a 1 x 9. They don't have anything shorter than a 75mm crank to go to 2 x 9. While there I did check out the other Framed bikes, and did not have a really good feel for them. I'd go for the Boris, partly because I do have a Boris X9 and really like it much better after comparing the two hard tails. Stand over height is a big concern for me and the Boris has a much better chance of protecting the boys. This is very much a personal opinion, but I have been on both bikes and compared the two of them so take it for what it's worth. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Thank u bumpy....I really value your opinion and thank you for the response I have been contaplating on buying the boris evil brut sprung but my only concern is the bb and the crankset I'm 6'6" 250 plus..so I need something that's gonna be able to hold my weight thru bumpy trails and climbs ..will the boris be strong enough to hold me? That's my only worry..you know?..

#4 ·
I'm not even pushing a 150 lbs soaking wet. I would encourage you to go through the Boris threads and look for guys that are about your weight and see what they have to say. I haven't seen much in the way of complaints from anyone. Seems like there's a problem or two with every BB so sometimes it's a crap shoot. The frame is rock solid.

#5 ·
I just checked out some framed bikes. The 3.0, 2.0 and the ladies one. All seemed pretty shoddy in workmanship. The rims aren't even welded. There's a visible gap where they're attached. The frame looks o.k. but not impressive. The welds aren't clean and there's a lot of paint to hide the imperfections. I think they're throwaway bikes. Good for rentals or folks that aren't serious trail riders. They're more like beach bikes then trail ready IMO.

#6 ·
I live in Minnesota and we see a lot of Framed bikes around here. Most people seem to really like them. I've gone to look at them at the-house and the Alaskan is a very nice looking bike. The welds are sanded and the frame almost looks like carbon. My daughter and I have Fatboys, my youngest has a min-sota, and I just placed an order for an Alaskan for my wife.

#7 ·
Thanks guys for the replies..the Alaskan is an amazing looking bike with descent components I have had a 2.0 and loved it..but the Alaskan looks nothing like the other framed fatties they are a different breed so I'm banking on it being a good bike..and with the guys who has tested them I have heard nothing but great reviews...I know I'm gonna be sick when it gets here...my wife has one on order will see how awesome it is soon...will post what and how good it is soon..I'm on the fence with the boris for myself I have a fattie already i bought locally.so I'm gonna see what I may have missed out on when it gets here..) I have a feeling the guys at the house are gonna put a bike/package together that's gonna make me envious I'm sure ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.