mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Hope I got my Kona Wozo

Hi guys,

Long time reader first time poster.
    I've seen a few threads about the Kona Wozo so I thought I'd post a few pictures of mine. I'm luckily enough to work in my LBS with the guy who originally came up with the concept and designed the Wozo. He's had the prototype for a year now and I've finally gotten my one. I've added a few upgrades as well.
    I'm not the most technically savy with geometry and what not but I know how to ride a bike and thats what matters I suppose. So I'll try and answer all question anybody has.
    Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I got my Kona Wozo-1.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-2.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-3.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-9.1.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-9.2.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-10.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-11.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-12.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-5.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-6.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-9.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-13.jpg  

I got my Kona Wozo-14.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Looks awesome man! Congrats on the sweet bike.
    I may be ordering one tonight. I am between sizes though. I'm 5 10.5".
    Leaning towards medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm 6 foot and a medium is a little to small and a large is a just right. I've gotten used to riding larger bikes and i find them more comfortable to ride.

Norđwegr
    What's the bb width? Cool bike, I almost bought one myself

passed out in your garden
    Looks great!!! (not my colour though)

What size rims?
    and how wide (at the widest point) is the Minion FBR?
    I believe they are a 4.7 from memory, and lve been unsure whether or not to get them.

Have you had it on the scales?
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If someone had told me they were building up a purple and green bike I would have assumed they were colorblind or drunk... your bike looks freaking awesome, love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Looks great!

Is that the 4.0 version of the minion fbr in the rear? How's the clearance at the chainstays?

Also, is there any chance you could measure the width of the bottom bracket shell?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm not sure what the BB width is. It comes with a press fit Raceface BB. If I remember, I'll check when i get home form work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Looks great!!! (not my colour though)

What size rims?
    and how wide (at the widest point) is the Minion FBR?
    I believe they are a 4.7 from memory, and lve been unsure whether or not to get them.

Have you had it on the scales?
    The rims are 80mm. The Sunringle Mulefoot rims are good. are on the 2016/17 Kona Wo as well. But the hubs are Joytech so thats next on the list of upgrades. Probably Hope.
    The Minions are 4.8 but I didnt measure them to see if they actually are. They are great tyres for hard packed trails and give good grip on grass and mud

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JoCo View Post
    Looks great!

Is that the 4.0 version of the minion fbr in the rear? How's the clearance at the chainstays?

Also, is there any chance you could measure the width of the bottom bracket shell?
    I'll measure the BB when I get home from work if I remember. Its the 4.8 Minion and the clearance is fine but it rubs slightly if i pedal hard when the frame flexes slightly. The same goes for the chain when in 1st. But it only rubs when I pedal hard.

Ive read the Minions are good, we have a lot of wet here, currently running Ground Control 4.5s (maybe they are 4.6s?) on 90mm rims, they are good, but l want to try something a little more aggresive. Thats why l ask for the widest point, to see how my chainstay clearance will be.
    I have ChangYong 4.9s (same as FatBNimbles) and chainstay clearance is tight. Not good in mud, and totally sh!t in clay, see below

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Ive read the Minions are good, we have a lot of wet here, currently running Ground Control 4.5s (maybe they are 4.6s?) on 90mm rims, they are good, but l want to try something a little more aggresive. Thats why l ask for the widest point, to see how my chainstay clearance will be.
    I have ChangYong 4.9s (same as FatBNimbles) and chainstay clearance is tight. Not good in mud, and totally sh!t in clay, see below

WOW that picture made me laugh

When you knew how long it took me to get out, and how heavy my feet were, youd laugh more

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    BB is 100mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've got one on order. Hopefully it ships soon. Converting to singlespeed and adding a Wren. Very excited!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    I've got one on order. Hopefully it ships soon. Converting to singlespeed and adding a Wren. Very excited!
    You're lucky you ordered one. I believe they are sold out until next spring. Other than fat-bike.com getting the demo Wozo from the dealer/press launch, We got the first two production models. And the other one ended up with 29er wheels for a XC race. Discusting!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Jeez you got me worried now. My dealer is still waiting to hear from the Kona rep to get a ship date. He was told by September 20th at the latest. Hope it wasn't bull.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    They way kona work, in Europe anyway, is they only produce a certain number of models per quarter. they way they can gauge sales and not over produce. So all the dealers had to submit their orders before the shipping started and it was first come first serve. If he already has it ordered back in august then all you have to do is wait for it to clear customs in the depo in Holland before they get shipped world wide.
    We only managed to get ours two weeks ago because my boss works with Kona and designed the Wozo. He tested the original Wo as well.
    Interesting fact, Honzo means drunken monkey, so when they sent us the Wozo prototype they called it the Fat Monkey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Awesome. This really is my ideal bike so I'm super stoked for it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Here is his the prototype next to the production model. The only differences were adjustments to the BB and chain-stay to make it work better with a 1x chain setup.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHgn3-TB...n-by=garrydavo

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficiallyColin View Post
    You're lucky you ordered one. I believe they are sold out until next spring. Other than fat-bike.com getting the demo Wozo from the dealer/press launch, We got the first two production models. And the other one ended up with 29er wheels for a XC race. Discusting!!
    Not true man! the XL demo from dealer camp is on the showroom floor here in Grand Rapids MI

Rocks belong
    I want a Wozo frame. M or L!
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '15 Surly Instigator 650b & 26+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficiallyColin View Post
    The Minions are 4.8 but I didnt measure them to see if they actually are.
    Interesting, I thought they claimed only 4" tires would fit the rear....

Seeing those pics makes me think a 29+ very well may fit the rear also, even though they have stated it won't.

BTW that's a sweet build!!
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:14 PM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Weird question but did you get this as a frame only? If not, does the bluto come with the handy-dandy little split crown race?

Thanks.

aka bOb
    That is one sexy steed right there!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What in the holy hell? I ordered my bike in mid July, why don't I have it?

Aaaarrrhhhggggggg!! Anyways, I was told that a huge shipping company out of Asia (Singapore) that ships most bikes out of Taiwan went belly up and will delay all bikes built there for some time....let the rumor mill spin

Nice build! 4.8's are tight; do they make those tires in 4.6?

And, so...how's it ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Are you running a 12speed?

Also, in the last pik (#14), it looks like there is a braze on/bolt on the side of the down tube near the head tube. What would that be for? It doesn't look like there is one on the other side?!

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubby Chaser View Post
    Also, in the last pik (#14), it looks like there is a braze on/bolt on the side of the down tube near the head tube. What would that be for? It doesn't look like there is one on the other side?!
    It's for P-Clips to secure the cable for a stealth dropper. Since he's using a non-stealth dropper he can run the cable along the toptube.

Newer Kona Honzos are the same.

Rocks belong
    Please chime in again once you get more trail time on it. I'm curious if this bike could seriously be a '1-bike' with B+ or 29er wheels in the summer and fat wheels in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Weird question but did you get this as a frame only? If not, does the bluto come with the handy-dandy little split crown race?

Thanks.
    Don't understand your split crown race question and how it relates to frame only?
    '15 Ibis HD3

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by aelf View Post
    4-5 inch tires make a one bike year round quiver. Why give up capability by going with plus or 29?
    Quicker. Easier steering. Good choice of tire options for aggressive/rocky trail riding.

Fat winter/skinny summer - rowdy all year long!
    '15 Ibis HD3

WNC Native
    OfficiallyColin - Any access to a 29+ rear wheel to test for fit?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew