Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

I finished my mukluk yesterday...

And all up as pictured below it turned out at just under 31 pounds. Its the large size mukluk 2 frame, and I spent probably about $1800 building it counting all the fat-specific parts I needed to order (including the frame/fork) for it, and add another grand or so for the parts I already had in my collection. The only gremlin that came up on a hour plus ride yesterday was I apparently selected a chain that was too short from my parts collection, and I was unable to crossgear past the 28T cog with the 34T ring. So I spent most of the ride just using the granny ring and shifting up/down the cassette as the terrain dictated. Even though the snow did reduce the approach/departure angles on a few features I was still climbing way more stuff on this thing that I do in the summer time on much lighter bikes.

Let's see now... parts breakdown and mods related to them

Frame : 2012 Salsa Mukluk 2, size large
    Fork : Salsa Fat Fork
    Headset : Steelwool sealed cartridge bearing (functionally its like a CB/King, the bearings are intergral to the cups)
    Bottom Bracket : FSA Platinum Team DH ISIS
    Crankset : FSA Alphadrive ISIS 175mm with 22/34 Vuelta SE Gold Anno rings and Raceface rockguard
    Cassette : Recon Gold TiNi coated Alloy, 12-36 (I took a ten speed one, dropped the 11T and spaced the cassette over so I could run the wheel perfectly balanced on the dishing)
    Chain : Currently a Sachs PC-1070 hollow pin but will likely replace with a KMC X-10SL
    Pedals : Shimano SPD-M520
    Shifters : DuraAce 7900 10 speed bar-end on Paul's hinge-version thumbie mounts
    Brakeset : Hygia Usagi 2-piston hydraulic with 160mm rotors (routed the rear line along the toptube and seatstay using zip-ties and three of those SRAM fork cable guides they include with all rockshox forks)
    Derailleurs : Deore XT Direct Mount front derailleur with problem solvers adapter and Deore XT Shadow SGS cage rear derailleur
    Saddle : Velo Titanium
    Seatpost : Thomson Elite
    Handlebar : Zoom Carbon/Alloy low-rise, 620mm width
    Stem : Titec Titanium, 135mm x 10 degree
    Grips : MEC Locking neoprene foam
    Hubs : Salsa Fat Hubs, 135/170mm
    Spokes & Nipples: DT Revolution Black 14/17 DB that are 3 Cross - Double twisted laced with Splinedrive Gold Alloy nipples
    Skewers : Salsa Fat Skewers
    Rims : Rolling Daryl cutouts with gold annodized duck tape for rimtape (the tape is layered outwards/inwards so the outer gold shows thru but its still stuck tight inside the rim)
    Tubes : QBP Super-thin DH 2.5-2.7 tubes
    Tires : Surly Nate 120tpi wire bead in back and Larry 120tpi foldable bead in front
    Shifter cables/housing : Stainless wires with 4mm SIS housing and DuraAce O-ring sealed housing end caps
    Accessories : BBB Bell, Cateye composite cage and a stuffed hot chilli I pulled out of one of those Arcade Token/Robot Claw machines on the night before I finished/test rode the bike.

I can actually get the bike lighter still with a pedal swap, some Ti crank bolts I have coming, and replacing the locking grips with something like the ESI Silicones which will hold super tight with just hairspray.

I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Awesome setup. I've been thinking about giving fatbikes a try. Now I have bike envy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well played, sir. With the exception of the stem color (can you ano it gold or red or even black please?) and the semi-gloss fork w/the matte frame, the color contrasts are really nice. 31 pounds is envy-inspiring for not being a $4K build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm curious - does the twisted spoke thing buy you anything in terms of wheel strength, stability, etc.? I've never seen that before and was wondering...

Well I can't do anything about the fork, for some reason Salsa matte finished the frames and glossed the forks. They could have easily just applied a matte paint to the fork as well and had the things match properly like they do on the blue mukluks. As to the stem colour, it goes with the ti saddle rails, the ti bolt hardware, and most importantly, the length/bar diameter I prefer. If one of my polished titanium 130mm stems becomes available later this summer, I may replace the Titec with it. As to the twist lacing question, it certainly doesn't decrease the wheel strength in my experience, and I've been twist-lacing for twenty years now.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

How much does it weigh?
    Nice MEC grips.... wife has those on her Trials bike... quite nice for the price.

mtbr member
    I built up a few twist laced BMX wheels last year at the shop I work at, kids and old-school BMX riders liked them but a lot of people weren't sold on them. They trued up just fine but it was hard dialing in the spoke length and pattern at first. Nice job on the wheels and complete bike!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

bikeboatbrewski

Wink

Nice thumb shifters.

Welcome to the fat.

I weighed it after putting on an X9 chain I had (in the correct length to crossgear) and total its 30.9 pounds now. And so begins some diet upgrades to bring it back down again.

Geordie biker
    Very nice
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

I figure between grips, rotors, chain, crank bolts, rotor bolts and pedals I can knock off half a pound while enhancing the colour scheme matching at the same time.

Nuts
    Machine shop Wausau wi
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member

-bustin punks
    I like what you did with the rear brake cable. I'm pondering the switch to hydros on my Muk and it seems like their goal with the stock routing was to sell as much housing as possible. Yikes is it long, pretty much ensuring that no off the shelf hydro setup will work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    did you have any problems with the QBP tubes?

addicted to chunk
    Twisted spoke are so damn cool! I like it!
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like the spokes.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you sourcing your Ti bolt hardware?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Very Nice...

I really like that setup. I have the same bike in a stock setup. It has been a great ride this winter. One question. Nice job on the rear brake cable routing. I didn't realize how long the stock routing is, and my rear brakes are a little mushy, probably due to the fact that my cable is twice as long as yours! What kind of cable routing ties did you use on the top tube?

Thanks.

-bustin punks
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyzen View Post
    I really like that setup. I have the same bike in a stock setup. It has been a great ride this winter. One question. Nice job on the rear brake cable routing. I didn't realize how long the stock routing is, and my rear brakes are a little mushy, probably due to the fact that my cable is twice as long as yours! What kind of cable routing ties did you use on the top tube?

Thanks.
    If you read his part about the brakes in the first post, it's mentioned that they are the wrap around guides from a RockShox fork.

It's a slick idea, hopefully I can track some down to do a similar job. I couldn't find any sold separately (yet) though - just some bigger adhesive cable guides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

brake cable ties

It looks like you can get a decent pair of guides on Amazon for cheap...

Rockwerks Cable Guide Gripper Ii-Plastic