Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,008

    I cheated on my Bucksaw over the weekend

    I was in Kansas City this past weekend, and a KeninKC took me out to some local dirt on Saturday. I flew into town, so wasn't able to bring my Bucksaw this time. Ken rustled up a spare bike from a friend of his. The frame fit, but other aspects of the bike just weren't "there" for me. The skinny tires for one, but that was fine once I got more used to the trail. The handlebar layout killed me, though.

    The bars were super narrow, for one. On top of that, the Ergon grips had bar ends, which weren't a problem except that I was mashing my hands against them, trying to get my hands wider. AND, the bars were so narrow that the controls crowded my hands on the other side, encouraging me to push my hands ever wider. The twitchy handling from the narrow bars had me riding a bit more conservatively than I otherwise might.

    The trails themselves, though, were pleasantly chunky. The Bucksaw would do well there. I may start investigating a bike bag/case or two (so the wife can bring her bike, too). I flew Southwest, which allows two checked items. I certainly could have added a bike. Anyone used a bike bag or anything similar for a fatbike? I know gmats, too, and he likes EVOC bags (he just did a big trip to Switzerland with some friends and they all used those), but I'm not sure if the extra dimensions of a fatbike would require something else.

    I cheated on my Bucksaw over the weekend-11903720_10152922039371741_3073052754255752698_n.jpg

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,345
    I'm trying my EVOC bag at the end of this week.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,094
    Are you really comparing a full suspension fat bike to a 26"?

    And I have to agree, those are very narrow bars, especially with those ergon barend grips.

    Was that BURP (blue river/minor park) in the picture? Good trail, lots of rocks. Rode around there last week on my rigid fatbike.

  4. #4
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,008
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Are you really comparing a full suspension fat bike to a 26"?

    And I have to agree, those are very narrow bars, especially with those ergon barend grips.

    Was that BURP (blue river/minor park) in the picture? Good trail, lots of rocks. Rode around there last week on my rigid fatbike.
    The only thing I was really comparing was fit/layout.

    The bike rode different and I was fine with it and expected it. The cockpit setup drove me a little crazy because there wasn't anything I could do about it.

    Trail was at Shawnee Mission Park.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    971
    Harold, those narrow bars are so you can ride with handcuffs on...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  6. #6
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    13,990
    Aw dude, you are so coming home to two flat tires and a bent hanger......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,556
    You cheated on your hot GF with a fat whore. Nice move jackass.

  8. #8
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    13,990
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You cheated on your hot GF with a fat whore. Nice move jackass.
    I think it was more of a moped thing, fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you with it.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  9. #9
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    783
    Having looked at bike cases myself, I came to the conclusion that standard cases could not handle the girth of the fat wheels. I think it's safe to assume fat compatible cases would be outside of the acceptable dimensions for a standard checked baggage, and therefore, $50/trip fee (Southwest. Other airlines are more). Might as well just use a cardboard box.

  10. #10
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,345
    I think all bike cases will be outside of the size limits (usually $50 charge with most airlines) The key is to keep it less than 50lbs. That incurs even more extra charges.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #11
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    3,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    ...The bike rode different and I was fine with it and expected it. The cockpit setup drove me a little crazy because there wasn't anything I could do about it...
    Those 20/20 bars are so sweet anything else feels like poop. IMO

    Ken is a great guy, nice that he was able to set you up.

  12. #12
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I think all bike cases will be outside of the size limits (usually $50 charge with most airlines) The key is to keep it less than 50lbs. That incurs even more extra charges.
    I was thinking of cases like S&S. I know some FS bikes can be easily broken down (relatively speaking) to fit into one of these cases.

    Hard shell bike case for a folding travel bicycle

    Moot point here, since we're dealing with fat wheels. Unless you get two cases.

  13. #13
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I'm trying my EVOC bag at the end of this week.
    I'd appreciate a recap, with pics if possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Aw dude, you are so coming home to two flat tires and a bent hanger......
    Went for a short spin yesterday. I haven't been feeling great lately, so I took it easy. Legs felt good, but the lungs couldn't handle much. Harold was coo about it all. Tires only needed a couple pumps of air to top them up, and everything worked as expected.

    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Having looked at bike cases myself, I came to the conclusion that standard cases could not handle the girth of the fat wheels. I think it's safe to assume fat compatible cases would be outside of the acceptable dimensions for a standard checked baggage, and therefore, $50/trip fee (Southwest. Other airlines are more). Might as well just use a cardboard box.
    What seems to be the major limitation is the width of the whole system. Not just the wheels, but the extra width of the frame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I think all bike cases will be outside of the size limits (usually $50 charge with most airlines) The key is to keep it less than 50lbs. That incurs even more extra charges.
    Yeah, I think a soft case would be important to keep the weight down. My Bucksaw is in the low 30's for weight, so I've got a little bit of leeway to work with.

    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Those 20/20 bars are so sweet anything else feels like poop. IMO

    Ken is a great guy, nice that he was able to set you up.
    Ha! I do like my 20/20 bars. Ken definitely is a great guy. Drank some beers with him in Indy earlier this year when he was in town for work. Trying to get him to come ride here. He moved away before most of the current favorite trails were built.

    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I was thinking of cases like S&S. I know some FS bikes can be easily broken down (relatively speaking) to fit into one of these cases.

    Hard shell bike case for a folding travel bicycle

    Moot point here, since we're dealing with fat wheels. Unless you get two cases.
    Yeah, those hard cases are heavy enough that they might introduce problems. I also definitely don't want to be forced to disassemble the rear triangle in order to transport the bike.

Similar Threads

  1. Has anyone tried B+ on a Bucksaw?
    By sisu in forum 27.5+/29+
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 09:31 PM
  2. 27.5+ on Bucksaw?
    By Jonesy22 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 02:19 PM
  3. Anyone tried B+ on a Bucksaw?
    By sisu in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 06:38 AM
  4. Reserved a Bucksaw
    By Jisch in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-13-2014, 07:24 AM
  5. I feel like I have cheated on my wife
    By Salespunk in forum Ibis
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Can't find it? Just search our site!