mtbr member

We the people ... I am now an advocate, no an activist for fat biking and sun screen!

After losing much (90%) of my right ear to basal skin cancer yesterday I am now telling everyone young, older Middle age, generation 'x' what have you. If you love Fat biking as much as I do and are light skinned or not GET SOME SUN SCREEN AND USE IT! Don't let cancer sideline you nor cause you to lose body parts!

Oldbear-------AKA Fred

beer thief
    Heal fast, Fred. Hope you're doing OK.

mtbr member
    Hope you are back riding soon. Your story has been an inspiration for me.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

aka bOb
    I hear ya Fred, I am very light skinned and I will do better this year with sun block, thanks and get well fast!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yup, hear ya. I have had 4 basal cell removals. Last was 21 stitches on the length of my nose, plus 8 internal. My Dr was awesome, looks good. Blonde hair when young, plus blue eyes, much greater chances for skin stuff. I use Neutrogena dry touch 70. No issues with contacts, running into eyes and works well, swimming too. Plus a broad brimmed hat when not pedaling.
    Last edited by leeboh; 05-12-2015 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    It's in my pre-ride prep area (where I get dressed) and also in my Jeep for when I travel and ride or surf fish.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Fred,

Living at high altitude I don't tan or sunburn, tho' I do still use the sunblock cause peeps in the famdamily have had skin cancers removed. High altitude living is said to increase the likelihood of it and with a family history...can't go wrong.

Heal up so you can go out and play!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Here's an added benefit of religiously using sunscreen. You don't age (as much). I had some serious basal cells on my face back in the early 80s and have gone in for checks every year since. I get the pre-cancerous cells burned off. Some on my hands I even do myself with liquid nitrogen. I have used sunscreen every outing for decades now. I am fast approaching 60, live in the desert, and can pass for late 40s. Bikers I know that didn't use the sunscreen have aged badly.

mtbr member
    I am a Stage III Melanoma survivor, Melanoma is the most deadly of the skin cancers and is one of the fasting growing cancers today. My advice to all who frequent the outdoors is to not only use sunscreen religiously, but to know your body and look for any unusual bumps or lumps and have them checked out immediately, especially if they start changing. I got lucky and caught mine in time. Melanoma is an aggressive killer and usually shows no symptoms until it's too late. Ride healthy my friends!! Outrun the Rays
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

mtbr member
    Hello everone!

Thanks for all the great responses and support you have shown me. I am seven days post op and today at 9am I get my stitches out! Then I can back to some serious and actually fun dirt riding. Here's a pre-op selfie following by what left of my right ear, ala-yoda.I am now an advocate, no an activist for fat biking and sun screen!-sunp0088.jpgI am now an advocate, no an activist for fat biking and sun screen!-sunp0091.jpg

The beard is real and so is the grey. I have four grown kids that have made me earn each and every grey hair!
    Stay tuned for a post stitches picture Later today.

Until later------------PEACE
    Oldbear--------AKA Fred (from the Missouri Ozarks)
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

Laramie, Wyoming
    Is the sun really causing skin cancer? No one is explaining why Americans are spending less time in the sun than ever in history, to the point that vitamin D deficiency has reached epidemic proportions, and yet skin cancer is also out of control. It's not the sun, people.

mtbr member
    Not the sun? Sorry, you are wrong. I'm 50, mostly Irish, grew up in south FL, at the beach, on the ocean, and spent most of my childhood outside in nothing but shorts and sneakers. For the last 20 years I've been religiously seeing dermatologists for basil cell, and a couple squamous cell carcinoma. The places I have them most are the face and ears, arms and hands, top of my shoulders. Why? Because those are the areas most affected by direct sun!

Nowadays, my riding apparel is long sleeve, wicking shirts, full finger gloves, and sunblock on exposed skin. I wear a wide rimmed hat when I'm not in my helmet. I do try to get about 10 minutes a day of unprotected sunlight before I go into full protect mode because I know it's healthy. But once I cover up, I'm still surprised how much more comfortable I am when the sun is not beating directly on my skin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Is the sun really causing skin cancer? No one is explaining why Americans are spending less time in the sun than ever in history, to the point that vitamin D deficiency has reached epidemic proportions, and yet skin cancer is also out of control. It's not the sun, people.
    So what is it then?

Let me guess: the government, right?

since 4/10/2009
    I don't think oldbear52 frequented the cancer closets for his vanity. Certainly, tanning beds are a major contributor to skin cancer being "out of control" as you say, because the fastest growing segment of the population with skin cancer are young women who HAVE used tanning beds.

I suspect that there are a number of factors at play. One, skin cancer is especially a problem in Australia, where the "hole" (really, a thinning) of the ozone layer is located. The ozone layer protects us from some of the sun's radiation, so a reduction in thickness of that layer also will reduce our protection from the sun.

This is another factor:
    Earth's Magnetic Field Is Fading

What I think is most important, though, is exactly the phenomenon of people spending more time indoors. Sunburns are a HUGE contributing factor to skin cancer, especially when those sunburns occur during the teenage years. People spend less time outside, adapt to sun exposure far less, and become more sensitive to it. Then, when they DO spend time outside, they burn more easily.

Sunscreens: Safe and Effective? - SkinCancer.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I blame that Rock Music the kids used to listen to. Just like Lyndon Johnson. Stay in school, keep your hair short and listen to Beethoven, it's your only chance.

mtbr member
    No one gets out of here alive! Increased ultra violet light causes skin cancer. As we thin the O zone, Skin cancer rates goes up....look at polar explores, they have much higher rates of skin cancers.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Whew, I'm glad this only affects riders on fat bikes. Good thing I put my fat bike away for the summer months and am on a normal mtb. Come winter when the fat bike is brought back out, I'll be in layers to keep the sun at bay.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Okay guys, you can't have it both ways. Reports show that about 75% of Americans are severely deficient in vitamin D. Americans are deficient in vitamin D because of a lack of exposure to the sun. So if we aren't getting enough sun, and not as much as we used to get, why so many cases of skin cancer? Current research even suggests that vitamin D deficiency is a leading cause of cancer. Is it possible that we might need better diets and more regular sunlight exposure? Wait, we can't make those assumptions, that would negatively affect the pharmaceutical and food industry. We would also have to charge our eating habits if we went there and we wouldn't want to insult the 75% of Americans who are classified as obese by possibly suggesting that their diets and lack of outdoor exercise is detrimental to their health.
    No, just tell people that the sun that has been on the earth forever is harmful to them even though people throughout history spent their entire lives in the sun without skin cancer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My Mother was 100% Finnish and my Dad is a mongrel, mostly Scottish, but also has English, Irish, Welsh, who-knows what, and a French Canadian grandfather on his mother's side. One might note that said mix is one that sports fair skin. I lived in Hawaii for almost 13 years, from age 16 thru 29, was a hard core surfer and all-around waterman, and got my skin literally fried on a regular basis. I worked swing shift, and often surfed late morning or mid-day. The sunscreens available back then (late 60's thru the 70's) were worse than worthless, since they gave one a false sense of security (PreSun was one of the worthless, ineffective sunscreens that I depended on. What a scam!!!!)!
    I am now looking forward to being the poster child for skin cancer, as I am in my mid-60's, and have a shitload of moles all over my body that need monitoring. I need to go in soon and get checked. Again. I am all too familiar with the liquid nitrogen. I had one weird looking growth (a cutaneous horn) surgically removed. Luckily, the biopsy came back negative.
    I have a mole that has recently changed and gotten a bit crusty. Not good! I'm having my primary care ARNP look at it next Tuesday, and hope to get referred to my dermatologist.
    I moved from Oahu to the State of WA, then to the WA Coast, where it is foggy and has a low overcast during many of the summer days. I have been a surfer for most of my life, since I was 16. I learned to LOVE a full wetsuit with a hood, since then I only had to apply sunscreen to the front of my face. I wore the hood even during the hottest days of summer, and was grateful for the sun protection that it provided. After the mid-1980's, I never wanted to return to any tropical zones, ever. Not even for a day. Not even for an old friend's funeral.
    These days, I wear wide-brimmed hats, long sleeves, and own a lot of SPF 50 clothing. I use Neutrogena SPF 70 Beach Defense sunscreen. Some of the local rednecked a-holes, whose presence I must endure, like to make fun of me when they catch me "applying my makeup!" I might just get the last laugh, though. I sure hope so. Better them than me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have you considered the thought that there might be two distinct demographics at play here?
    There's a bunch of folk who hide indoors during daylight hours, playing video games and/or watching TV, etc. And another bunch of folk who don't hardly watch TV, or even own a TV, or make it a point to never even subject themselves to the insulting horrors of a TV, and who spend a lot of time outdoors, actively doing things. These are two distinct demographics.
    I blew up my TV set back in 2008, and never got another one, and never looked back!

Specialized Fatboy
    I'm really bad about sunscreen (and stretching) before a ride... I always forget about it and it doesn't help I hate that wet slimy feeling that sunscreen creates. ugh. As for checking, stupid question alert but how do you check your back side? lol

speedy recovery OP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK View Post
    I'm really bad about sunscreen (and stretching) before a ride... I always forget about it and it doesn't help I hate that wet slimy feeling that sunscreen creates. ugh. As for checking, stupid question alert but how do you check your back side? lol

speedy recovery OP.
    Yes, a speedy recovery for the OP!
    I don't like applying sunscreen, either.
    As for checking one's backside, there's these things called "mirrors." Just don't let your gossipy neighbor who's lurking outside and maybe being a "Peeping Tom" catch you checking your ass out with a hand mirror. You might become famous, or more likely infamous, and as far away as the next county.
    It might be safer to make an appointment with a dermatologist and pay them to inspect your backside.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Okay guys, you can't have it both ways. Reports show that about 75% of Americans are severely deficient in vitamin D. Americans are deficient in vitamin D because of a lack of exposure to the sun. So if we aren't getting enough sun, and not as much as we used to get, why so many cases of skin cancer? Current research even suggests that vitamin D deficiency is a leading cause of cancer. Is it possible that we might need better diets and more regular sunlight exposure? Wait, we can't make those assumptions, that would negatively affect the pharmaceutical and food industry. We would also have to charge our eating habits if we went there and we wouldn't want to insult the 75% of Americans who are classified as obese by possibly suggesting that their diets and lack of outdoor exercise is detrimental to their health.
    No, just tell people that the sun that has been on the earth forever is harmful to them even though people throughout history spent their entire lives in the sun without skin cancer.
    Funny thing about science, two seemingly conflicting facts can both be correct. Like tire pressure, rolling resistance and bike speed. Logic tells us that higher PSIs result in less tire deflection and faster speeds, yet those conclusions are not factual. In the case of sun v. D, I suspect that the sun damage is from youth and the deficiency is from adulthood. Don't know and won't worry about it, just wear sunscreen now like it's part of the kit. The D Dilemma - SkinCancer.org