mtbr member
    Jan 2010

HUB'ba Bubba--- 170/135 hubs... rank em!

Pros & Cons of each? Rank them for me please...

Salsa
    Hope Fatsno
    Fatback Imported

For a Fatback 170 Rocker frame as a singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hope=Inspiring. PRO

Compulsive Bike Builder
    616 fab's are nice, too, that is what I am using. Very happy with them. They are nice if you like centerlock rotors. Made in the USA, too.

Nearly every choice I make on my bike is for survivability in a nasty, corrosive saltwater bath. It gives me a great excuse to use Ti, carbon and alloy components. Centerlock rotors are a better choice than 6 bolt for that, and I have more choices for rotors with a center alloy carrier and a stainless braking surface
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Salsa (Formula) ones have poor freehub mechanism. Over 1 year old (and only ridden for 3 months in snow) and mine sh!t the bed, couldn't get parts and had to buy a new rear hub. Second hub is already acting up.

Next set will be Hopes as I use those on my regular FS MTB, but I've had freehub issues with those too.

Wishing Chris King would release some fat hubs...

mtbr member
    +1 on the 616 hubs. I run them on Marge Lites. Probably the lightest true fat rim/hub combo you can have. I love Centerlock rotors.
    I also have Salsa Muk 2 hubs on Darryls and never had a problem with them. If you are counting grams, Salsa are not the best hub (see: 616 or Hope) but for the money, I like them. Stay away from their Mukluk 3 version as the bearings are not serviceable... stick with the Mukluk 2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobber View Post

Salsa
    Hope Fatsno
    Fatback Imported

FWIW, My friend and I have not had much luck with the Salsa 2 hubs (made by formula). Note that we are both clydes north of 230lbs and riding in rocky/rooty singletrack in NEPA (northeast pennsylvania). 3 freehub bodies for me (as in I am on my fourth) along with a whole new hub for the rear wheel. Excellent customer service from my local LBS and Salsa in terms of sending one "free" freehub body and later a new rear hub. My friend also destroyed at least one freehub body and the odd part is he seldom rides.
    My friend and I both wish we had gone with Surly Pugsley/Moonlander or at least with the 135mm offset option for 9zero7 since then we could have had a Chris King or other quality hub. Also, I do not know all the details but I have heard that other local fatbike riders have also had problems with the 170mm formula hubs. At this point, I am extremely hesitant to go with the new 190mm hubs but if I was going Fatback, then I would pony up for the Hadleys in either 170 or 190. Personally, after a few snowy woods walkouts I am drinking the Surly offset/spare rear wheel/interchangeability Kool Aid!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    ...My friend and I both wish we had gone with Surly Pugsley/Moonlander or at least with the 135mm offset option for 9zero7 since then we could have had a Chris King or other quality hub... Personally, after a few snowy woods walkouts I am drinking the Surly offset/spare rear wheel/interchangeability Kool Aid!!!
    It's hard to convince the newcomers to fatbikes about that though.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    It's hard to convince the newcomers to fatbikes about that though.
    Yes, I have noticed that. A fella I ride with on occasion is a Spesh fan and he is looking forward to demoing a FatBoy this winter. I tried to tell him to focus on the hubs (who makes them, what type of design, replacement costs,etc. etc.) but to no avail. The marketing depts and general public do a great job of pushing the "symmetrical frames" but ironically the 135mm offset is the key. Especially for the winter conditions, it just makes sense to make the bike as reliable (and simple) as possible. IMHO, the "new" fat bikes are being marketed as mtbs with fat tires. Same deal with suspension, personally I went fat to get away from that - hey that rhymes Anyhow, I guess I am becoming a slightly slimmer fatbiking retro grouch!

Goat of Legend
    Hopes are my Favorite hubs for longevity and quality. I have a set of Pro 2's on my 29er that are 5 - 7 years old that still going strong. I just take them apart once a year to clean and regrease.

On my Fatty I have the Hope Fatsno's. Same great Hope quality and survived a winter of snow biking here in Colorado in elevations from 6000+ to near 12,000 ft.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobber View Post

Salsa
    Hope Fatsno
    Fatback Imported

I think it depends on what kind of riding you're going to do. For basic trail/snow rides of no more than a couple hours, you don't NEED a hub like a Hadley or a Paul. Personally, I plan to use my fatty year round in all weather conditions whenever the urge hits me. I won't be riding epic multiple day wilderness rides so I went for the Fatsno. I've had good luck with Hope hubs in the past but I have no illusions that it's as nice of a hub as my DT 240s on my 29er. I sure wish DT would put out 170 and 190 options. The Star Ratchet design is awesome in every regard. All they would need is a wider hub body with the existing guts. A DT 350 in 170mm width would make my pants tight...

To answer the OP's question, I'd go for the Hope of those three.

mtbr member
    I have a Paul rear hub. It's a bit heavy but has a i9 freehub and good looks. Solid performer.