mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Hub Size Question; thinking about lighter wheels - 2016 Fuji Wendigo 1.1

Hi All,
    Just so you know I did do a formal introduction of myself in the official introductions thread.

So I bought this Fuji last fall and have to say it has been my one salvation over this cold, snowy North Dakota winter. I'll try not to ramble too much before asking my question, but will leave it at, I am a total Fat Bike believer now. I look at my 29er now and wonder why the hell I spent so much money on that thing!

Ok, so on to my question...There are some pretty nice flowy and smooth trails where I live and so I'm thinking about a lighter wheelset for 3season trail riding on the Fatty, and will just keep the heavy wheels the bike came with for sloppy winter riding. The only specs I've been able to find on the wheels are from the Fuji website for the bike and they describe the hubs as: Formula SL-1240 front, Formula DHL-197 rear

The ones on my bike are branded Salsa hubs, but I believe I have read somewhere that these Salsas are really just re-branded Formulas and in any case I'm pretty positive they have the same width/spec.

I'm still learning all the new hub standards and I imagine I will need the exact same hub widths for a new set of wheels so they fit my frame, correct? Just going by the model name (DHL-197) I'm assuming the rear will be a 197.

However, I have no confirmation of the front hub spec, though I suspect it is a 150. Anyone know? Or can someone at least clue me in on how I would measure width of front hub i.e. end-to-end or flange-to-flange etc.

I'm also wondering if I should go with a thru-axle type hub on new wheel as I haven't ruled out adding suspension fork in future, but then that might leave my original front wheel useless as it is QR? I'm pretty sure rear is thru-axle already so that shouldn't be a concern. Thoughts? I've already done a lot of research on tires, rim widths, carbon rims etc, and have learned a lot already from the inmates on this forum. I'm not trying to do some kind of weight weenie build on this alloy-framed bike, but just would like to reduce rotating weight and make the bike a little more lively away from the snow.
    Thanks in advance for any guidance anybody can offer!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just measure between the insides surfaces of the fork dropouts for the front hub width.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Just measure between the inside fork dropouts for the front hub width.
    sryanak, you're my hero! Thanks very much for the answer, greatly appreciated.

turtles make me hot
    The rear hub on that bike is 197 with a thru axle. I bet the front is 135 since it has a quick release skewer. Being that it's a Salsa hub, you can purchase end caps for it that will convert it to 150mm so it will work in a 150mm fork like a Bluto.
    The unfortunate part of that is since you want to build new wheels and have them work in your existing fork and a suspension fork, you may want to buy another Salsa front hub and end caps for both forks.
    For the rear, check out Bike Hub Store's 197mm rear hub. Great hub and pretty darn light.
    Maybe also consider Surly My Other Brother Darryl rims or Sun Ringle' Mulefuts.
    Both are 80mm and light and strong and excellent tubeless.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    NYrr496, mucho thanks, that's exactly the kind of info. and knowledge I'm looking for. I was thinking about the DT Swiss BR2250 wheelset (I believe that's the model), but also have recently been gaining knowledge about the rims you mentioned and will consider them also. How do you think they compare to the DT Swiss I mentioned, including how they compare to the Surly or Sun for going tubeless? Again, the knowledge sharing is greatly appreciated.

PS I like that picture of the turtles humping on your profile. Damn, I wonder how they do that?

turtles make me hot
    I have no experience with the DT Swiss rim. I've seen cross section pictures of it and it looks fine.
    I've set up Mulefuts and I recently built a set of Other Brother Darryls for myself. They're nothing short of spectacular. Light, strong, stiff... Easy tubeless. I used Whisky Parts tape over a rim strip and the tires snapped onto the bead and have held air perfectly.
    One of my friends was going to have me build him DT wheels but I like my Darryls so much and they are only 20 grams heavier so he followed my lead.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Oh yeah... The turtles. Every so often someone asks about them...

A few years back, I was not very computer savvy. My friend and partner at work was way more talented on computers than I was. One day, I left myself logged on to MTBR and he put that all on there. It was the time that I like turtles kid was all over youtube and I thought it was hilarious. I couldn't figure out how to get it off so I left it.
    Now, I could totally change it, I mean, I know how to post pictures now but I've come to like my humping turtles.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    NYrr, thanks once again. Your take on the Other Brother Darryls is pretty convincing so I will give them equal consideration to the DTs. Also appreciate your backstory on the turtles, that's pretty funny sh*t. Hump on little hardshell humpers.