Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    turtles make me hot
    JH, could you do us all a favor and build a wheel with a Bike Hub Store hub?
    Who knows... It may last as well as the pricey hubs.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Regarding the salt....I'm not too worried about it but do plan on making wheels covers in the near future.
    The crap they put on the roads these days eats aluminum about as well as it eats steel. The factory aluminum rims on my Element looked like hell after only 3-4 winters.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    All due respect to your sovereign decision making processes?

If you desire to solve the problem, get it out of the salt for starters. Not being too worried, and some wheel covers, won't solve the problem, just move it elsewhere, you'd rather rot your cranks, stem and every single bolt on the thing, instead?

Salt (and the spent fracking fluid they now spread on the roads too, lovely), love nothing more than eating soft metals.

Salt kills metal and should be respected as the enemy it is....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Mendon....it will be ok. I have no other method to transport my bike. Not going on the roof of my gx470, not going in my vehicle as I have car seats in the second row.

Nrr...you build me some bhs wheels and I will ride them!!

Clydesdale Gear

The Hub Destroyer Returns In Glorious Victory

When Jon pedals east, the day lengthens. When he pedals west, the day shortens.

I'm glad you're not as hard on forks since I bought one from you a while back.
    Clydesdale Gear
    www.razorhoof.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    ...Salt (and the spent fracking fluid they now spread on the roads too, lovely), love nothing more than eating soft metals.

Salt kills metal and should be respected as the enemy it is....
    When I had a yacht I got very familiar with the term "crevice corrosion" in which the salt would quietly corrode away the iron component of stainless steel while leaving it looking perfectly ok - until it broke. I ended up using galvanised fittings for reliability.

Sounds like something similar may be going on here.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

turtles make me hot
    Damn. I wish I had some parts in stock. I want to see how long a BHS hub would last.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Jon; concerning your thoughts about the dangers of salt; when salt is wet, it is in a dissolved state, when dry, a solid state. It is when in the latter that it is the most abrasive.

That being said, not saying that that is at the root of the hub failure.

May I suggest that you market yourself; by creating a destructive test standard. Any hub that would meet or exceed the "Tested by Jon" seal of approval would have to be the height of envy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    ...Any hub that would meet or exceed the "Tested by Jon" seal of approval would have to be the height of envy.
    And I suspect would be a useful weight weenie repellent...

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    If he's broken all the big name fat bike hubs......

.....except Hadley/Fatback and the above mentioned DT and the above mentioned AC. So, not quite all.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    I'm glad I am not as strong JH. I'd get sick of building wheels.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    When in doubt, look at environmental factors.

Never in a million years would I carry my bike on a rear rack in the winter, the salt plume created as you drive is insane.

I carried this torch in another thread, some sided with me, others did not. One guy had to eat his words when he, doing the same as you, had a catastrophic hub failure as the thread was going on.....

I don't want to come off as pedantic, just saying, if you want a solution, time to look at all the behaviors and factors. If I get salt on my bike, a nice, long, gentle, hot water bath is always the first priority as soon as I get back home. I don't see failures, or corrosion nor do others who follow the same regimen.
    Sure, salt is bad, but John breaks well before salt would have had any effect.

I used to have a reputation for breaking ski bindings, folks blamed my technique, they called me a liar, there was all kinds of ugliness.

If I built hubs for a living, I would pay John to test them.

So what hub is next on the list? Might as well try DT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any there hubs with the flanges tilted inwards in an effort to minimize the spoke bend leaving the hole? When triangulated in a build this would keep the forces in the plane of the flange rather than a component normal to the flange.

Nexties are pretty much center drilled 2.5mm offset, VS a Clownshoe with 40mm between the holes. All things being equal in a build except the rims, I'd think that a narrower drilled rim would cause more stress in the hub flanges.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Any there hubs with the flanges tilted inwards in an effort to minimize the spoke bend leaving the hole? When triangulated in a build this would keep the forces in the plane of the flange rather than a component normal to the flange.

Nexties are pretty much center drilled 2.5mm offset, VS a Clownshoe with 40mm between the holes. All things being equal in a build except the rims, I'd think that a narrower drilled rim would cause more stress in the hub flanges.
    I agree. The nexties look cooler, but I like the offset spoke beds of the LB 90 rims. Seems much better for bends.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've broken three hub flanges, all were on mountain unicycles, two hubs were Ti and one was aluminum.

The Ti hubs had cutouts that made them prone to cracking, the aluminum hub just get old and fatigued.

I also spun loose quite a few press fit spindles until they started welding the flanges to the spindles.

When it comes to hub bodies, steel is real.

Strangely I never broke spokes or cranks.

mtbr member
    I have destroyed the best of the best....so what is next? Who will be my next victim?

preston
    Project321

Welcome to PROJECT 321 - Manufacturer of High-Quality Aftermarket Accessories for Your Bicycle, Automobile, Motocross Bike and Quad

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Hoof View Post
    I'm glad you're not as hard on forks since I bought one from you a while back.
    Which fork was that...the Manitou? I am on an Avalanche open bath pike now, so life is good!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Damn. I wish I had some parts in stock. I want to see how long a BHS hub would last.
    How about we arrange something for next winter? Even though we just got a foot of snow, highs are in the 60's and snow will give way to dead grass and mud soon. Riding in the summer isn't nearly as hard on my rear hubs as winter riding is.

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    .....except Hadley/Fatback and the above mentioned DT and the above mentioned AC. So, not quite all.
    True. I was really tempted by the DT swiss, but a good friend of mine was also curious whether or not the onyx could stand up to my abuse before he bought a pair. After a year of use we felt pretty confident. He bought a pair of customized onyx hubs after snapping the axle on his 907 rear hub, two weeks later I break my onyx. haha

Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    I'm glad I am not as strong JH. I'd get sick of building wheels.
    That makes two of us! wait

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Sure, salt is bad, but John breaks well before salt would have had any effect.

If I built hubs for a living, I would pay John to test them.

So what hub is next on the list? Might as well try DT.
    I had honestly just driven to work and back in a snow storm prior to taking the picture...that is why the salt looks so nasty. That is not an every day thing fellas!

For what hub is next.....I gotta stay with Onyx for now. I can't just dump a $500 hub after one year of use. If I have more issues, I will ask them for custom machining which they at willing and capable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I think that's a great idea. Might as well have the flanges be parallel with the spokes right?

This place needs an enema
    Onyx is a great company, run by smart people, with hubs being ridden hard by a diverse crowd, worldwide.

If this was a problem they saw consistently they'd already have addressed it. Clearly they haven't seen it before.

Alternate materials are one possible solution. My guess is that instead of screaming Henny Penny, losing their shit, and going back to the drawing board over one hub that died at the hands of a known lightning rod, they'll simply rejigger the program to omit the tiny weight-saving holes from the flanges, and that'll solve it.

Worst case, maybe they'll offer a forged-then-machined shell option.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

turtles make me hot
    I'm in.
    I like turtles

Clydesdale Gear
    Which fork was that...the Manitou? I am on an Avalanche open bath pike now, so life is good!!
    It was the Manitou. I've since converted to a Pike also, but I'm still running the charger damper.
    Clydesdale Gear
    www.razorhoof.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Onyx is a great company, run by smart people, with hubs being ridden hard by a diverse crowd, worldwide.

If this was a problem they saw consistently they'd already have addressed it. Clearly they haven't seen it before.

Alternate materials are one possible solution. My guess is that instead of screaming Henny Penny, losing their shit, and going back to the drawing board over one hub that died at the hands of a known lightning rod, they'll simply rejigger the program to omit the tiny weight-saving holes from the flanges, and that'll solve it.

Worst case, maybe they'll offer a forged-then-machined shell option.
    Well said Mike. If it breaks again then I expect some wizardry will take place w/ regards to hub design.

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'm in.
    BHS winter games 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Hoof View Post
    It was the Manitou. I've since converted to a Pike also, but I'm still running the charger damper.
    If you are a big dude Craig at Avalanche will rock your world with the open bath cartridge.

Elitest thrill junkie

If you are a big dude Craig at Avalanche will rock your world with the open bath cartridge.
    And if you are a smaller dude like me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And if you are a smaller dude like me.
    He will rock you pretty hard too. Its just that the pike has a hard time playing nice w/ higher weight riders. I don't think I have seen a single complaint from craigs work, regardless of size, fork or shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just wanted to update the thread to say how awesome Onyx was handling the issue. No fuss, no blame placed, lightning fast communication and zero out of pocket cost for me. They even etched custom graphics on my hub.

It was less then 5 business days from when I dropped it off at UPS to when it was back at my door.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

I have broke two XT cassettes too, the carriers just break at the rivet.
    I just did this a few weeks ago on my XT cassette. Sheared the rivets on gear 4 and 5. I turned into a single speeder for a few days...Gear 3 was too low to keep up with the group, leaving gear 6 as my only option. Lots of standing and mashing...

mtbr member
    ...They even etched custom graphics on my hub....
    At a guess -

"Don't buy this hub 2nd hand from jonshonda"

in nice italic script.

bigger than you.
    It this point, it may be time to say that it's not the hub, it's you, Jon...
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    At a guess -

"Don't buy this hub 2nd hand from jonshonda"

in nice italic script.
    I just doubled over laughing.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I want action footage

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    It this point, it may be time to say that it's not the hub, it's you, Jon...
    we knew this, it's jon that requires the mind bend.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Haha. Not for resale.

What do you mean it's me?

Harmonius Wrench
    Just wanted to update the thread to say how awesome Onyx was handling the issue. No fuss, no blame placed, lightning fast communication and zero out of pocket cost for me. They even etched custom graphics on my hub.

It was less then 5 business days from when I dropped it off at UPS to when it was back at my door.
    Thank you for that update. It is good to read about a company that stood behind their product and acted promptly to resolve the issue for you. I wasn't so fortunate several years ago with a hub failure on my first fat bike, so I am happy to see it work out for you.

I will be considering this company's product a bit more seriously due to this result.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I should also add I sent them my entire rear wheel which they relaced with new Spokes and nips

mtbr member
    I made the switch from I9 to Onyx and couldn't be happier. Nothing better then riding in the woods and actually hearing the surrounds and not the buzzzzzz! On top of that they roll like butter and are super durable. I won't built with anything else from now on. I'm selling a 150/177mm 27+ wheel set now to fund a FS plus build. Hit me up if you know anyone looking, thanks!

27 Nextie/Onyx 150/177mm - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Human Test Subject
    Have you ever had your pedal stroke looked at by a professional? Is that even a thing?

I've been worried about mine for a while. I commute a lot and lean right/push off left from stoplights. This (and technically being a Clyde) causes me to destroy left pedals. I even broke an Ultegra spindle on the NDS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Thank you for that update. It is good to read about a company that stood behind their product and acted promptly to resolve the issue for you. I wasn't so fortunate several years ago with a hub failure on my first fat bike, so I am happy to see it work out for you.

I will be considering this company's product a bit more seriously due to this result.
    They make good hubs and as a prosummer I find the company to be super responsive. I'm on my fourth set, still have three sets, sold one set (should have kept it). No issues, love the feel, don't miss the noise, can't say that notice the weight.

I have DT also, which are good hubs too, but Onyx is in it's own class.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12