Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Vagician

How To: Tubeless Wheel Windows

Disclaimer:
    There are easier ways of doing a tubeless fat setup. You have been warned. The purpose of this is to be able to see inside the tire so one can check the condition of the sealant…… Also, it’s pretty cool.

Step 1
    Tools and Materials:
    -Xacto Knife/Razor Blade
    -Tape Measure
    -Tubeless Valve
    -Tubeless Tire Sealant
    -Tape 1: Duck HD Clear
    -Tape 2: Gorilla
    -Tape 3: Scotch ¾” (standard scotch tape)
    -Foam: Super Firm Closed-Cell Sponge-Rubber 3/8” x ¼” x 10ft (for windows. Good for 1 rim)

Step 2
    Making the Rim Strip
    The rim strip is 2 pieces of 2” clear tape with the sticky sides together. One is cut exactly 70” long and the other is cut exactly 65” long. The short piece is centered on the long piece which leaves 2 ½” of sticky tape on each end. It's easier if you have an assistant here. Ashley is holding the tape for me while I press it together.

Step 3
    Installing the Rim Strip
    Place the 2 ½” sticky part of the rim strip centered over the valve hole of the rim and push out all the bubbles. Tightly pull the rim strip around the rim and attach it to the rim with the other 2 ½” sticky part. It should also be centered on the valve stem hole. Check to ensure that the entire strip is centered on the rim.

Step 4
    Sealing the Rim
    Next is the Gorilla tape. For the Marge lite rims you are going to want 11/16” strips of this stuff. Just measure that distance from the side of the roll and tear it along the roll like so. Do not remove it from the roll. You will use the roll as a handle for pulling. Install the tape around the rim with the edge of the tape going up tight against the rim edge. You are going to want to pull this tape incredibly hard when you are installing it. You want it to stretch and be nice and smooth all the way with no bubbles or wrinkles. Repeat for other rim bead.

Step 5
    Compressing the Tape and Setting a Bead
    Cut open the valve hole and install a tire and tube. This is done for 2 reasons. One is to use the tube to compress the tape to make a good seal between the gorilla tape and the rim and the gorilla tape and the rim strip. The other reason is to seat one of the beads. It’s much easier to seal this up when you only have to deal with one side of the tire. I usually let the tire sit for a few hours at 30 psi to ensure everything is sealed up nicely.

Step 6
    Foam Prep
    I do this while I’m waiting for the tape to seal up. The foam needs to be cut at an angle to aid in sealing up the tire. Cut the foam at this angle the entire length. You will need enough to go around the entire rim, so about 6 ft.

Step 7
    Foam Install
    Let the air out of the tire, remove the tire from one side of the rim, and remove the tube. I emphasize one side of the rim. Leave the other side seated. Install the tubeless valve stem. Install the strip of triangle shaped foam around the rim like so.

Step 8
    Scotch Tape
    The scotch tape is used to make a smooth transition for the tire bead. Install it over the foam and up nice and tight against the rim side just like the Gorilla tape. You should pull this tape somewhat tight but not so tight as to compress the foam. It should look like this. It’s hard to see the tape in this picture….. Because it’s clear.

Step 9
    Air!!!
    Pull the tire bead up over the foam and onto the bead lock about halfway around the rim. Then, while ensuring that stays on the bead lock, start pulling the tire bead just up onto the foam. The reason for the foam is that you can’t pull the tire bead entirely onto the bead lock by hand so you need an intermediary location to hold it tightly enough so it will hold air until the air pushes it onto the bead. This is the half of the tire bead that is just on the foam.

Next, put that pump to work. If you did everything right up until now, it will take air right away so crank it up to 25-30 psi. If it’s not taking air, listen for where it is coming out. Once you get it up to pressure check to ensure that the bead is seated evenly by looking at the tire sight line. It’s the little line on the rubber right next to the rim. You should be able to see it evenly all the way around the tire. If you can’t, the foam is probably caught in the bead. This is the sight line right next to the rim edge.

Step 10
    Sealant
    If all is well, let all the air out and pop the foam side bead off again and install sealant. Or remove your valve core and install sealant. Either way, it’s time to pump er up to high pressure and do the sealant dance! Shake it, turn it, shake it… till nothing comes out.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    w00t! thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Awesome! You rock. Thanks.

Fat & Single
    Good work !
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

PRETENDURO
    Dude. Awesome fat tubeless instructions. Seemingly dumbed down for us “not as techy as the others” folks. Now I think I will try this again on my wife’s fatbike.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    If i didn't weigh around 270#, i would start drilling my rims by now !
    Good step by step instructions with pictures, what more could we ask ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Very nice write up, thanks for sharing all your secrets..

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I do have a question, where do you buy the Duck HD tape..??

Is this just so thick packing tape or something more sophisticated like Mylar tape

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I do have a question, where do you buy the Duck HD tape..??

Is this just so thick packing tape or something more sophisticated like Mylar tape
    I used this tape because it is super clear and yet quite tough. It is sold at menards along with most everything else for this setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    I used this tape because it is super clear and yet quite tough. It is sold at menards along with most everything else for this setup.
    Cool thanks for the leads, I need to pay a visit to that store anyway to get the latex mold builder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What do you think of this Mylar tape is super duper strong, for sure stronger than packing tape and use to repair sails on boats so I'm sure is very sticky and also waterproof.

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    What do you think of this Mylar tape is super duper strong, for sure stronger than packing tape and use to repair sails on boats so I'm sure is very sticky and also waterproof.
    I dont know anything about that mylar. The stuff that I recommend is very strong, very clear, and very available locally. The materials that I chose are easy to acquire and cheap.

2 pieces of the HD Clear stuck together the way I do it is probably much stronger than you may think.

Vagician
    On a side note, if a person is concerned with the strength of the rim strip just add more layers. The roll is wrapped many hundreds of times from the factory and is as clear as a single piece of glass. Plus it weighs almost nothing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    I dont know anything about that mylar. The stuff that I recommend is very strong, very clear, and very available locally. The materials that I chose are easy to acquire and cheap.
    Mylar is crazy strong stuff use on many things like the leading edge of hanglider wings (that was my first encounter with) but maybe you are right and is much to fancy for this application..

2 pieces of the HD Clear stuck together the way I do it is probably much stronger than you may think.
    I think I'm going to give your method a try since your tape is transparent when my material is only translucent (even if is really resilient) for added effect..

Do you have any photos looking thru the cut-outs to see the sealant?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    That's the only good pic I could get. I tried taking one of the sealant on the bottom of the tire looking thru the window but my camera couldn't focus on it. It kept focusing on the window itself.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Try taking the photo outside with good lighting.

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    Try taking the photo outside with good lighting.
    I had really good lighting and used it in a multitude of ways. I have one more trick that ill maybe try tonight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That is a cool idea. Ever think of adding food coloring to the sealant since its visible now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nlongfx View Post
    That is a cool idea. Ever think of adding food coloring to the sealant since its visible now?
    Thats what I was thinking

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by nlongfx View Post
    Adding food coloring could definitely be a nice touch.

R.I.P. Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Open up a few glow sticks! You have to store wheels in the freezer and snap em before use

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast