Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Laramie, Wyoming
    RWGreen, I'm new to the fat tubeless thing, but I think that it is important to be able to reseat the tire while on the trail with a hand pump or CO2 cartridges. Something to think about. With the foam step, seating the tire is fairly easy even with a hand pump.

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    RWGreen, I'm new to the fat tubeless thing, but I think that it is important to be able to reseat the tire while on the trail with a hand pump or CO2 cartridges. Something to think about. With the foam step, seating the tire is fairly easy even with a hand pump.
    Typically if you had a problem with tubeless on the trail then you just throw in a tube till you get home.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Depending on the problem, I wouldn't see why you wouldn't just reseat the tire and pump it up again. A two inch gash in the sidewall would be a insert a tube situation. A burp would be a reseat and pump situation for me.

Vagician
    A burp would be a reseat and pump situation for me.
    Why would you reseat the bead? I've burped air and sealant out the bead before and there certainly no need to reseat the bead.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    Typically if you had a problem with tubeless on the trail then you just throw in a tube till you get home.
    EP, you must pride yourself in being difficult. My point was that not every problem would dictate throwing a tube in.

Vagician
    EP, you must pride yourself in being difficult. My point was that not every problem would dictate throwing a tube in.
    I'm sorry that you think I'm being difficult for simply asking why you would reseat the bead which didn't make sense to me.

Also, I agree that every problem does not dictate using a tube.... Which is why I used the word "typically." Not "always."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This thread hasn't been posted on in a week which seems baffling. How are the tubeless setups holding up?

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtbyader View Post
    This thread hasn't been posted on in a week which seems baffling. How are the tubeless setups holding up?
    Mine held up great, but now that the snow has flown I'm on my winter setup till spring.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Mine are still working although I am going to redo mine today. I've ordered some 3" clear tape which I think I'm going to like better than the 2" because it will make me feel comfortable opening up more window and I'm going to go back to my extra firm foam that I used on my front wheel. I do like being able to see that the slime is moving around in the wheel as I ride. It's very cool.

EPCycles did his on Marge Lite rims I believe and the 2" clear tape worked on those rims with the smaller windows. I did mine on Clownshoe rims which have a wider window. I would like to find some 4" clear tape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I also have clownshoes, contemplating going tubeless but probably not with clear tape. EPcycles, what is your winter setup? What is the verdict on the foam, is it only needed on one side to help seat the bead or is it best to use on both sides as sort of a beadlock or safety precaution so as not to knock the tire off the bead?

Laramie, Wyoming
    If going tubeless, why not clear? Just stretch as many layers of tape as you would like. It's pretty tough a you add layers.
    I think the foam on both sides is a must. Otherwise you always have to remember which side has the tape as well a if you have an issue on the trail it will be easier with foam on both sides. I also thinks it helps to use extra firm foam like found at true value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I suppose the clear would be pretty cool. What tires are you running? Any durability issues?

Laramie, Wyoming
    What durability issues?
    I'm using bud and Lou. I'm going to get another set of wheels so I can set up some Larry's on one set and the bud/Lou on the other.

Vagician
    I also have clownshoes, contemplating going tubeless but probably not with clear tape. EPcycles, what is your winter setup? What is the verdict on the foam, is it only needed on one side to help seat the bead or is it best to use on both sides as sort of a beadlock or safety precaution so as not to knock the tire off the bead?
    My winter setup is a set of double wall 80s and BFLs that I got from Mike C.

If you are going tubeless and don't care if its clear then do the split tube setup. Easy, fast, cheap, and reliable.

If you want clear, then foam is an "option." It only aids in seating the bead. It does not help keep it on once its seated. If you want to go thru the trouble of putting it on both sides then go for it. It's not required.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I've done it with no foam, foam on just one side, and foam on both sides. It is nice to have foam, and it is nice to have it on both sides. I think it does help the tire stay seated and sealed, with and without air.

Vagician
    I've done it with no foam, foam on just one side, and foam on both sides. It is nice to have foam, and it is nice to have it on both sides. I think it does help the tire stay seated and sealed, with and without air.
    The foam does nothing to hold the tire bead on the rim. The difference that you may be noticing is the fact that you add extra layers of thick tape to the rim bead which makes the tire fit tighter. Coincidentally this also causes excessive stress on the tire bead. Ever have one of those break? I have, and I suggest that you be a little careful.

I'm new to the fat tubeless thing
    This is your first fat tubeless setup, correct? Mounting and dismounting a few times with a few rides doesn't in my opinion give one ground for dishing out advise. I do, on the other hand, appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to try something new.

I think that it is important to be able to reseat the tire while on the trail with a hand pump or CO2 cartridges

Also be sure to let me know when this happens.

I think the foam on both sides is a must. Otherwise you always have to remember which side has the tape
    Um, all I have to say is clear rim strip. Look thru it to see where the foam is.

Laramie, Wyoming
    EP, you provide an interesting read for sure. I'm trying to decide how much to engage you but your opinion doesn't gospel make.

I think the foam, if done right, does help keep the tire seated well and keeps the setup from "burping". Also, I just set mine up without seating the tire first with a tube and had no problems without an air compressor. That was one of my goals. It's not much more time involved to put foam on both sides so why not?

I'm not having to pry the tire into place so I also disagree with it adding too much pressure to the bead of the tire.

Yes, it is my first fatbike tubeless setup. What's your point? I was probably riding bikes before you were born. And about my few rides, I ride more in a week than many avid bikers do in a month. I rode over 70 miles yesterday, and you? I'd ask about today, but I'm not done riding yet. I'll be back out after I change my clear tubeless setup on my front wheel to wider clear tape.

If you'd like, we can compare setups and abilities at the Tuscobia Winter Ultra in a little over a month.
    Last edited by alphazz; 11-27-2012 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got a pissing match going here, Fight nice, haha. I rode thousands of miles on my 907 last year and got a kick out of it when someone argued with me about big fat larrys rubbing on them even when i had rolling darryls with bfls. Also, didnt mean to jack your thread EP the clear rim tape is sweet just trying to feel out the best not necessarily the best looking option to go tubeless so wouldnt gorilla tape over the surly rim strip work well too and with or without the weather stripping?

Vagician
    your opinion doesn't gospel make.
    Good point. Your lack of fat tire experience.....

I think the foam, if done right, does help keep the tire seated well and keeps the setup from "burping".
    Have you actually had problems with your fat tubeless "burping?"

I'm not having to pry the tire into place so I also disagree with it adding too much pressure to the bead of the tire.
    Pumping up the tire pushes the tire onto the actual bead. If you put more tape on the bead would it increase the pressure on the tire bead? And how much exactly does it increase?

Yes, it is my first fatbike tubeless setup. What's your point?
    Simply that you don't have the fat tubeless experience to give sound and scientific fat tubeless advise. You have contributed mostly speculation.

I was probably riding bikes before you were born. And about my few rides, I ride more in a week than many avid bikers do in a month. I rode over 70 miles yesterday, and you?
    So logging lots of miles makes you an expert at fat tire tubeless? Good to know.

On a side note, that's super! I wish I had time to put in those kind of miles with the fat bike on a week day.

If you'd like, we can compare setups and abilities at the Tuscobia Winter Ultra in a little over a month.
    If you really feel the need to measure you "manhood" then be my guest. Your maturity is obviously not proportionate to your age if in fact you are as old as you imply.

Vagician
    wouldnt gorilla tape over the surly rim strip work well too and with or without the weather stripping?
    Absolutely.

mtbr member
    This thread was informative

Laramie, Wyoming
    Logging lots of miles tests the tubeless setup more than taking pictures of it in your house. I've seen "burping". Does it have to happen to me? I don't have much tape actually on the bead but I do have more tape covering the cutouts which I and others on here see as a weak point with only two layers of packing tape.

What is experience if it isn't time? Yes, logging lots of miles with my tubeless setup does indeed equal experience and expertise because clearly it works outside of the living room.

I haven't heard about the vast knowledge you have and why your opinion on here is more valid than the opinions of anyone else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    well, regardless of anything, thanks for posting photos and how-tos. i'll take away what i want, but its good to see what works. and other than the fun-fur wookie-lander, this is my favourite rim-hole-job. the stripper cards are a solid third.

Vagician
    Well Alphazz, I spent over a year designing, protyping, and yes testing my clear setup. It didn't spend its entire life in my house like you said. I also was nice enough to make a nice little How To for those who were interested. I spent countless hours on this, so thank you and you are welcome. I'll think twice before sharing next time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    Well Alphazz, I spent over a year designing, protyping, and yes testing my clear setup. It didn't spend its entire life in my house like you said. I also was nice enough to make a nice little How To for those who were interested. I spent countless hours on this, so thank you and you are welcome. I'll think twice before sharing next time.
    I hope I speak for the majority here EP; THANKS FOR POSTING

My $.02
    Good, Bad or otherwise it is an interesting discussion, and brings up good points to think about as some of us attempt successfully or not to go tubeless. I'm sure your how-to has spurred many others to try this with varying levels of success.

Just remember that a couple of bicycle mechanics had similar types of discussions with like minded individuals that led to the first successful flight. Without the sharing of thoughts and ideas they may have never succeeded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Where am I? Again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast