mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Front wheel ready for a tire.

Eating Hot Pockets
    Glitter. Where's the glitter?

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Front wheel ready for a tire.
    As stated before, it's imperative to ensure that there are no wrinkles in the tape that you use between the bead and the rim strip(I used Gorrilla tape for the exclusive purpose of being able to pull it extremely tight to eliminate wrinkles entirely). I promise you that the sealant will work it's way through the wrinkle(which I can see in your pic) and eventually make it larger and larger. Liquid tire sealant doesn't play well with exposed tape adhesive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    As stated before, it's imperative to ensure that there are no wrinkles in the tape that you use between the bead and the rim strip(I used Gorrilla tape for the exclusive purpose of being able to pull it extremely tight to eliminate wrinkles entirely). I promise you that the sealant will work it's way through the wrinkle(which I can see in your pic) and eventually make it larger and larger. Liquid tire sealant doesn't play well with exposed tape adhesive.

Thanks for the feedback, I try my hardest to avoid wrinkles but I was not able to flat them all, Maybe I need to buy some real gorilla tape and not use my fancy Military tape that is so rigid and stiff...

I'm going to give it a try like this first, if it does not work I try following your method even closer.

Vagician
    Yes the transparent Vinyl works awesome, I even got lucky with the right thickness and everything.
    Before making a claim of this sort don't you think that it should be perhaps tested and proven?

Also, how are you sealing the ends?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Before making a claim of this sort don't you think that it should be perhaps tested and proven?
    You are right I have not try it with tires, but I least I know is not brittle, is somehow flexible and not as easy to cut as a piece of packing tape...

I will have accurate and solid results when I get my tires on friday.
    Also, how are you sealing the ends?
    E6000 silicone glue plus mechanical help, overlap by about 2 1/2inches

Fat & Single
    Here ya go.... not tubeless yet as i couldn't wait to ride these tyres but i will attempt it in the next week or so.

The plastic is a Table saver for probably parties going on the silver sparkles through it, its 0.4mm thick. Comes in clear too in a load of different thicknesses.

Cheers for the idea

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Laramie, Wyoming
    Does anyone know if there is a temperature at which the tubeless method doesn't work? At what point does Stans freeze?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a temperature at which the tubeless method doesn't work? At what point does Stans freeze?
    Stan's NT site says -30F, MSDS sheet says freezing point is -20F:

http://www.notubes.com/literature/no..._9_17_2010.pdf

Never ran tubeless myself so couldn't say on what temperature it would not be effective to do so.

ouch....
    So.....anyone come up with lighting ideas???? I need to do this to my new front wheel.....
    Riding.....

Laramie, Wyoming
    This thread inspired me, but not enough to do the clear. I made the front of my Moonlander tubeless today. Yep, tubeless Bud on Clownshoes with a stronger schrader motorcycle tubeless valve.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So far I have no luck seating the tires on the rim..

I try straps (casing is to soft), inner tube for a day, foam "step", nothing and Yes I do have a compressor and I took the valve core off..

Laramie, Wyoming
    Patineto, you mentioned the foam step. Did you build up the rim so that the tire bead has more material to catch as you are inflating? I didn't see that you did that in your picture. I was tempted to use the compressor but I wanted to see how easy it would be without one. I hope you left one side in place after compressing with a tube. I then pulled the other bead up into place, although it wasn't totally set.

ouch....
    So far I have no luck seating the t.....

I try straps (casing is to soft), inner tube for a day, foam "step", nothing and Yes I do have a compressor and I took the valve core off..
    Try using a tube to seat both sides of the bead, then break only 1 side carefully and remove tube and install valve. Set rim on bucket so it is suspended
    And face the remaining bead down so gravity helps pull it where it needs to go.strap around tire should work, not too tight, and these tires have enough material that you can carefully grab the sidewalls and pull the bead towards the rim.
    Riding.....

Vagician
    So far I have no luck seating the tires on the rim..

If you do the foam step you should be able to get the bead to seat with a floor pump or even a small hand pump. Forget the compressor and the straps. If you need that then you are not doing it correctly. It's not easy to get the tire on the foam step, and I feel that it may not be on there completely.

Did you get the tire entirely on the foam step before applying air?

When you inflate the tire with a tube and then let all the air out are both the beads seated on the beadlock still? They should be really hard to push off.

Go back to the beginning of the How To. Re reading sometimes helps.

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    So.....anyone come up with lighting ideas???? I need to do this to my new front wheel.....
    I forgot about this. Yeah, just buy a box of these (was really looking for led lights this size) and stuff them thru the big holes in your rim so they sit between the rim strip and the rim. You can lower the pressure to get them in and out and re inflate to hold them in place. Plus you can use as many as you want. 1, 5, 10, 32. Easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How To:  Tubeless Wheel Windows-retail-box-50-packets-sl5-starlite-fishing-glow-sticks.jpg  

Single Speed Junkie
    I forgot about this. Yeah, just buy a box of these (was really looking for led lights this size) and stuff them thru the big holes in your rim so they sit between the rim strip and the rim. You can lower the pressure to get them in and out and re inflate to hold them in place. Plus you can use as many as you want. 1, 5, 10, 32. Easy.
    Those are cool. We use to play with those as kids back in the day. (doh! do I really sound that old?)

Was thinking an LED (link) strip would be an ideal setup. Run the LEDs along the inside of the rim having the wires feed out of one of the empty spoke holes. Then just a mini jack and small Lipo battery to power the strip. I'm waiting on the Rabbit Hole rim otherwise think I'd be trying this already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    By the way the vinyl proof to be really strong, I had two inner tube explosions (because I was using normal size MTB tubes) and nothing happen to the vinyl..

Laramie, Wyoming
    Compilation of tricks:

Pull gorilla tape as tight as you can.
    Make sure the tape goes up onto inside of rim where the tire will seat against the tape.
    Heavy duty 3/8" by 3/4" sticky backed door insulation foam cut on angle to make a shelf.
    I put tape under the foam and taped over the foam as well.
    Seat the tire with a regular fat tube to max pressure at least.
    With the air out of the tube, unseat only one side of the tire and remove the tube and insert valve.
    Use a bucket or stool or something keep wheel off the ground.
    I have the beaded side of the tire down.
    Flatten the tire as you pull the loose side up onto the built up foam shelf working around the wheel.
    I keep a hand on the tire, keeping it on the foam shelf while putting a couple pumps of air into the tire.

Vagician
    Compilation of tricks:

Pull gorilla tape as tight as you can.
    Make sure the tape goes up onto inside of rim where the tire will seat against the tape.
    Heavy duty 3/8" by 3/4" sticky backed door insulation foam cut on angle to make a shelf.
    I put tape under the foam and taped over the foam as well.
    Seat the tire with a regular fat tube to max pressure at least.
    With the air out of the tube, unseat only one side of the tire and remove the tube and insert valve.
    Use a bucket or stool or something keep wheel off the ground.
    I have the beaded side of the tire down.
    Flatten the tire as you pull the loose side up onto the built up foam shelf working around the wheel.
    I keep a hand on the tire, keeping it on the foam shelf while putting a couple pumps of air into the tire.
    If you seat one of the beads with a tube then why do you put foam on both sides? Are people not understanding why I use foam?

Why do you put tape in the middle? Kinda defeats the purpose of the entire process. There are easier ways of doing tubeless if the goal isn't to have a clear rim strip.

Vagician

Foam Step

If you are able to get the tire sealed with a clear rim strip without the foam step then kudos to you my friend!...... I wasn't able to do it consistently, so I developed this technique(designed for clear tubeless). I feel that people may not entirely understand how I utilize it. The step isn't something that the tire bead just simply touches. You are going to want to pull the tire bead up on the rim bead and the foam foam step simultaneously so that half the the tire has the bead in the bead lock and half of the tire has the bead on the step(not simply touching it). This takes a bit of finessing. If you need a bucket, straps, compressor, gravity, or explosives then you are not utilizing the step properly.

Laramie, Wyoming
    EP, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have posted in your thread since I didn't do clear. I basically did the same process a you without clear and it worked first time out. So take it as a compliment that your instructions and pictures were helpful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    hey, really cool idea EP i like how simple/creative and sweet it looks. too bad you are a total ********.

Vagician
    EP, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have posted in your thread since I didn't do clear. I basically did the same process a you without clear and it worked first time out. So take it as a compliment that your instructions and pictures were helpful.
    No worries dude! I'm glad your system worked for you, and you are welcome to post your pics anywhere you'd like. I'm also happy that this helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by keith bonedragger View Post
    hey, really cool idea EP i like how simple/creative and sweet it looks.
    Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by keith bonedragger View Post
    too bad you are a total ********.
    My bad.

bike weenie
    Great thread... my rims are windowless, but this inspired me to go tubeless today. I was able to seat the tire (Husker du on rolling daryls) without the foam ramp or explosives... use gravity method and a compressor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast