Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Vagician
    Oh, crap! I just thought of a great way of doing lighting inside that would be super easy!! Back to the store.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Pleas tell us what it is.....

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Do you have any photos looking thru the cut-outs to see the sealant?
    The sealant doesn't really do anything cool, but here it is. Again, It's easier to see in person than thru a camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How To:  Tubeless Wheel Windows-tubeless-fat-bike-002.jpg  

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    Pleas tell us what it is.....
    I will happily share if it works and I find the right lights.

R.I.P. Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I end up ordering Monokote from amazon (because is easy)

I think the material offer the perfect blend of features, this variation of Mylar is use on model planes, is thermoformable so you just need a heatgun to mold it to shape, it adheres to other surfaces really easy and is also really strong (for how tin it is) so hopefully will not puncture to easy, plus is design to use with corrosive gasoline (nitrometane) so my hope is the chain lubricants will not damage the finish of fade the clear view..

I tell you more in a few days when I get it install..

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Ok now we need hot chicks in fur coats on fat bikes that look like extras from a Fast and Furious movie deciding to bike commute for a day. Better get Adaptrac in on the deal for the "hydraulics" effect.

VSSHHT VSSHHT!

Haha... ah, I shouldn't make fun. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll go back to my own equally strange devices... Carry on.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I shed 1.5lbs on my Mukluk by going tubeless tonight. We'll see how well it holds up. I didn't end up doing the clear window method. The rim strip was adheared quite well to the rim, so I just removed the tube, added tubeless presta valve, 3 scoops of Stans and it's all sealed up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    sail repair tape is just expensivly branded packaging tape...
    same base material, but the glue on the sail repair type is most likely better then of packaging tape, also, tape itself will be thicker

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I got the aluminum valve stems today, very nicely made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I install the Monokote tonight but I'm not super happy with the results, the material is just to thin and I'm afraid it will get puncture to easy (even if is suppose to be really strong)

On the other hand the aluminum valves are great.

The search continues for a really strong transparent material..

mtbr member
    What about that heavy nylon you can buy at Joanne Fabrics the stuff for making tablecloth covers? I'm not going tubeless now but just a thought.

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    The search continues for a really strong transparent material..
    Really? Have you even tried my suggestion? I'm betting no.

Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    What about that heavy nylon you can buy at Joanne Fabrics the stuff for making tablecloth covers? I'm not going tubeless now but just a thought.
    Is it clear?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    Really? Have you even tried my suggestion? I'm betting no.
    Yes I did but I'm kind of picky about this things, first I did not like it was only 48mm wide (they say 2" inches but is not) and then I did not like that is was so "Brittle" and easy to cut..

Today I when to Joann fabrics (I'm pretty sure everybody has one close by) and I purchase 2 yards (70" are require) of Vinyl, the kind that you use to make windows on tents, sadly I don't remember the gauge but it was the $4.95 thickness (one thinner, one thicker).

In fact if anybody want some just send me a PM and I will send you two lengths (60mm by 70" long) I only ask you to pay for the shipping cost (needs to be a box so the material is rolled with out kinks)

I just install one on my rear wheel and it when great it adapts perfect to the curve of the rim and the concave segment of the rim profile..

Thanks EP for all the inspiration, with out you I will not have the vision to make it happen.

mtbr member
    I guess it boils down to "whatever is available to you, suits your preference and works".

I'm looking forward to getting my own Clownshoes so I can set them up like this. With lights.

Just a thought about getting the loose bead to hold air when installing the tire: I've found it helpful to put the wheel on its side with the seated bead upwards, so the weight of the tire comes down on the unseated bead. This is with 29er tires. Do you think it would work on fat bikes as well or is the foam trick mandatory?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post

I'm looking forward to getting my own Clownshoes so I can set them up like this. With lights.
    I want Lights too but I just don't know how to turn them off, a Motion sensor will be wonderful

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ps: the Vinyl is 6" by 4" so I have a ton of the stuff that I can cut in different widths depending it you have clown shoes or 80mm rims..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    this is a cool thread...i'll just mark it for now til it all sinks in.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    So I take it the vinyl from Joannes worked? I thought about it because I was there the other day looking for some nice orange vinyl, sadly they didn't have any. It's a good idea to get on Joanne's mailing list they are always sending out 40 and 50% off coupons. My wife keeps getting upset because I keep steeling her coupons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    So I take it the vinyl from Joannes worked?
    Yes the transparent Vinyl works awesome, I even got lucky with the right thickness and everything

I thought about it because I was there the other day looking for some nice orange vinyl, sadly they didn't have any. It's a good idea to get on Joanne's mailing list they are always sending out 40 and 50% off coupons. My wife keeps getting upset because I keep steeling her coupons.
    I use to have a great Huck up when I live in San Francisco with tons of great fancy materials (goretex, corduras, mylar, etc) but now I'm relegated to buy retail like anybody else and Joanne fabrics is not a bad place to start..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I want Lights too but I just don't know how to turn them off, a Motion sensor will be wonderful
    How about the lights and battery inside the tire with a magnetic reed switch? Turn the lights on by putting a magnet in a certain place on the rim.

Another thought would be to ground the system to the rim (most feasible at the valve I think), lead one wire through and along a spoke to the hub, where the battery and switch would be located. This way only one wire needs to pass through from the inside of the tire.

Just throwing ideas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Another tape thought if you don't like what the OP is using is scotch 3850 heavy duty packaging tape. I just used a roll to pack a bike up for shipping and that stuff is seriously thick and strong. Definitely the heaviest and nicest packaging tape I've ever used. Picked it up at the LHWS but here's the link to it on walmart Scotch 3850 Heavy Duty Packaging Tape, 2" x 55 yards, Clear: Office : Walmart.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    Adding food coloring could definitely be a nice touch.
    nah, fill it up with glow stick sauce! :-)

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Just a thought about getting the loose bead to hold air when installing the tire: I've found it helpful to put the wheel on its side with the seated bead upwards, so the weight of the tire comes down on the unseated bead. This is with 29er tires. Do you think it would work on fat bikes as well or is the foam trick mandatory?
    I tried that trick and it didn't work for me, but I'm sure someone else could have better luck knowing that all tires are a little different. I bet that if I had used a compressor it would have worked, but I didn't want to have to resort to that since not everyone has access to one.

Try it without the foam first and no sealant. I'm sure it'll work for some people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The strips of Vinyl are all cut out and pack, hopefully tomorrow I will be able to ship them, one set of them is for a Moonlander (80mm wide strip) will see how that works out..

I will let you guys know the cost of shipping after I come back from the post office.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast