Chris Bling

How tough is a carbon Salsa Beargrease?

Hey folks,

I recently picked up a carbon Salsa Beargrease on trade for a set of wheels. I have an ICT for my main rid3, but thought a light carbon whip would be fun for more XC trails and longer climbs.

All that being said, how much abuse can they take? I am assuming they are pretty tough, but would love some real world experience from owners.

I tend to ride pretty hard and don't want to have to baby the bike.

Any thoughts would be great!

Here she is

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It couldn't possible be tough enough for a man of steel like you, but I tell you what I'm gonna do. I will trade you straight across for my tried and true time proven 2012 Mukluk. I've been riding it for 5 years now an I'm sure its gonna hold up.....
    Seriously that's a great looking bike. I'm sure that frame will hold up just fine. Salsa tends to overbuild their stuff, not knowing who is going to ride it.

Chris Bling
    Thanks for the offer Mac! I am glad you are confident it will hold up

I am planning to ride it like my Canfield Yelli Screamy so I guess we will see!

Hope some others join in. Pretty sure there are a few out there

Affordable Custom Wheels

The Dog.
    In my opinion, high quality carbon frames tend to be stronger than most metal frames out there. That being said, I did crack my original beargrease. I found a hairline crack on the downtube just in front of the BB cluster. Took it to the LBS and Salsa had a new frame in my hands within the week. The beargrease is one of the stiffest frames I have ever experienced. I say ride the sh*t out of it.

I did also put a hairline crack in my pugsley as well. Never cracked any bike but a fatbike. Well...except that time I hit a tree at 50 mph on a road bike.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    In my opinion, high quality carbon frames tend to be stronger than most metal frames out there. That being said, I did crack my original beargrease. I found a hairline crack on the downtube just in front of the BB cluster. Took it to the LBS and Salsa had a new frame in my hands within the week. The beargrease is one of the stiffest frames I have ever experienced. I say ride the sh*t out of it.

I did also put a hairline crack in my pugsley as well. Never cracked any bike but a fatbike. Well...except that time I hit a tree at 50 mph on a road bike.
    Were you running the Bluto or the rigid fork?

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

How tough is a carbon Salsa Beargrease?

My buddy has the current carbon beargrease with the bluto on it and rides the shit out of it. He's a 25 year racer and just sold his 2015 nomad and just has the beargrease now. He rides it down all of our gnarly dh tracks(looks a little rediculous but his riding speaks for itself) and he's yet to have a problem except for the occasional sore back. Ive ridden it as well and it's friggin solid. If it can handle repeated 4-6ft drops I wouldn't bat an eye at riding it hard, it will handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I took one out for a three hour marathon climb session on a Salsa demo last year. Dudes told me fifteen minutes, but after a quick "piss off, mate" and an intimidating 10,000 yard stare, they knew I wasn't effing around. Only problems were when I was mashing up the hills, the carbon around the bottom bracket did melt a little. There were light cracks too, but that happens to all my bikes just from the pure mashing power I put down. Looking into adamantium for my next fattie.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Were you running the Bluto or the rigid fork?

Rigid.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I took one out for a three hour marathon climb session on a Salsa demo last year. Dudes told me fifteen minutes, but after a quick "piss off, mate" and an intimidating 10,000 yard stare, they knew I wasn't effing around. Only problems were when I was mashing up the hills, the carbon around the bottom bracket did melt a little. There were light cracks too, but that happens to all my bikes just from the pure mashing power I put down. Looking into adamantium for my next fattie.
    Wow, quite a madman you are! I qlwould actually check out the new unobtanium frames. Those are the shiz!

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm 240 dressed and loaded.. BG is equiped with a bluto, D5's on 90mm Nextie carbon hoops.. I have been pounding it for 2 full seasons now.. It takes all I can give it, without complaint..

Did break a seatstay in a crash, but had it quickly repaired by Calfee Design..

Would definately duplicate my purchase..

D..

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by SworksDan View Post
    I'm 240 dressed and loaded.. BG is equiped with a bluto, D5's on 90mm Nextie carbon hoops.. I have been pounding it for 2 full seasons now.. It takes all I can give it, without complaint..

Did break a seatstay in a crash, but had it quickly repaired by Calfee Design..

Would definately duplicate my purchase..

D..
    What did it cost to have it repaired?

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seatstay repair was $200.00..

I am a fan of carbon... mainly because every carbon frame that I have broken was able to be repaired for under $350.00. Where as most of the Aluminum frames that broke, either via crash or simply cracking, I had to scrap..
    YMMV
    D.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dude I literally beat the living shit out of mine for 3+ years now and it's still great. Actually, you built out a set of plus summer wheels for it. It pulls double duty and is my HT in the summer. Have 1k on it, tons of big crashes, and she just keeps going.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's a stiff frame, perhaps that makes it fragile in one sense, but I rode mine hard, I'm 200#, and it was fine. I don't tend to break frames. It's a nice frame, lightweight, woudl have kept it but sold mine to get a Wozo for the shorter chainstays.

mtbr member
    Hey, Dusty, that frame looks familiar!

How tough is a carbon Salsa Beargrease?-img_1527.jpg

Busy beating the shit out of it! Takes everything I can throw at it with a smile and a shrug...