mtbr member

How strong are Holy Rolling Darryls?

I just ordered my Canvas Green Pugsley frameset, I am going to go all special ops and turn it into a wilderness stealth machine. I am wondering if I should go for the Unholy or Holy Rolling Darryls. I will end up doing quite a bit of North Shore technical riding so I don't know if the Holy rims will hold up to that. How big are the Holy holes? Maybe I could get the Unholy rims and drill them out with smaller holes than the Holies to keep the rim strength up but still enjoy some limited weight savings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Go for the holies. I have the RD's and Marge Lites. Both have proved to be pretty tough. I'm not riding North Shore-style trails, but plenty of East Coast rocks and roots. The rims are almost 1/8" thick at the center, so it would take a lot to break them in the holed-out area. FWIW, not seeing any reports of trashed rims here on the fatbike forum. (Maybe others will chime in with tales of horror.)

turtles make me hot
    I've built quite a few sets of Darryls and the rims are quite stiff and strong even before being laced up.
    I like turtles

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I drilled my own RDs with 1.375 holes, closer to 1.4375 when completed. I weigh 240lbs + gear and I ride this thing 98% as hard as my RIP9. Only on Black Diamond type downhill terrain do I have to slow because of the bounce. At lower speeds it arguably takes more of a beating. I pound it over logs, rocks, roots, and through creek beds constantly. I even holed the original valve hole and moved the valve to the seam.

ZERO problems.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Cool, I will go Holy then. I am a 130 lb feather but I do go hard down the hills, and sometimes the wheels get caught up and twisted in roots. Also, I'll set it up for bikepacking so the bike will have some load on it.

addicted to chunk
    Only damage I've done to mine was running too low of pressure, and bashing rear into root or rock edge. Put minor dents but aired up properly shouldn't happen.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    RD drilled 1.5" holes 275lbs no issues.

How strong???

This strong...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    I just ordered my Canvas Green Pugsley frameset, I am going to go all special ops and turn it into a wilderness stealth machine. I am wondering if I should go for the Unholy or Holy Rolling Darryls. I will end up doing quite a bit of North Shore technical riding so I don't know if the Holy rims will hold up to that. How big are the Holy holes? Maybe I could get the Unholy rims and drill them out with smaller holes than the Holies to keep the rim strength up but still enjoy some limited weight savings.
    Using Holy Rolling Darryl's for Canning Stock Route - 2000km, 35 days unsupported West Australian Desert riding. Starting out in 5 days - will let you know how they hold up. But I ride unrestrained trails - rock gardens - down-hill - jumps, and have yet to put a significant ding in them. Am running a Marge Lite as a trailer wheel.

T

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenomad View Post
    Using Holy Rolling Darryl's for Canning Stock Route - 2000km, 35 days unsupported West Australian Desert riding. Starting out in 5 days - will let you know how they hold up. But I ride unrestrained trails - rock gardens - down-hill - jumps, and have yet to put a significant ding in them. Am running a Marge Lite as a trailer wheel.

T
    That's bad ass.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I finally got my holy RD's in. I am now trying to lace them up and I will need some spokes. I have some old ones that I will try with my old XT hub. But I am wondering, the rims come with two spoke holes drilled at each interval, one on the left and one on the right. Can I drill another third hole in the middle? This would give me some better angles with the spokes. But would it significantly affect the strength of the rim, this third hole?

Also, anyone have recommendations for a spoke length calculator?

turtles make me hot
    Don't drill any more holes. 262 or 263mm...
    You need offset for that bike, right?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Well the front will be on a moonlander fork so no. But the rear will be offset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

I drilled my own RDs with 1.375 holes, closer to 1.4375 when completed. I weigh 240lbs + gear and I ride this thing 98% as hard as my RIP9. Only on Black Diamond type downhill terrain do I have to slow because of the bounce. At lower speeds it arguably takes more of a beating. I pound it over logs, rocks, roots, and through creek beds constantly. I even holed the original valve hole and moved the valve to the seam.

ZERO problems.
    Pretty much the same size, set up and riding style, zero issues..

Ps: I just install my Nate winter tires yesterday and the rims where perfect after many summer rides in rocky Utah terrain..