mtbr member

How Many Different Rims/Manufacturers Are There?

OK, I have a 9-zero-7, 170, large frame on the way. I was told that I can run Clown Shoe rims (100mm), and BFL tires but there is no guarantee that there will be sufficient clearance as there is little to no consistency in the manufacturing of the wheels. How many other manufacturers are there? Are any better at Q.C. than others?
    I really want to run 100 mm wheels. I also see the new Bud and Lou are actually wider than the BFL, with a more aggressive tread pattern. I like that too.

I am working on my front suspension for the 9-zero-7.

Gcappy

PS- I am saving my Cannondale Super-V full suspension build for the winter.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Those I know of are;
    Surly Clowshoe
    9:ZERO:7 FlatTop 100
    Fatback Uma 90
    Cycles U.S. Homepage - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S. - Cycles U.S. Super Fat Extra Wide 100mm

Fatback
    [QUOTE=gcappy;9621046]OK, I have a 9-zero-7, 170, large frame on the way. I was told that I can run Clown Shoe rims (100mm), and BFL tires but there is no guarantee that there will be sufficient clearance as there is little to no consistency in the manufacturing of the wheels. How many other manufacturers are there? Are any better at Q.C. than others?
    I really want to run 100 mm wheels. I also see the new Bud and Lou are actually wider than the BFL, with a more aggressive tread pattern. I like that too.

The short answer is that the chain line doesn't allow a full drive train to be used with a tire rim combo this large. That's why Surly went through the trouble of creating the Moonlander. It's not due to an inconsistency in tire or rim manufacturing.
    There have been some issues with tire buldges, but mostly these can be remedied by inflating the tire to maximum pressure and letting the casing stretch. Not a cure all, but it does help.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com