Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

How fast are you on your fat bike?

Curious for those of you that still regularly ride your regular 26 or 29 bikes , if you have ever compared your speed with your fay bike.
    in other words...have any of you ever timed yourself on a trail with a regular xc bike, then timed yourself on the same trail with your fb?
    I dont race and it doesnt matter, just that my Pugsley is new to me and I find myself wondering how my speed compares to my Cannndale.

dvn
    mtbr member
    My average speed is slightly higher on my FS 29er. I have fun on both though. I actually haven't ridden my FS in a few weeks. Lately its been all single speed with a few fat bikes rides thrown in.

Karma Vampire

On my normal trail, with some Midwestern "hills", I turn 1:35 loops on my floater and 1:25 on my SS 29'er. I can knock 5 min off both if I go like hll. Of course, I haven't ridden my SS since the end of October. I feel like my skinny tire skills are slipping because my float bike handles everything with no fuss like it is on rails.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Mine is 100% faster. My full suspension was just collecting dust. Never rode it for what ever reason. Sold it. Been out a fair bit now that I got a Moonlander.

Elitest thrill junkie
    My fat bike is slow as ****, you pedal your rear off and it goes nowhere. Doesn't mean you aren't having fun. See the "confidence" thread.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    My fat bike is slow as ****, you pedal your rear off and it goes nowhere. Doesn't mean you aren't having fun. See the "confidence" thread.
    You must be riding on a trainer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Timed myself last week on my regular 40km loop riding first fat and then 29 (exact same bike only changed the wheels). I was 13% faster on the 29-er. Only 1 measurement of course, and on a track that is fairly flat and is more suited to the 29-er, I reckon a few more timings on more hilly tracks would probably bring the difference down to 10%. Still I was shocked. Both at how comparatively slow the fatbike is on the flat and uphill sections and how it still gives more "smile per mile"

mtbr member
    I'm sad enough to log my rides in a spreadsheet....

My Pugsley is about 20% slower than my singlespeed 29er so far this year: 8mph vs 10.5mph. But that's probably not a fair test as I rode the Pugsley in the snow and mud but as the trails have dried and become faster am riding the 29er more. In similar conditions the gap is a bit less, maybe the Pugsley is about 0.5mph slower.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have come from riding 26" and then 29" hardtails over the past 20+ years. Got my Mukluk and customized it some, started riding it a few months ago. I used to ride more often than I do now. My rides on the Muk 3 seem to average about .5kph slower over the same trails and loops I used to ride on skinny tyres But the fun factor is way more

ouch....
    How fast? F'in fast....
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Depends on the trail and how many miles. I recently set a personal best time at a local 40-mile marathon XC race beating my best time by a half-hour that I did on my 26" MTB before I "went 29r" a few years ago. Loose conditions with not too many steep hills seem to work better on a fatty for me. Doesn't matter how much climbing or how big a hill is, but too many steep hills I find will slow me down. Last year I would have broken another personal best for a 48-mile race if I hadn't broken my middle chainring. Key thing is, I do not seem to get fatigued riding a fatbike, I do better on longer rides.

Where steep hills can work is if each climb was preceded by a suitable downhill of equal grade, where I don't have to rely on pedaling up each hill. That was the case in the last race I mentioned. On a normal bike, one long technical section I cannot get through with a normal bike as well as a fatty. The big wheels generate enough momentum to get me through a majority of the climbs. I recently switched to Q-tubes UL, which made a huge difference.

On flat-smooth courses you could ride a cross bike on, I'll use my 29r also, it's not fun trying to keep up with anyone on a fatty if conditions are easy-fast.

mtbr member
    Good replies everyone. Mostly what I was thinking, although unless you are competing for podiums, the fun factor probably outweighs the speed, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Like the wind. (on a calm day)
    Yesterday I took the fatbike up the mountain. Started with a 3-4 mile climb, then rode a tight rooty trail down through the aspens. All of this would have been faster on my hardtail, especially the climb, but I ride for fun. And it was fun.

Nemophilist
    Well;

I led quite a bit of the local Wednesday group ride at a decidedly non-technical, fairly smooth venue. ME leading. Unheard of. Simply unheard of. The climbs? No way. I'll never be in front there. I take my place in the back. Flat-ish ground? I could very comfortably keep pace with little drama and only a moderate effort. Rolling or slightly downhill grades? The combination of forward roll, absorption, and grip had me going FAR faster here than I have ever gone on any other bike. I was running over people, and decided to take the lead on subsequent sections. Downhill? Good Lord. I'll be burning through brake pads far faster than on any other bike. If it gets really rough I have to slow down because of the lack of suspension. The inertia is palpable, and sometimes a bit hair raising. There are a few wet sections with 6" of slimy shoe stealing gorp. I was the only one that made it. I got up on the middle ring and ACCELERATED through it. Watching everyone else make their variously unsuccessful attempts was priceless.

I don't ride my RIP9 much anymore. Feels kind of dead and lifeless. Phat is rooling my riding world.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    It really depends on the surface. When conditions are difficult enough, the fat bike becomes the faster ride. On hard and smooth surfaces and uphills it's slower.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Dittoing what TrailMaker just wrote, and adding that trail conditions play a big factor.
    The FB easily holds it's own on any trail that doesn't require FS, but ... Put it on pavement and it does get slow.
    A 15-20% reduction over a HT 29 w/Knobbies, and more like a 40-50% reduction when compared to the same 29 w/32mm Continental Contacts mounted on it.
    Percentages calculated after riding the same GPS'd 10 mile loop.

But,
    Screw science ... The FB was a better and more comfortable ride, and it absolutely draws attention ... I wonder if smiling is contagious, or if they really do like the bike that much.
    Eh, I'm smiling !

Also gonna ditto the smoother off-road downhill comment ... Good Lord !!! Get out of the way, or buy me some brake pads.

ouch....
    It's quite funny on downhill sections where you are behind someone. Once at the bottom usually get a comment like "I thought i was going to be run over by a tractor!"
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    For me I have not rode the FS since getting the Fatty
    feels like a slug on the tarmac climbs
    comes alive on the rough stuff and I am getting up stuff which I struggled on on the FS and HT
    my main riding buddies oh how they laughed when I turned up for a ride on the FB until they could not shake me off on the downs .
    "Smiles per miles " I like that mine make me smile every time I ride it .

I am using it as a fitness tool to get in shape for a week in the French Pyrenees and the way its going just may take the fat bike there also .

mtbr member
    i'm not therefor slow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I do alright. It can be a bit of a burden riding heavily rooted trails with the fattie. It just bounces a lot. In that case it's more work to ride vs. a conventional skinny bike. I don't necessarily care for the stable, slower handling either.

But for some reason it's still fun to ride!

Bad cat!
    I know I'm carrying more speed into corners and on downhills on my fattie...simply because anytime I climb on a 'regular' 29er I will wash out the first couple of corners I hit until I readjust to being on the pizza cutters and start braking more. Not to mention it seems like any rock bigger than a pebble knocks the whole bike off track. It's scary being on a 2.4 tire! I have no problem hanging with a buddy on his Rip9 unless the trail really opens up and smooths out on a downhill, then he pulls away a bit...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm faster on everything but the uphills. One some uphills, the increased traction makes up for a little of the slowness, but overall I'm a few ticks slower than on my 5" travel 26er (Maverick).

For me, there's an intangible mental factor that makes me go faster. Sometimes I'll spy a "less than optimal" route through a section and deliberately take it, just for fun. I usually let out an audible "Ha ha!" when I do it, and I'm pretty sure I'm wearing an evil grin.

mtbr member
    My local trails are quite rough and technical. I'm faster up and down on my FS bike than on my fatbike.

I also fel far less beat up on my FS bike after a long session than the fatty.

I started MTBing on rigid bikes 'cause that's all we had back then so I know how to ride a rigid bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Good replies everyone. Mostly what I was thinking, although unless you are competing for podiums, the fun factor probably outweighs the speed, right?
    Yep. I was doing jumps to transitions, tabletops and other stuff on my rigid fatbike that I'd never consider on a 29er rigid bike. I have to be careful because bumps in fast turns with berms can really buck me off the line and of course consecutive bumps/roots can be quite harsh, but it's fun to be pounding out a few jumps on a rigid bike without breaking your wrists off. I'd rather have a suspension bike (one is coming) on much of this stuff, but the fatbike is fun in it's own right, even if it's not the "fastest". Sometimes it's just fun to go out there and ride something that no one else is or do something that no one else does. Lots of people get to thinking that certain things are "impossible" and then it tends to feel pretty good when you accomplish these "impossible" feats.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Oh yeah! I do not have any bike computers on either fatty. The only way I can verify some of what I'm doing is from races, or just using my wrist-watch. In some cases there's additional terrain to ride not possible with a normal bike. So far I haven't found anything I can't ride with a fatty that I can do on a regular MTB, even if it's slower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast