mtbr member
    Jul 2017

How do you use your fat bike?

I'm new to the idea of them, and I think I'd probably just use mine to ride during the winter, but I was wondering when the fat bike is the "must-use" bike in your life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    I'm new to the idea of them, and I think I'd probably just use mine to ride during the winter, but I was wondering when the fat bike is the "must-use" bike in your life.
    We have to ride in a lot of mud, grass and loose gravel where I'm from. Fat bikes excel in wet conditions. They also grip tenaciously on the wet rocks and roots that are so common here.

And obviously sand....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you use your fat bike?-18238740_1278491155603357_628985025066575322_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I started with a diamondback recoil 29er. After two years found a framed minnesota and rode that around for like 6 months. Then came a trek farley 7 2017. I love my fat bike. I dont think ill go back to a "normal bike". The way the farley handles and drives. Its light. U can do anything and go anywher lol. I do alot of woods riding. Mud, trees, gravel, water. Its amazing what diff a wider tire makes.

mtbr member

predawn beach riding

Scout for sea turtle crawls, texting locations to teams
    that confirm, fence and potentially relocate nests after sunrise.
    How do you use your fat bike?-predawnbeach.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I use mine to ride the mountain bike trails. Superior handling, comfortable ride. I don't ride it on the road, not even TO the mountain bike trails which are only about 5 miles from here. If you prefer to shred, buy a fat bike, stud the tires, put it away until it snows and ride your conventional mountain bike. If you like just cruising - dirt, gravel, mud, or regular old mountain bike trails, get a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Living in an . African city, roads not good, best ride access out of the city is on the beach, outer suburban roads are sandy clay mix (loose in the dry season) and outer city rural trails are generally loose sandy trails. The fatty basically covers all conditions in one bike, perhaps a 650+ might at a push do the job but rigid fat gets it done

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I use the fat bike when the weather is wet and the trails are slippy so it gets a few uses during the summer then predominantly during the winter.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Think of the fatbike as a Jeep!! There are plenty of times that I just break out the fat to ride across town to visit a friend or family. Other times it's to ride some singletrack. The fat is all about the smiles per mile factor.

The fat and two b+ are the must play with bikes in life! They reduce many to giggly 10 year olds and are able to relieve stress in our lives that nothing else is capable of. Below are a couple shots of the Mayor on January 1st having a good time...

How do you use your fat bike?-img_0743.jpg

How do you use your fat bike?-img_0737.jpg
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Workin for the weekend!
    I use mine for soft conditions (sand, snow) or overtly technical slippery conditions (mossy rock) or ice cream rides with the kids... Fat rides nice on gravel paths at low speeds.

Is nice to have the option of trail 29er or Fatty, both so different.
    Todd

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I use it for everything. Fat tires excel in loose stuff, but for everything else they are less efficient. Sometimes a lot less efficient (road/hardpack). I don't care. I have other bikes but I don't ride them much. I ride my SS Pugs because it is plain FUN!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here in Central FL you can't leave a tended and maintained road without getting into sand, very loose sand, and depending on your weight, it can get so that you need all the float you can (4.5 to 5+ just cuts it my 220 lbs). I have a squish 29er and can say nothing handles RR rock ballast and even sleepers as a Fatie. At the beach it's the go to self propulsed vehicle as nothing else can handle it.

Flying Sasquatch
    I ride mine on twisty singletrack, downhill runs, BMX, skate park, adventuring, and around the neighborhood with the family. The fat bike is the bike that can do everything. You just need to pick tires that were designed for something similar to what you're doing. Air pressure is also a huge factor. Guys say that fat bikes are so slow and sluggish, and they are if you run 6-10 psi. Kick your tires up to 13-16 axed they roll much better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodi7537 View Post
    I love my fat bike. I dont think ill go back to a "normal bike". The way the farley handles and drives. Its light. U can do anything and go anywher lol. I do alot of woods riding. Mud, trees, gravel, water. Its amazing what diff a wider tire makes.
    I second Kodi7537's position. I ride my fat bike. I'm riding Midwest singletracks all over the place. I prefer riding the fat bike. It is more forgiving of handling mistakes, it goes over everything, and has confidence-inspiring grip. Plus, it is just a fun ride. I feel like a kid goofing off. I kept my 29er only as a loner bike when I'm introducing newbies. I ride for fun first and then fitness, not race speed. I guess if I was a speed freak or weight weeny I'd feel differently.

Flying Sasquatch
    ^^^^ this

Elitest thrill junkie
    I use it in the winter for everything, races, rides, etc. and for commuting in the summer. Too slow, sluggish and poor-handling for my riding in the summer. They don't cure cancer and end war in the Middle East.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I second Kodi7537's position. I ride my fat bike. I'm riding Midwest singletracks all over the place. I prefer riding the fat bike. It is more forgiving of handling mistakes, it goes over everything, and has confidence-inspiring grip. Plus, it is just a fun ride. I feel like a kid goofing off. I kept my 29er only as a loner bike when I'm introducing newbies. I ride for fun first and then fitness, not race speed. I guess if I was a speed freak or weight weeny I'd feel differently.
    It's all about piss poor fuel economy and conquering stuff that lil tires plain suffer at.

The Middle East can figure out their own issues...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I use mine all year. Summer set up is 27.5 Jackalopes with 3.8 Hodags and a bluto. I do love the way it handles and the confidence it gives. I love the setup and run it hard. May be doing the Farley EX as am now 60 and my back is starting to howl about it really bad on the rocky and rooty trails.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Everyone is going to be different. But I'm a chubby lover. I've tried the skinnies but always go back to the fat. I demo'ed a 429 trail today, spent about 4 hrs on it, I just don't have the confidence in the corners with a 29 that I do with FS fat bike. With time, I probably could get used to it, but why bother, 29 feel twitchy to me, probably similar to how fat bikes feel sluggish to others

mtbr member
    A winter mtb
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

passed out in your garden
    Hi, my name is Chris, and lm a Fataholic, my addiction started in Feb 2015.

I use mine everywhere
    4.8 tyres, sluggish? just need stronger legs....
    I commute on it (20kms each way), l ride road on it, l gravel grind on it, l do trails on it, beach snow and mud.
    I also have an FS 29er that never gets ridden, and a roadbike that gets approx 20% loving.

always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My bike is an automobile replacement. I don't own an automobile, and I never will. I use the bike mainly for commuting to work and back (11.7 miles round trip).

And now for the lame disclaimers:
    (1) my wife has a van which I use sometimes, and
    (2) my bike has a motor, but I always pedal with all of my power. I lost 70 pounds.

If I did own a car, there would be no place to park it either at home or work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How do you use your fat bike?-myride.jpg

use it as much as i can. mostly paved trails for fun. gave up the mud 30 years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Year-round here in Pennsylvania. Got rid of my enduro. Just have the two fatbikes for daily use plus a DJ and a DH.

Riding places that would never have been possible before. Good conversation-starter meeting new people as fatbikes are surprisingly-rare here.

Professional Crastinator
    I was asking myself the same questions the OP is asking.

"What would I use it for?"
    "Am I really going to ride it, or is it going to sit there collecting dust 9 months of the year?"

Well, it has proven to be very capable and very fun. I can fearlessly ride where I previously could not: mud, sand, snow, slush, off-trail, game trail, even a little road and path. The worse the conditions, the more the fatty shines. If I really want to go fast, my 29er is still the ticket, but when conditions are poor, the fatty is faster. Riding the fatty is only "bad" on the street... and it's not that bad.
    How do you use your fat bike?-topside.jpgHow do you use your fat bike?-100_0448.jpgHow do you use your fat bike?-h1x.jpgHow do you use your fat bike?-h5.jpgHow do you use your fat bike?-findleywet.jpgHow do you use your fat bike?-img_5492.jpg

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Snow, singletrack, doubletrack, pavement, gravel grinders, rail trails, pretty much whatever comes up.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    My fat is my only bike so I use it everywhere on any condition year round. For the "dry" months use a Bluto and 4" tires, in the winter use a rigid and 4.8 tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My fatty is my daily. Everything is just a little more fun on it. That bike drags me off the couch on a daily basis.
    Last edited by Tokyo Banana; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Use? Sit on it and pedal. Snow here in New England, beach rides, dirt all year. Yea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm using my fatty to learn trials skills from the Ryan Leech site. Fun!

All fat, all the time.
    All year long, swap wheels and tires for the snow. Trail riding, exploring, beaches. Go anywhere with a smile.

MN/WI
    In the winter, I use my Pug Ops w/Big O fenders for commuting. The Farley 9.8 is used year round and will not see road salt. I frequent the trails in the Twin Cities and love the CAMBA trails in NW WI.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Chiming in.

Yes, don't listen to the seasonal-type marketing and sales departments.

Fat bikes are "More Capable Off-Road Bikes". Like when MTB's first came out. They could go where road bikes could not. There is no season to them. Thats how we at our bike shop sell them.

It by far is my favourite bike to ride any time, any where, with no limits to whatever terrain that suits my mood. We got a crew around here that regularly do long-distace road riding on theirs. They report all the looks they get from the "Seasonal Roadies.

"That's not the right bike for riding here". LOL!

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    All year long, swap wheels and tires for the snow. Trail riding, exploring, beaches. Go anywhere with a smile.
    ^^What he said

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I ride road 14 miles weekdays at 6am before work and trails every weekends 16 miles ++. Every roadie passes me but i track stand my fatty in front of them on every stop light and jump every curb any chance i get. A rider once told me " you are having way too much fun". like one poster here said, " i ride for fun and not speed" i have a yellow tri spoke wheel as well and i always get the "nice bike" remark. HA! Life is Good..

Jammin' Econo
    I use my fat bike primarily when that much floatation/traction is required (winter, certain bikepacking trips, etc), and sometimes even when it's not, just for a different 'flavor.'
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    After several years of riding it everywhere, with summer and winter wheels, its now my summer time townie/barhopper. It doesn't get real mileage until the snow flies. It would be a different story if there were beaches around here. Its a fun bike, but I got tired of it trying to kill me at speed. Full squish + is the current smile generator.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    I actually use mine as a commuter... which also includes dirt trails since I live in the mountains.

The 4" Jumbo Jims roll extremely well and the bike is significantly faster than my full suspension bike on the pavement.

Just bought it in the late spring but I'm looking forward to the winter commutes as well.

PRETENDURO
    I ride my fatbikes everywhere and all the time, as if they were “normal” bikes. On weekend big-mile (40+ miles) group rides, I’ve taken out my fully-rigid singlespeed fatbike (a svelte 26 pounds ) and had fared just fine. The same fully-rigid fattie I’ve been racing Cat1 singlespeed XC for two seasons against people on “normal” (sub-20-pound) bikes and still somewhat competitive (racing mainly for fun, LOL!). For my regular fitness-centric rides I’ll alternate between my 31 pound front-squish Borealis Echo and the fully-rigid singlespeed, depending on how many 25%+ grades there are to climb. After a while you get used to having the “wrong” bike for the conditions. However, on certain types of terrain, they give you a little bit more confidence in terms of late braking and off-camber situations. The extra weight? Use it as a fitness training aid.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    Mainly as a tarmac commuter with 29er wheels, often extended routes home with hills thrown in, including a cat4. Pretty much a training bike for when I grab the road bike for speed runs and/or multiple cat4 hill rides in the South Downs.

since 4/10/2009
    My fatbike is my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    My fatbike is my mountain bike.
    Exactly this!

Music & Bikes
    I start to hesitate when I choose which bike to take, the MTB or the Fatty.

Is it bad doctor ?
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

aka bOb
    Mine holds up the basement wall until the snow flies, just not as much fun in the summer as my skinny bike, ymmv.

mtbr member
    I ain't never seen any mountains....

2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    At this point it seems like I'm using it to find out all the tools I should've had. I'll be using mine for bikepacking and commuting.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Mine holds up the basement wall until the snow flies, just not as much fun in the summer as my skinny bike, ymmv.
    Slacker!! Can't even say Jeep. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    I ain't never seen any mountains....

Your bike is a beach bum!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    May seem silly but I got a cheap 4" wide fatbike just to put a bag on the front and runs post office errands in the city. Ignoring storm drains and potholes is the main reason I prefer fat city riding. My 16" Brompton collects dust now.

mtbr member

Love my fatty

I'm old and slow anyway so it doesn't matter if it's fat and heavy.
    I like the big (2.25) tires too.

How do you use your fat bike?-ringwood-manor02.jpg
    Northern NJ

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Hi, my name is Chris, and lm a Fataholic, my addiction started in Feb 2015.

I use mine everywhere
    4.8 tyres, sluggish? just need stronger legs....
    I commute on it (20kms each way), l ride road on it, l gravel grind on it, l do trails on it, beach snow and mud.
    I also have an FS 29er that never gets ridden, and a roadbike that gets approx 20% loving.
    commuting home today (loving the Bluto)

always mad and usually drunk......

turtles make me hot
    All fat all the time.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    It's my only bike and an all season ride. Just put some Pub Carbon wheels on to make it a bit sweeter. Studded D5's for snow/ice & Minions FBF for the rest. Perfect for the clumsy rider like myself.
    16' Framed AK white/black 21" FAT
    97' Cannondale Super V yellow/black