mtbr member
    Mar 2012

How do I get my Boris ready for the beach?

I am going to the OBX and I bought a Boris so I could do 1-2 hour rides by the water. The sand is pretty packed by the water . I will not be getting it wet but how do I keep the bike from getting messed up? It is alloy with a chromoly fork. I am fired up about the beach rides. The other day is took it to my fitter and got a new saddle and cork ergon grips
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

turtles make me hot
    I guess put frame saver in the fork and use a dry chain lube so you don't pick up a lot of sand. I put bolts in my water bottle cage holes so sand and water didn't get inside my frame.
    That's really about it. Grease your seatpost.
    I like turtles

All fat, all the time.
    Sun block - check.
    Sunglasses (for spying on bikini girls) - check.
    Mellow cruising tunes - check.

Good to go

Fat & Single
    Beat me to it Shark.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

All fat, all the time.
    Banana hammock - check!

Fat & Single
    George Dub as a model - check !
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I guess put frame saver in the fork and use a dry chain lube so you don't pick up a lot of sand. I put bolts in my water bottle cage holes so sand and water didn't get inside my frame.
    That's really about it. Grease your seatpost.
    What is frame saver?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    What is frame saver?
    It's this liquid you pour/brush into the inside of steel frames to prevent rust.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I am going to the OBX and I bought a Boris so I could do 1-2 hour rides by the water. The sand is pretty packed by the water . I will not be getting it wet
    Sorry for responding a bit late but... here goes.

I ride my X7 at Daytona Beach, getting it wet! Had to change all the little chrome screws 5mm ones... to stainless. Spokes and rims fare well. I keep a close eye on wheel bearings, bottom bracket, etc. So far so good.

I don't actually ride in the water, but there are numerous tidal runoff areas that get crossed. Maybe an inch or so of sea water, and wet sand, so lots of splash and spray.

The stem clamp screws are getting rusty, need to get that size (6mm?) in stainless. As someone said, plug all the open braze-on holes.

I use Boeshield T9 on the chain and wipe it down well with a dry rag, so the chain is essentially dry.

Cables were changed to Jagwire with the little sealing bootie things. So far so good. Needed longer cables when I put on the Jones H-Loop handlebar, so can't say how the oem cables would be.

Have had issues with the cores of the Presta valves rusting/decaying/leaking. I thought they were brass? Maybe mine are cheap but I've had to change 'em twice from the OEM ones. Got 'em cheap on Amazon, so maybe they're not the best out there.

Most important, in my estimation, is rinsing EVERYTHING with fresh water from a hose (not blast, just rinse). Get the salt off. Then relube the chain and wipe it down the next day.

Hope this helps someone out there...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    About covered. Dry lube and rinse it well. I tend to potter as slow as possible through the shallow water xings to minimize the amount of salt water being flung around

mtbr member
    Swap out for a beater chain. No matter how much you prep/baby it, the chain will rust if you're there for anywhere upwards of a week. I washed and lubed mine every day and it still showed spots of rust. Salt is a b***h.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    Swap out for a beater chain. No matter how much you prep/baby it, the chain will rust if you're there for anywhere upwards of a week. I washed and lubed mine every day and it still showed spots of rust. Salt is a b***h.
    Not true if you use a good quality dry chain lube on a Stainless chain or full nickel plated chain, we ride 3-4 times a week on the coast and using Squirt Dry lube have no rusting issues...
    My original Pugsley is 10 years old this coming October and with over 13,000 miles now is still sweet,

Here is a blog post from 2011 i wrote on prepping a Fatbike for beach rides which covers all the things not mentioned like brakes, Bottom Brackets and from experience what has worked and what does not and hopefully could save you Some money

coastrider: Fatbike Preparation for Beach Riding...
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks! Great article...

mtbr member

beach chain

Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Not true if you use a good quality dry chain lube on a Stainless chain or full nickel plated chain, we ride 3-4 times a week on the coast and using Squirt Dry lube have no rusting issues...
    Riding Atlantic beach daily for most of year with KMC EPT chain, lubed twice weekly with Squirt. No rust yet.

mtbr member
    Rock'nRoll Gold on the chain, avoid any salt water splash and rinse if hit. Otherwise clean after. I sometimes rinse in fresh water after if windy and salty. Sunscreen and eye protection.