Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

How did you choose your saddle?

I have an old Selle saddle that I've used for years, but it has never been anything special. I've gone into the LBS and REI and looked at seats, but I have no idea how I should proceed. I've tried searching the forums but seem to always come up empty handed(or seated as it may be. ) Anyone know of a website, or have any ideas of what to look for. I know it is highly personal piece of riding, but I am at a total loss in this.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

mtbr member
    Trial and error.

A great place to start would be a Trek/Bontrager dealer. They can measure your sit bones to get an idea of what saddle to start with. I also believe they offer an Unconditional Comfort Guarantee so you can try a different one if you don't like the first.

Specialized also has the ass-measuring system

WTB also does a demo saddle program that allows you to try before you buy, but it may be hard to find a shop that does this.

mtbr member
    Fizik has a dealer program as well with several variations to try in-shop. If I recall Terry has a like it guarantee too. When you get a given seat or have one, try to pinpoint what aspect you like or dislike about the one you have. That will give you a baseline to compare. Do not be misled by padding vs hard though. Often the harder seats are in fact more comfortable.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

turtles make me hot
    I was riding WTB Rocket Vees forever. A couple of weeks ago, I go in the LBS and there's a box of saddles for ten bucks apiece. Among them was a brand new Pure Vee test saddle. I nabbed it, put it on my bike and I love it.
    I like turtles

B2
    I like the Spec. Saddles, but the assomerter measured me @ 130 but I feel better @143.
    Its best just to try a few and see what works best for your arse.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I tried 6 different saddles before I settled on my Selle SMP PRO. Now the saddle just vanishes under me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It was comfortable, came in white and has a polar bear embossed in it. Chromag Trailmaster. Awesome saddle

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Love my Selle SMP saddle but it sure is cold in the winter. Using a WTB for the winter and the SMP in the warmer months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Brooks B17 can't go wrong. the special is even better.

Fat & Single
    After spending a lot of cash and going through many saddles i found what fitted my ass. There was once i thought i found the golden slipper, changed all my bikes to the same saddle just to find after 6 weeks it was spreading/hurting my sitbones, rep to the guys above.... getting them measured is a good starting point.

I also thought that the more padding the better, this was also wrong, now currently riding SLR flow & SLR superflow, very little padding but fit like a glove with large cutouts for your schlong so no pain down there either
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    It sounds like I need to bring my helmet and show up at one of the LBS and ask to test some out. I was thinking of picking up one off craigslist. there is a Selle Italia Flite, and a San Marco seat for $20 apiece, but i know so little about seats I can't even tell if they are road specific seats or not. If they were better than what i have $20 isn't much to spend.
    Selle Italia Flite and San Marco Saddle
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Yeah, find a shop that will let you try different saddles on a bike and ride them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am sold on leather saddles. Currently use a few different Brooks saddles. The saddle of choice for me on my pugs fat bike is the Brooks Colt. I am a big touring cyclist in the summer and found the B17 with springs worked on my LHT, but on my pugs the saddle was to wide and rubbed my inner thighs. A narrow long saddle works best for MB because I seem to move on and off my seat a lot.

You don't have to go with Brooks, there are a lot of other leather saddle manufacturers.

Here is why I like Leather.

1. The leather moulds to your under parts and becomes very comfortable.
    2. The leather breaths and take moisture away from my skin and into the leather.
    3. Good year round material. Cool in summer and warm in winter.
    4. Good support. Not too soft and after it is broken in not too hard.
    5. Adjustable. If it is too soft you can tighten a screw at the nose and tighten it up.

I am thinking of trying a Brooks B15 SWALLOW CHROME next.

BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | ROAD & MTB | B15 SWALLOW CHROME

My thoughts for what there worth.

-Garret

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am beginning to find that the type of seat typically matches the type of riding your doing. Aggresive seat positions on a road bike don't typically cater to the casual fat bike seating position and vice versa.

Icebiker

"Pure" luck

I rode for years going from saddle to saddle (Bontrager, WTB SST, Specialized, etc) and could never find one that fit right. Then, on a business trip in 2009 to Palm Springs, I rented a beater Giant Trance and met up with some local MTBR riders for a ride in the mountains above town. When I returned to the shop to turn in the bike, I noticed for the first time my butt didn't hurt after a long ride, on a bike that didn't even fit me well. Saddle was a WTB Pure V. I bought the saddle right off the bike, nicks, scratches and all! Have since put Pure V's on my other bikes.

mtbr member
    My personal fav among the Terry brand started as Liberators, then came to the Butterfly. Even though they are similar in size dimensions the butterfly has a slightly more gradual top arch which fits nicely. A person's dimensions and tolerances can change in time. The Liberator was a good fit when I was in college, but with my currently slightly wider hips it feels more like a fence rail compared to the butterfly.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    I have an old Selle saddle that I've used for years, but it has never been anything special. I've gone into the LBS and REI and looked at seats, but I have no idea how I should proceed. I've tried searching the forums but seem to always come up empty handed(or seated as it may be. ) Anyone know of a website, or have any ideas of what to look for. I know it is highly personal piece of riding, but I am at a total loss in this.
    Few things to consider:
    - how wide are your butt bones
    - how much do you lean forward
    - if you sit still or move back and forward while riding

I would look for more info on the fizik, selle smp, selle italia and san marco websites.
    Wtb makes nice saddles, exp the old ones.

+1 for smp saddles, I run the 209 and i really like it.

Human Test Subject
    This thread has some good tips. I'm starting to dislike my Koobi though...at least compared to my now discontinued Specialized Avatar Team.

Favorite all day saddles?

mtbr member
    After reading around the Brooks leather saddles came highly recommended, the first 50 miles while it shaped me to fit* then pure comfort. Now got Brooks on all my bikes, mostly B17s with a Swift on one bike (coincidently a Swift )

*Contrary to popular belief I'm sure that it's the saddle that breaks you in on the basis that the first took time to break in the others were comfy straightoutof the box
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    I liked the one my bike came with. WTB Pure V.
    Although it is bigger than the "Sit bones" theory recommended.

how to measure sit bone width | Artís Cyclery Blog
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    How did you choose your saddle?
    It was on sale. LOL. WTB Laser V saddle. Not the most comfortable one out there, but Iíve gotten used to it on long rides (40+ miles).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benswift View Post
    Brooks B17 can't go wrong. the special is even better.
    I will have to agree - I used to love the Bontrager A** hachet, Flights and a few WTBs until I sat on a brooks b17 narrow.

It is all about personal spaces - any saddle that you can get off of at then end of a long ride and only think about legs hurting is the right one.
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Fat Bike Saddle

Brooks B-17 works best for me. It is comfortable for long, slow rides and conforms to your anatomy.

mtbr member
    I had a WTB Laser, but it was killing me, switched to a Terry Liberator and it is a ton more comfortable.

If one saddle type worked for everyone or even most people, they would have it dialed in, but as they don't seems you're pretty much on your own to find one that works for you. Looking for those shops mentioned above to try before you buy seem like the best deal, even if you pay a little more for the saddle.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to find a new saddle ATM too, want to try something new but the WTB Pure V on my HT is comfy ass!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast