Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This How Bad I've Got It!

So I sell my Pugsley in late winter 'cause I plan on picking up a sweet carbon Beargrease this fall. One thing I noticed with my Pugs (and other fat bikes) was that hauling it back & forth on a hitch rack exposed it to copious amounts of salt from road spray. The various aluminum bits like rotors, bolts and of course the painted steel frame were in pretty bad shape after 3 seasons.

Here's where I may be losing it.......I can't "Bear" to see my carbon sled suffer the same fate and I and very close to trading my Accord coupe for a minivan so I can toss the bike into the van and save the horror of watching it's non carbon parts suffer needlessly.

Am I nuts for giving up my gas saving Honda for a Grand Caravan just because I'm a Fathead? Discuss!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    I now drive around in a van instead of a car. Enough said.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

never summer
    First mistake was selling the beater. Screw a caravan...get a Eurovan Camper or MB Sprinter.

Either way if you use your bike then it should show it.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Plenty of cars have room for a fat bike..... I have a 3 series BMW saloon, take the wheels off throw them in the boot and the frame on the back seat. Touring 3er would be better and a Van would be 100 times easier however!!

mtbr member
    Hubby has a truck. I have a minivan. The bikes ride in the van, all the time, no matter how muddy or snowy or sandy they get.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    This is a major reason that I drive an old-school Chevy Caprice station wagon...

mighty sailin' man
    hitch rack in the summer, bike fits in the back seat with the front wheel removed when it gets sloppy

bike is worth more than the car
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: This How Bad I've Got It!

Just keep it clean and lubricated and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just had an awesome idea.

Buy a curt hitch mount cargo basket, mount a roof rack bike tray to it, build an alum. frame around it, enclose it in fabric with a zipper door.

BOOM!! Bike garage on the back of your accord.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I just had an awesome idea.

Buy a curt hitch mount cargo basket, mount a roof rack bike tray to it, build an alum. frame around it, enclose it in fabric with a zipper door.

BOOM!! Bike garage on the back of your accord.
    Haha! All good points. I didn't really give enough info. The van would be my daily driver (yuck) and since my wife rides, we have a trail dog, we camp a lot, and my bikes are XL it seems like a minivan with it's seats stowed away is a pretty slick way to go. I just wish I had enough coin to keep the Accord for daily use. And...I don't want to remove the front wheel unless I have to, it's really nice to roll the bike into the vehicle and drive away.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Perpetual n00b

This How Bad I've Got It!

Hmm. I have a Civic. It's cheaper to rinse the bike off than to have a gas guzzler that costs nearly twice as much to fill up. But if you can afford it then go for it!
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Nemophilist
    Well;

I've been driving a mini van for years. Single, no family. 2 seats. Pickup truck with a permanent roof, but much better mileage. Hauls all my stuff. The only vehicle to have if you can only have one. Kind of a no brainer, really.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Hmm. I have a Civic. It's cheaper to rinse the bike off than to have a gas guzzler that costs nearly twice as much to fill up. But if you can afford it then go for it!
    It's pretty tough to rinse off your bike when it's 20 degrees and the wind is howling.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    It's pretty tough to rinse off your bike when it's 20 degrees and the wind is howling.
    I take mine to the car wash. The wand is always running at low pressure so it doesn't cost anything. Then I park it inside for a bit while it dries out.

Temps somewhere between 0 and 17 F
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Minivan, I have had a van for since I was 26 I am now 54 (not the same van). It does everything I need it to do, more practical than an SUV, half ton or car. I have considered all the above but always come back to the practicability of a van. Put stuff in it, put bikes in it, put people in it, sleep in it, in it. Lots of good used ones out there at good prices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This How Bad I've Got It!-van.jpg  

Last edited by temporoad; 07-04-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

Icebiker
    We've had 2 minivans (2002 and 2007 Odyssey Touring)...I would have kept the latter as my biking vehicle if it came with AWD. Sweet van, and good looking too. If biking is a big part of your life, then a van, wagon or SUV are a better choice than a sedan. A biking buddy of mine has a Eurovan and a Vanagon...can't be beat for biking....hauls the bikes out of the elements, and serves as a roomy, private, comfy place to change before/after riding.

Fat & Single
    How about a custom made canvas bag that goes over the bike and a couple of straps around it to hold it in place and to stop it flapping around.... also keeps prying eyes of your bike.

I have thought about doing this for when im carrying 1 bike over a long distance.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I now drive around in a van instead of a car. Enough said.
    Do you live in the van, down by the river?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

29er
    Apr 2010
    get mud flaps for the car, problem solved

mtbr member
    One does not necessarily need a large car to haul bike(s): here's a picture of my friend's Renault 4

This How Bad I've Got It!-na-ytto-kuva-2013-07-04-kohteessa-8.00.11.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    How about a custom made canvas bag that goes over the bike and a couple of straps around it to hold it in place and to stop it flapping around....
    We just got some pretty nice canvas covers for the patio furniture. I'm sure the table or sofa sized cover would fit the bike on rack easily.

If you're looking for custom work try a shop that deals with boat covers and canopy tops. My family always had custom jobs made for the boats back when I was a kid. Though if you're not near the water this could be fruitless.

muddy guy
    Jan 2011
    Have a trim man build a giant bike bag that zips over your bike while on the rack. Make it out of water proof fabric and let the bag take all the abuse. Then hose that off in the spring. It could fit loose and bungee cords could snug it up. Or if your trim man is good, he'll make it big enough for 2 bikes and you've got yourself a Xmas gift.
    That's what I'm doing.
    I will post pics once done.

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    First mistake was selling the beater. Screw a caravan...get a Eurovan Camper or MB Sprinter.

Either way if you use your bike then it should show it.
    ^^^^^im in a eurovan^^^

mtbr member
    The vinyl canvas bag thing is a good idea and the eurovan if you can get one. The one thing I forgot if you are looking for a different vehicle is the Honda Element, they are no longer made but there are used ones out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This How Bad I've Got It!-img00169.jpg  

BBB (big beautiful bike)

muddy guy
    Jan 2011
    The Honda Element has the room to put your fat bike in without removing front wheel. The head room is unbelievable. Great vehicle if you are shopping for one. Not the most fuel efficient. But a Honda none the less. I love my Element and am sad they stopped producing them.
    Bring your bike when you take one for a test drive. AWD is great in winter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast