Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hope or formula brakes?

Thinking of dumping the Elixir 5 brakes on my BG. I am looking at Formula R1 or Hope Race Evo X2. Any opinions on either of these for year round riding? I have used the Formulas in the past and have had good luck. Reading some good reviews on the Hopes as well.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    have the brand new race evo tech 2 and love them ....they feel amazing much better than my carbon elixir....

Is this Eundro'ing?
    I have the Mono Mini's, Tech X2s and the M4 Evo's. Amazing feel, loads of power, feathery modulation and they're gorgeous to boot....I'll never buy a brake other than Hopes.

mtbr member
    I have had the same pair of Hope Mono Mini's for 5 years now. They have seen use on my Karate Monkey, and now my Pugsley. They have been on my Pugs since the first snowblind white completes became available. I have bled them once every other year and replaced the pads twice. I probably only put about 1000 miles a year (maximum) on that bike as it is my go to after I am tired of racing season.

I have Formula's on my race bike and while they are great, I prefer my Hopes for basing around. Just nothing to worry about with them vs. the Formula's. My R1's are sensitive to setup. The pad clearance for the rotor is definitely tighter. If you are running a non-offset setup, no big deal. But if you have a Moonlander, Pugsley, or offset 9zero7, you may have a hard time aligning the caliper.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback. Hope Brakes sound like they are low maintenance and have good modulation. These are probably 1 and 2 on my priority list. Weight and power are 3 and 4. I am leaning toward the Race Evo X2 with a 160 front and 140 rear. I have had good experience with Formula, but kind of want to try something new. Any other feedback, good or bad? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't have any of the new, NEW Hope's but I do have nine sets of them on my bikes (all my bikes with disc brakes except for two), from the old style with the knob on the top to 6-ti mono's, needless to say I love them, they are very dependable and super easy to work on..

But for my fatbike I when with XTR "STI" dual control levers because in my opinion they provide the best ergonomics with winter gloves..

mtbr member
    Hopes are forever brakes. You can still get parts for early models.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Had the Mono Minis which I liked, then the M4 Evos which I don't like (not enough power, too much level travel) and will replace with XTs.

I still prefer the M4s over any of the Hydro discs that I've tried (Elixirs and Code Rs).

Is this Eundro'ing?
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Had the Mono Minis which I liked, then the M4 Evos which I don't like (not enough power, too much level travel) and will replace with XTs.

I still prefer the M4s over any of the Hydro discs that I've tried (Elixirs and Code Rs).
    Not to thread hijack, but I've never heard of M4s not having enough power. It brings to question - what size rotor and what type of terrain/riding are you doing?

With my M4s I run a 203 front rotor and 185 rear. Lever travel is minimal - using the BPC and reach control knobs on the lever, I can feather the brakes on a DH run with plenty of power in reserve - I've never once thought I needed more power.

Just interested to hear more about your setup with the M4s.

mtbr member
    I had the older style of mono minis and loved them. I tried the new tech lever ones nd they are amazing.

The black with green are on my radar.

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Agree with the above. I run the Tech M4 with 203 front and a 183 at the back and weigh 15 stone almost and never have issues with power. I have them bled right and have about half an inch to an inch of throw at the lever and a ton of power. Might be worth checking the bleed and make sure the pistons are operating correctly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Hope Brakes sound like they are low maintenance and have good modulation. These are probably 1 and 2 on my priority list. Weight and power are 3 and 4. I am leaning toward the Race Evo X2 with a 160 front and 140 rear. I have had good experience with Formula, but kind of want to try something new. Any other feedback, good or bad? Thanks!
    We had issues getting a 140 rear to work on my Pugsley. I was using a set of Mono Mini Pros but the caliper wouldn't fit onto frame. There's some interference from the mount and since the shop didn't want to grind the frame, I switched to a 160 rear rotor. I'm not sure if the X2 caliper has the same round shape as the Mini Pro does.

Carl

Fat & Single
    Im a massive hope fan, had them on every bike ive built.

Currently have X2 RACE, X2 PRO and on my fat i have RACE EVO M4's with 183mm floating rotors front and back.... they can stop them big wheels on a 1c coin.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Not to thread hijack, but I've never heard of M4s not having enough power. It brings to question - what size rotor and what type of terrain/riding are you doing?

With my M4s I run a 203 front rotor and 185 rear. Lever travel is minimal - using the BPC and reach control knobs on the lever, I can feather the brakes on a DH run with plenty of power in reserve - I've never once thought I needed more power.

180mm Hope floating rotors front and back. Using whatever stock pads come with the M4s. Fairly steep but short rocky freeride terrain.

I should perhaps explain in more detail: the M4s have sufficient power, but I have to squeeze harder than I'd prefer to achieve this. What I want is fairly effortless stopping power + modulation + short lever travel.

The M4s don't ramp up braking power quickly enough for me, I can get the power, but only after more lever travel than I'd prefer. I guess a more accurate phrase would be "not enough power unless I squeeze on the levers more than I'd like".

@BertRoom: I guess I could try a re-bleed, but I've already got an XT replacement set and I prefer the shorter levers.

Edit: I forgot, I already had them bled. Didn't really improve things much.
    Last edited by womble; 12-17-2012 at 12:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Im a massive hope fan, had them on every bike ive built.

Currently have X2 RACE, X2 PRO and on my fat i have RACE EVO M4's with 183mm floating rotors front and back.... they can stop them big wheels on a 1c coin.
    do ya get change with that??

mtbr member
    Kinda related question......

I'm going to pick up some M4s for my fat hard tail (100mm front travel). After some careful though. I came to the conclusion that I wanted a 160mm rear rotor, and a 203mm front.

Thoughts?
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post
    After some careful though.
    What careful thoughts?

I'm 75 kg and run my Tech M4's with 180/160 on my Pug. I've had the brakes since 2009 and they've performed flawless, never needed more power.

The look of 200/160 might be a little "off" but if it works for you just do it.

mtbr member
    I have a weight weenie 29er running 140/160, and a heavy cargo bike with semi fat wheels running 180/203. I like the control I have with the 140 rear, and the mad stopping power of the 203 front. I would never go 140mm rear on a fat bike. But figured 160/203 would give me this combination.

But youre right. I'm probably over thinking it.

I have the discs mounted on my wheels, and it looks fine.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I had the older style of mono minis and loved them. I tried the new tech lever ones nd they are amazing.

The black with green are on my radar.
    they are on my MUK and feel great....a big difference went riding this past weekend and couldn't beleive the difference....also have a 185 rotor up front maybe that helped....

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post

An update (and continued hijack) as I've finally swapped over from the M4s to the XTs.

The M4s had about half an inch of lever throw for brake actuation, and then a good amount of travel before biting in harder. The XTs about half an inch and then the power ramps up very quickly. Bear in mind that the XT levers are much shorter- if the Hope levers were cut short, they'd probably achieve similar amount of travel.

The XTs feel more powerful as 1) I don't have to pull as far, and 2) I don't need to squeeze quite as hard.

In use, I much prefer the XTs. I prefer the Hopes for aesthetics and the ability to flip flop the levers (as well as to unmount the levers without taking off the handlebar grips).

Getting the XTs for close half the cost of the Hopes also helped with the preference.

This is based on using two sets of 2012 M4 Evos on two bikes, and one set of 2012 XTs. Stock pads across all sets.

Fat & Single
    I have ridden a set of 2012 XT's for a while on a bike i borrowed, bloody nice brakes.

Im a Hope fan so a bit biased but i reckon the M4 evo Race are hands down a better brake. If you want to go on price then buy XT's because theres not twice the difference between them, but performance, bleeding, looks and available spare parts = Hope.

Im on my 5th set of hopes and have never bought any spares apart from pads.... but at least they are available if you have a problem.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Adz
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I like hopes

mtbr member
    I have the Hope M4s' on my Sandman and they are the best brake setup I have ever had.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Yukon Rider
    I will be looking for new brakes and rotors for my BG and curious about success with Hope's in colder conditions? Good temps can consistently run at -10 to -20c here in the Yukon yet we can get, weeks at times, where temps are running at -25 or colder( and yes we still ride . Are HOPE's you are discussing (sounds most like Evo M4's) up for this in performance w/o maintenance issues? I would like to find a set up I can ride year round.

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

mtbr member
    The coldest I've rode mine is 2F or -17C.
    No problem at all.
    I really like how you can fine tune the brake levers to use one finger feathering.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast