Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hope Fatsno Thru Axle Conversion?

Does anyone know if Hope is going to come out with end caps to make my Hope Hubs compatible with the New Salsa Beargrease Thru Axle frames? I'm not opposed to getting new hubs if necessary - for a 2nd set of Beargrease wheels - but I sure do like the Hope Hubs alot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty In Hamilton View Post
    Does anyone know if Hope is going to come out with end caps to make my Hope Hubs compatible with the New Salsa Beargrease Thru Axle frames? I'm not opposed to getting new hubs if necessary - for a 2nd set of Beargrease wheels - but I sure do like the Hope Hubs alot.
    Sure would be nice if they did to aid in keeping cost down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can you not use the pro 2 conversion kit?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pro-2-conversion-kit-15mm-front/rp-prod30152?_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Hope+-+Hubs|cn:Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE|kw:93702UK_Hope+Pro+2+Conversion+Kit+15mm+Front&gclid=COvS7cbkorkCFTMQtAodpQ8Axw

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That would be too good to be true.... Do they make that same conversion for the rear? Has anyone tried to pop these in place of the standard QR?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Why not ask Hope directly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I called there and didn't get an answer.... which is why I posted here.... figuring maybe someone had tried it......

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Do you actually have the fatsno hub, or the 170mm pro hub?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    On the HOPE site they call it the PRO 2 EVO Fatsno hub. I have 2 sets - How can you tell by looking at the hub which one it is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pretty sure there's only one version. I got mine very early on and they're stamped "Pro2".

Wrench-O-Phile
    I spoke to Hope directly and was told no conversion options were available for the Fatsno hubs. But... that was a month or two ago and with all the through-axle options on the horizon that answer may have changed.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So - an Upadate from HOPE - The rear hub can be converted to thru axle with some end caps they sell. The front hub is a NO GO - However in the next couple of months there will be a redesign of the front hub which will be convertible.....

Sup
    my Paul hub looks impossible to change to 15mm also
    the inside bearing race is about 15mm so you would not be able to adjust the bearing preload .....
    just in case anyone was wondering
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Candy is your last name right.....first name Dick?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty In Hamilton View Post
    So - an Upadate from HOPE - The rear hub can be converted to thru axle with some end caps they sell. The front hub is a NO GO - However in the next couple of months there will be a redesign of the front hub which will be convertible.....
    I wanted to use a 10mm DT Swiss thru skewer, and someone at Hope told me the same thing. Then someone at Hope told me that what I needed was two non driveside spacers from a rear hub for the thru skewer. I called the US supplier and they sent me some.

I wonder if those caps could be drilled and reamed for a 15mm axle? Not sure what the diameter of the tube going through the hub is though. That could be the problem.

FWIW if you don't have a fork picked out yet the 10mm DT Swis skewer is quite nice and is a decent alternative to the 15mm axle.

turtles make me hot
    We popped apart a Hope Fatsno and found a steel axle pressed into the two bearings. A 15mm will not go through. A 9 or 10 will.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Hope with thru axle

Hope Fatsno Thru Axle Conversion?-photo.jpgHere's a hope Fatsno front hub with a 10mm Hadley thru axle. Built for me by Lacemine29. Like one of the posters said, ask for two non-drive side endcaps.

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt-Orange View Post
    my Paul hub looks impossible to change to 15mm also the inside bearing race is about 15mm so you would not be able to adjust the bearing preload .....
    just in case anyone was wondering
    Seeing the new Fatback carbon fork, I'm actually thinking of doing just that to my Big Boy. No external preload needed if you add a sleeve between the inner races of the two bearings. Done it on my home-made hubs. They held up fine through many years of use.

blogging at 29in.ch

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I bought one of those TransFat forks that comes with a new hub but wanted to use my Hope Fatsno hubs instead.

After spending two weeks sparing with Hope in the UK (US team was clueless) they said they had built up a conversion and will be offering new QR15 Fatsno hubs sometime in November. Tried to get some early parts and they then came back and said the brake rotor offset on the old Fatsno will prevent it from working on the new fork.

After noodling on it a bit, I sorted out how to use the axle caps, spacer, and seals from the hub that came with new the fork, with the body, seals, and bearings from my old Fatsno. That and some 5mm spacers to get the rotor offset now has me riding on my old Fatsno on the new suspension fork.

Hope Fatsno Thru Axle Conversion?-img_2031.jpgHope Fatsno Thru Axle Conversion?-img_2030.jpg

Certified Moots Whore...
    just ordered a set of rear non-drive side pro 2 end caps for 10mm thru axle to use on my front fatsno hub. pulled off the standard qr end caps and there is a silver axle protruding from both sides. the 10mm rear non-drive side endcaps will not go into place because this axle is in the way. any suggestions? do i remove the axle? i would assume this would weaken the hub

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The axle can be removed. It supports the QR caps and is the inner bearing surface (outer bearing surface is the hub itself). I don't know how the 10mm caps interact with the Fatsno hub bearings but you can check that after taking the existing axle out. I did find out (the hard way) that the Hope Pro 2 Hub parts do not necessarily work in the Fatsno. Check the Hope website. It provides an exploded view of the hub.
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...ntExploded.pdf

Certified Moots Whore...
    removed the axle, but the end caps are not the right size. they just wiggle around freely and would fall out if not fixed against the fork when installed.... argh...

turtles make me hot
    Wait... The end caps fall into the bearings??
    I thought with that inner tube pressed out the end caps for a 15 thru were too big for the bearings.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Where are you guys finding Hadley 10mm through axles for fatsno rear hubs??? They have to be for 170mm width, all I see are 135mm listed online. I got the end caps for mine from Hope and it works just fine. I am using a 10mm titanium aircraft bolt that is long enough, but it uses hex heads on each side. Does anyone make a 10mm quick release skewer long enough to go through the 170mm hub? That would be ideal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hope hubs do that if you don't use the circlip.
    doesn't do much of anything other than slow down popping the wheel back in in the field.

sun ringle demon hubs don't even have the circlip!!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Certified Moots Whore...
    i am talking about the front hub, not the rear hub

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast