Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Harmonius Wrench

Hold on! 45North Fat Tire?!!

I've been watching the development of this brand on-line, since they seemed to be cold weather oriented. Maybe some clothing, and then I saw they were going to do studded tires. Okay. Makes sense....

But this morning on Facebook, I se this: New Brand 45North Offers Unparalleled Cold Weather Performance | Facebook
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hold on! 45North Fat Tire?!!-45northfat.jpg  

Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Black Sheep rising
    Between this and the Big Fat Larry and the Black Floyd and the Nate, I'm looking at a substantial additional investment in the tire library.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    just when i got used to not upgrading
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I've been watching the development of this brand on-line, since they seemed to be cold weather oriented. Maybe some clothing, and then I saw they were going to do studded tires. Okay. Makes sense....

But this morning on Facebook, I se this: New Brand 45North Offers Unparalleled Cold Weather Performance | Facebook
    Is this another QBP brand?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Bah, just what we need - another skinny tyre!

Looks good - especially as they have a 120 option. Is the pricing the same as Larry/Endomorph in USA?

Will Innova be making these too?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Chronic Underachiever
    According to the whois database, 45nrth.com is registered to (drumroll) Quality Bicycle Products.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Is this another QBP brand?
    It will be available through Q according to the Facebook page, doesn't show on Q's site yet. Can't tell if it's a Q brand or just available through them.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Still, good looking tread pattern, maybe it will solve the front end washing out problems I've had with dirt riding the Larry.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    It will be available through Q according to the Facebook page, doesn't show on Q's site yet. Can't tell if it's a Q brand or just available through them.
    It is a QBP brand that will focus on cold weather riding, gear, and clothing. they are headed up by David Gabrys, who was working on the Salsa Cycles side until this brand developed.

According to the Facebook post, they will also be doing stuff like cold weather riding boots, and stuff related to riding fat bikes.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Surly aludes to this within their big announcements yesterday on their blog (husker-dus and husker-don'ts). Or maybe it's just a coincidence …

Harrumph
    Makes sense, that seems to be Q's new M.O. Here's to hoping for some good boots!
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do these guys make studded tires too? I started winter commuting last year, and for that purpose two things not currently available are essential, a studded front tire and good fenders. The path I take goes along some uncleared snow packed trails, and then along some cleared and sometimes icy asphalt pathways. You need the studs for the ice, otherwise that section is impassable, and you need the fenders to keep you and your bike reasonably clean and road grime free. Currently the packed snow trails portion is impassable at certain times of the year on 2” tires, when it gets too rutted or too soft, or hasn’t been packed enough yet. I think a fat bike with a studded front and good, full coverage, removable, fenders would have me bike commuting all winter.

(A third thing is essential as well, a good light, but those are getting cheaper and more plentiful by the day. I think it’s this new wave of cheap and powerful lights that will really make winter biking take off. The dark isn’t an issue anymore when you can throw a $125 250 lumen light on your bike.)

Really I am that slow
    Love the name and it kinna looks of a wtb muntno raptor
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ^^ Good fat fenders would be a great product line to explore.

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by western high plains View Post
    Agreed!

BTW, I pointed 45North to this thread (via Facebook) so they have a main line to our demands—I mean, requests.

Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    Between this and the Big Fat Larry and the Black Floyd and the Nate, I'm looking at a substantial additional investment in the tire library.
    Will be interesting to see if the HU casing is actually bigger than the 3.7/3.8 tires.

Now I am wishing for 3 wheelsets (50, 65-80, 100mm rims) and ALL of the tires--and I do not yet have the frame in hand!
    mtbtires.com

Really I am that slow
    Will be interesting to see if the HU casing is actually bigger than the 3.7/3.8 tires.

Now I am wishing for 3 wheelsets (50, 65-80, 100mm rims) and ALL of the tires--and I do not yet have the frame in hand!
    its a good time to be a rubber whore
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

bikeboatbrewski
    A crud catcher on the down tube and a rear rack with some zip tied clip on fenders work for me. My lower legs still get "painted" pretty good but the rest of me looks pretty.

VB has the kewlest fender(s).

mtbr member
    what is their www page? I'm pretty sure I've been on it once...

-edit- ...further research shows I'm probably wrong...
    Last edited by damnitman; 08-26-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    what is their www page? I'm pretty sure I've been on it once...
    45NRTH – Unparalleled Cold Weather Performance

mtbr member
    Hey 45NRTH. Welcome.

How about making a hitch rack that is designed to handle those fat tires?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv View Post
    A crud catcher on the down tube and a rear rack with some zip tied clip on fenders work for me. My lower legs still get "painted" pretty good but the rest of me looks pretty.

VB has the kewlest fender(s).
    I have Planet Bike ATB fenders on my current winter commuter, and I attach the front fender to the back of the fork so it comes down just that little bit further. This setup works great and my legs and boots stay clean, with only the odd speckle. I consider this essential for daily commuting. I wear a nylon shell, of course, but I don’t want to be tracking crud all over the place, and I don’t want to have to clean my pants and boots every day.

Ideally maybe the front fender would be a two piece design. A shorter fender for when you’re riding in clean but deeper snow, perhaps through snow drifts, or though low bushes, and then an extension that would go down very low and keep you very clean for commuting to work. I’d like it to be secure enough so that no one could easily steal it off my bike while parked in certain places downtown as well.

Sincerely,
    North of 49er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    As a old punkrocker, Husker du has a another connection for me: Husker Du - Could You Be The One - YouTube

And: The term, without the umlauts, means "Do you remember?" in Danish and Norwegian.
    Rip the bring!

It is a QBP brand that will focus on cold weather riding, gear, and clothing. they are headed up by David Gabrys, who was working on the Salsa Cycles side until this brand developed.

According to the Facebook post, they will also be doing stuff like cold weather riding boots, and stuff related to riding fat bikes.
    I think it is funny that Portland OR is further north than Minneapolis
    And where I am ATM an additional 2+ degrees north.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Swap?

Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    Hey, you and I +? could each buy 1 set of each, ride, and swap to see what works better in our neck of the woods. Beats spending $600+

PRETENDURO
    Damn! So, who is going to buy all three tires and do an in-depth review??? Wish I had the dollars.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

A Surly Maverick
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Damn! So, who is going to buy all three tires and do an in-depth review??? Wish I had the dollars.
    I suspect that Shiggy may well beg,steal and borrow to be the first
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by western high plains View Post
    Easy, just look at motorbike trials bikes. These are unbreakable - they've been bent in all sorts of weird shapes when I do fence wrestling.

They're even fat enough to handle BFLs

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    They may do the job Velobike but to my mind they destroy the aesthetics of the bike – they’d be much better if they were black or even clear in my opinion.

mtbr member
    I ride my bike, not look at it.

Anyhow there's nothing aesthetic about a face full of mud/dung, and those fat tyres fairly chuck the muck around.

However for the dilettantes amongst us, the mudguards are available in designer colours.

mtbr member
    So I'm just hoping their studded offering won't be another cr4p Innova studded tire with the super-cheap Innova studs...I gave my last pair of Innova studded tires away.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I ride my bike, not look at it.
    Cheers! I think your fenders are practical. I've seen some images of mud over there. Nothing like what we have over here for sure.

I'm thinking that fenders that will work for mud like we have it would need more clearance, come down around the front of the rear tire more, and have a system of stays that attaches to rack mounts, or some other ingenious way.

And they may as well be black while we're at it.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Just Ride!
    [QUOTE=Velobike;8387055]I ride my bike, not look at it.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    So I'm just hoping their studded offering won't be another cr4p Innova studded tire with the super-cheap Innova studs...I gave my last pair of Innova studded tires away.
    Well, I'm fairly certain these new tires coming out are Inova made. My friend that has seen some of the new tires and handled them says they are of really nice quality. 45North's image of the studded tire for 700c bikes smacks me as an Innova tire, and they said it didn't have carbide studs. I'm guessing it is simply a re-branding of the same Innova tire they've had for years.

I suspect Inova is capable of doing studded tires that are nice, and I second your notion that the studded fat tire, should there be one, had better be much higher quality than the examples I've seen from Innova. Anything similar to their past studded tire efforts would be a "huge" disappointment.

But.....how much would you pay for a high quality studded fat tire? Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 29"er X 2.25 tires are $175.00 each.

I would imagine a similar quality fat tire with studs would easily top 250 bucks a piece.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member

Siping

What I like about the 45N tire is the siping. On some of my other bikes I've used some WTB & Maxxis tires with that feature and found it really makes a difference. Some tires with really aggressive treads and no siping can be far worse than a tire with less tread using siping when hitting an occaisional ice patch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Easy, just look at motorbike trials bikes. These are unbreakable - they've been bent in all sorts of weird shapes when I do fence wrestling.

This would be a great starting point for fatbike specific fenders. Make that back one one piece, and extend it in the back a bit, and then add a removable extension piece on the front that would come down close to the level of the bottom peddle, to keep you very clean for commuting purposes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well, I'm fairly certain these new tires coming out are Inova made. My friend that has seen some of the new tires and handled them says they are of really nice quality. 45North's image of the studded tire for 700c bikes smacks me as an Innova tire, and they said it didn't have carbide studs. I'm guessing it is simply a re-branding of the same Innova tire they've had for years.

I suspect Inova is capable of doing studded tires that are nice, and I second your notion that the studded fat tire, should there be one, had better be much higher quality than the examples I've seen from Innova. Anything similar to their past studded tire efforts would be a "huge" disappointment.

But.....how much would you pay for a high quality studded fat tire? Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 29"er X 2.25 tires are $175.00 each.

I would imagine a similar quality fat tire with studs would easily top 250 bucks a piece.
    I paid $100 for my 26 x 2.10 Schwalbe Ice Spikers, so I don't think they have to be that expensive. These are fantastic tires btw. They literally make winter commuting possible for me. Also note, for commuting purposes anyway, that you only need one on the front. If the back end starts to slip a bit you can deal with that, as long as you have control of the front.
    Schwalbe Ice Spiker 26 x 2.10 Wire Tire - Mountain Equipment Co-op

Nice! Well done.
    mtbtires.com

runs with scissors
    Not to be ungrateful but when is someone other than Quality and Inova going to provide us with an alternate choice in fat tires? 61 north…
    61° North

mtbr member
    It's a niche market supported by...what...only the biggest bike component and accessory company in the world...It's probably gonna take a little bit longer for a company that does bicycle tires as...well...as a side gig. That being said, I have no doubt this massive influx of fatties is going to make a few people sit up and take notice.

-note- I thought the quality of the Innova studded tires I had was fine. My biggest issue was the studs themselves...definitely should have been carbides. Second issue was the tread pattern...
    S L O W
    The tires more than doubled my commute time

mtbr member
    I do want to see the winter boots they mention on their FB page...

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by dosbugs View Post
    Not to be ungrateful but when is someone other than Quality and Inova going to provide us with an alternate choice in fat tires? 61 north…

As with any niche market, things need sales to attract more product intros. I think part of the issue is that if you are a bicycle company outside of the QBP banner, you are not going to spec Surly tires, or rims for that matter.

I am betting some companies are watching this though. And it is interesting to note that something like a 45North tire, (even though it is a Q brand), isn't going to be perceived by the riding public as having anything to do with Surly. Just like the Tommisee Spider tire, which is another example, but has too much novelty to be looked upon as a serious tire.

So, maybe some other brand will jump on the fat bike bandwagon with a frame/fork, use the Husker Du, and if the bike sells we may see something more down the road in regards to more tire, more rims, and maybe more brands coming in.

Fat bikes may never get to that point. Who knows. It would take several years and lots and lots of folks to make the nut turn, in my opinion. Just look at 650B mountain stuff. Another niche bike that could be seen as a parallel to where fat bikes are now.

650B has appeal, but it is marginalized by 26"ers on one side, and 29"ers on the other. Fat bikes might move farther forward than that wheel size, but only if the big "IF" of getting folks excited about them as a fun, year round bike takes root.

I think what has just happened with regards to all these tires is surprising and opens up a lot of possibilities. Now we'll all just have to ride our bikes, wait, and see............
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BowHopper View Post
    This would be a great starting point for fatbike specific fenders. Make that back one one piece, and extend it in the back a bit, and then add a removable extension piece on the front that would come down close to the level of the bottom peddle, to keep you very clean for commuting purposes.
    Purpose built would be great, but a couple of observations. There's a bit more thought gone into my mudguards than may be obvious.

I considered extending the front. I've got a spare mudguard and I was going to cut a bit off and weld it on to the lower section. However after a bit of use I realised that it would be a nuisance every time I tried to put the bike in the back of the car with the wheel off. Also even at the height it is, I've managed to get branches caught*. A better option would be a wide crud catcher on the lower part of the frame IMO. The front of the mudguard is deliberately set low to the tyre to limit the muck chucking.

On a bike with track ends you don't want a mudguard that extends too far back or you will not be able to remove the rear wheel. I did set it up with a hinge so there's no need to remove the whole mudguard. A long rear extension following the curve of the mudguard also creates a problem with branches etc, so an extension would be better if it was a horizontal projection from the rear end of the mudguard.

These are all things that will be done with my MkII version, but I'm being slack at the moment, and probably won't get round to it until the cold wet hand of winter prompts some more enthusiasm for mudguards.

*I expected this which is why I didn't put a rear support strut on it. The flexibility of the mudguard allows quite a lot of deformation.

Purpose built would be great, but a couple of observations. There's a bit more thought gone into my mudguards than may be obvious.

I considered extending the front. I've got a spare mudguard and I was going to cut a bit off and weld it on to the lower section. However after a bit of use I realised that it would be a nuisance every time I tried to put the bike in the back of the car with the wheel off. Also even at the height it is, I've managed to get branches caught*. A better option would be a wide crud catcher on the lower part of the frame IMO. The front of the mudguard is deliberately set low to the tyre to limit the muck chucking.

On a bike with track ends you don't want a mudguard that extends too far back or you will not be able to remove the rear wheel. I did set it up with a hinge so there's no need to remove the whole mudguard. A long rear extension following the curve of the mudguard also creates a problem with branches etc, so an extension would be better if it was a horizontal projection from the rear end of the mudguard.

These are all things that will be done with my MkII version, but I'm being slack at the moment, and probably won't get round to it until the cold wet hand of winter prompts some more enthusiasm for mudguards.

*I expected this which is why I didn't put a rear support strut on it. The flexibility of the mudguard allows quite a lot of deformation.
    I would just add semi flexible mud flaps to your setup.
    mtbtires.com

As with any niche market, things need sales to attract more product intros. I think part of the issue is that if you are a bicycle company outside of the QBP banner, you are not going to spec Surly tires, or rims for that matter.

I am betting some companies are watching this though. And it is interesting to note that something like a 45North tire, (even though it is a Q brand), isn't going to be perceived by the riding public as having anything to do with Surly. Just like the Tommisee Spider tire, which is another example, but has too much novelty to be looked upon as a serious tire.

So, maybe some other brand will jump on the fat bike bandwagon with a frame/fork, use the Husker Du, and if the bike sells we may see something more down the road in regards to more tire, more rims, and maybe more brands coming in.

Fat bikes may never get to that point. Who knows. It would take several years and lots and lots of folks to make the nut turn, in my opinion. Just look at 650B mountain stuff. Another niche bike that could be seen as a parallel to where fat bikes are now.

650B has appeal, but it is marginalized by 26"ers on one side, and 29"ers on the other. Fat bikes might move farther forward than that wheel size, but only if the big "IF" of getting folks excited about them as a fun, year round bike takes root.

I think what has just happened with regards to all these tires is surprising and opens up a lot of possibilities. Now we'll all just have to ride our bikes, wait, and see............
    I would spec the Husker Du. My favorite (look) of current selection. Similar to a tread design I have worked on for rock crawling. I have other ideas for snow/sand.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I would just add semi flexible mud flaps to your setup.
    I actually made a set, but I never fitted them because I remembered a face plant episode I once had when the flap got folded and wedged under the front mudguard with some debris - that was back when a drop bar bike with 27" rims was my "mountainbike"

Hey, if you send me one of those On-One fat bike frames I can design a set around it

Then I can add it to my On-One prototype collection such as my fixed wheel Ti Pompino, 20' wheel full sus bike, and my belt drive Pompino.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I think you’ve done a great job with those, and I agree that there are times when you would want the short front fender. I’m suggesting that a front fender could have a removable extension, so you could have the best of both worlds. For commuting to work, or going to the store, or just bombing around town for whatever reason, a good full coverage fender is very nice. It keeps your shoes and pants almost completely clean. And around town you’re mostly on roads, or wide trails through city parks, or bike pathways, so there aren’t a lot of things for longer fenders to get snagged on. You’re still going to go though the mounds of snow the ploughs leave at the curbs, so you do need some clearance, but not a lot, and the lower that front fender is to the ground the cleaner you stay.

The extension wouldn’t have to be all that strong, however, because it would be for just around town. It could be shaped thin plastic, and maybe even attached with Velcro? The things I don’t like about the crud catcher on the down tube option are that it’s a long way away from the tire and doesn’t catch everything, and when you turn the wheel your feet are unprotected and right in the line of fire. Fenders that catch everything are a very nice thing. It’s sooo nice to be able to jump on your bike and ride somewhere and arrive cleaner than if you’d walked. Of course, it would also be nice to take the extension off for trail riding in snowy and overgrown places, and other weekend adventures.

I wonder if you could get in touch with the manufacturer of those fenders and inquire about a special order with some modifications? It might not be that hard to do, and I suspect you could put together a group buy on this site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just read that facebook page. These American manufacturers continue to puzzle me.

“Our team lives, works and rides in the winter-biking capital of North America, with five months of winter conditions. We have more people riding more miles in more cold than anyone else...”
    Unlikely.

Target markets for 45North include the Northeast, upper Midwest, Rocky Mountains, Pacific Northwest and Alaska. “Generally, any region that gets a snow-freeze-thaw pattern in the winter will find a ready audience for our products,” Gabrys said.
    Sooo, Canada isn’t a target market? I’ve been trying to figure out this avoidance/fear of Canada, and I’m starting to think that it might be a fear of MEC. This is exactly the kind of bike I think MEC should carry, and if they did I think they would popularize it and sell a boat load of them. MEC doesn’t trailblaze, however, so they’ll probably have to see a proven market for these bikes in Canada before they get into them, and that might be what the American manufacturers are hoping to prolong. Maybe they want to let the sleeping giant lie?

Harmonius Wrench
    Just got word on the Husker Du which was mounted on a 100mm rim. Here's the text:

Width was 104 fresh on a 100mm rim. More on riding later...pavement doesn't exactly tell us all we want to know. River Bottoms coming soon...
    Sounds promising. Especially if it stretches a bit. Could be a great alternative for those frames that won't quite clear a BFL on a hundy, perhaps?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Harmonius Wrench
    And here is the latest photo 45North posted with samples in their office.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hold on! 45North Fat Tire?!!-husker-du-tires.jpg  

Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast