Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Which Hitec/ Jeff Jones bars?

Hi everyone, any suggestions? J, H, or loop bars? Has anyone used all and can offer an opinion?

this would be replacing the stock handlebars on my pugs.

thanks in advance for any feedback, opinions, experiences, suggestions!

Anthony

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antpal01 View Post
    Hi everyone, any suggestions? J, H, or loop bars? Has anyone used all and can offer an opinion?

this would be replacing the stock handlebars on my pugs.

thanks in advance for any feedback, opinions, experiences, suggestions!

Anthony
    I have the TItec H bars and I like them overall. The main issue with them is the amount of room on the bars for shifters and brake levers. I put my shifter then brake on the other side of the junction of the bar. I use one finger for the brakes so it works for me.

You may want to try them out if you know anyone that has them. They are great for cruising but can feel like they are in your lap on steep climbs with the big sweep of the bars. YMMV...
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    If you're looking for nifty alt bars check out the Ragley Carnegie's Bar and the Salsa Bend series as well.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Disliked them both,,the J and the H. Didn't like the angle nor the room for shifter/brake gear.
    Still have the buggars. I'd love to try Ragleys...don't know where to get them.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I was frustrated by the Titec because of the lack of room on the straight sections. Looks like the Jones brand bars have more area there: H-Bar

EDIT: Enjoyed the hand position though. Very personal thing, if you can manage to try before you buy, do.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Nuts
    This won't matter at all but I would go with the Jones just cuz Jeff is so coooool
    And I love beer!!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Look, a lot of people love these bars. This type of question is too tough to answer. One man's poop is another man's whoopie-pie.

mtbr member

I have the Titec H-bars [~$75] and the Jones Loop H-bar in aluminum [~$150].

The Titec H-bar is comfy and I can set it up fine for touring and general riding. But for techy MTBing I can't get the grips/shifters/brakes in the ideal locations as there is a distinct lack of real estate behind the cross bar.

The Loop H-Bar [closed front] has a longer area behind the crossbar so you can mount an Ergon Grip, Rohloff shifter and brake lever nicely.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    I'd love to try Ragleys...don't know where to get them.
    Chain Reaction Cycles.

I've got one on both of my 29ers, but I like the Salsa Bend 2 enough on my Mukluk that I'm sticking with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thanks, everyone. VKB - great insight and pics. Makes a lot of sense. Do you find that you use multiple positions on the loop bar when riding? Or do you generally grip in one spot?

the lack of room for the shifter is making the loop bar most attractive for me, I'm thinking.

thanks,
    anthony

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I run the Jones aluminum loop bars on my Dummy and on my Muk...and love them. I got them over the H or J bars for a couple reasons. First, as noted by Vik, there's a distinct lack of room on the outboard part of the bars for brakes+shifters+grips. Second, the "closed" part of the loop makes a great location for mounting lights, computers, GPS, laptop computers, small weber grills, and skewers of raw meat. Especially if you're riding in winter and running pogies at night, the extra real estate for attachments is very, very handy.

I also do find that the loop bars do give nice secondary and tertiary hand positions, that I do use from time to time. Particular if you want to get low and get out of the wind, or just stretch your lower back, the loop bars are very, very handy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lawfarm, great comments and nice pic. The ride looks very cool. You validated what I was thinking. Appreciate you weighing in.

Anthony

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by antpal01 View Post
    Lawfarm, great comments and nice pic. The ride looks very cool. You validated what I was thinking. Appreciate you weighing in.

Anthony
    You like-a my pics?

Don't forget the Thomson dress up kit...

Loop bars look best with BFLs:

No, really:

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

For illustration purposes only. Don't try this at home.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Hitec/ Jeff Jones bars?-dscf2894.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^^^ Thats funny (!)

I'll have my new Black Sheep stem within a week I hope, then cut the steerer when I get everything set up. The bar ends are staying though. As unusual as they might look they're super functional....but like I said don't try this at home.

btw...red is so yesterday....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just bustin' your chops on the spacers. The bar ends, now that's another story...

Red is the new blac...err...uhh...

Me likey red?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Red is the new blac......
    Yah you wish

btw, my Pugs has boldly gone where no Pugs has gone before

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Here's an overhead view where I overlaid the old school on top of the new school:

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Why keep posting this. Maybe Jeff could just weld up a ti Menorah/stem combo.

mtbr member
    I have the 17 deg Salsa bars on my SS 29er. As the bike is fully rigid, I did'nt want as much angle as the over alt bars. So I could pump the front end easier. Well that was my theory. Actually works really well for me. Nice position for both cruisin and technical riding.

I have some cut-H bars for the Fat project. Which I'm not really setting up for technical riding. I felt the loop bars looked too wide for little me. The issue with the cut-H bars is where to place the shifters. As I'm not planning on running poggies, I have a Sram T900 shifter, that I will run on the right extension. If my arms were longer, I'd have gone with the loops in without hesitation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Hitec/ Jeff Jones bars?-5849385028_ff600fe115_z.jpg  

A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

Rednose/Greenback
    Interesting views.
    I got the Bend 2 bars delivered just yesterday. I'm not putting them on immediately as I want to give the greenback's cockpit some evaluation time as it is. I went with Truvativ Hussefelt's as it was a decent priced Alu riser with enough sweep (9). So far, that's working pretty good. I had tried those 17 bend bars while test riding a Muk and really liked them, so it's probably just a matter of time. But for the time being, the risers stay. What's really killing my a$$ right now is the seat.
    But that's a for different thread...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Hitec/ Jeff Jones bars?-grfb-9.jpg  

38 54' -77 15

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thanks again, guys. Great pics. I love the bar ends, suba. Lawfarm - too funny! Lol! Smallfury and apbtlvr - thanks for the pics. Very cool.

Anthony

Lighten up.
    Jones Ti Loop:

Bought this bar for my Big Dummy and been diggin' it since...

Wrapped the back section in leather from Selle AnAtomica. And look at all that real estate for lights, gadgets and mojo...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast