Thread: hitch vs trunk

mtbr member

hitch vs trunk

I don't tow anything and as a result my old 94 grand cherokee doesn't have a tow hitch and is too tall to throw the moonie on the roof

so I priced up to fit a tow hitch with electrical fittings and then the bike racks for the hitch and the total comes about $350 not a big number I know but I'd rather spend that on the moonie

then I saw the trunk type bike carrier with straps that rests against the tailgate door and is secured via straps at different places coming in around $100. My only concern on these is two of the support cups rest on the rear screen

has any one had experience of both or the trunk type? It's only going to be used about once a month and even then mostly just the moonie with occasional girly normal 26 incher

Anchorage, AK
    I like the hitch based better. Easier to remove and re install in my experience. You could save about $100 by skipping the electrical connectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hitch based are more stable, more secure, easier to lock, and less likely to damage your car or bike.

Trunk based are cheaper.

Hitched based, FTW. Better question is: hanging or tray style. Answer: Tray style that holds the wheels. Preferably a Kuat.