mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes

Just got my first fat bike and I figured out my hitch doesn't work with the 4.7 inch tires.
    I'm looking for suggestions for a 2 inch hitch mount tray style rack.
    Thanks.
    Here is a picture of my new bike - 2016 SE F@R

All fat, all the time.
    1up usa with fat spacer kit, super pleased with mine. Likely last rack you'll need to buy.
    I used to have a swagman xtc2 with the Hollywood fat tire trays, worked ok but started to get wobbly after a couple years and not a fan of the arm that touches the frame.Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-img_20160823_060813-1024x1619.jpg

mtbr member
    Saris freedom superclamp

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Kuat, 1up
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    I run the Thule T2. Works great for me.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I run the Thule T2. Works great for me.
    And I thought you just ride a wheelie out the front door and keep on goin'!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Kuat Transfer 2 with 2 fatties. 4.7 inch tires on one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tartis99 View Post
    Kuat Transfer 2 with 2 fatties. 4.7 inch tires on one.

You have to double up on the wheel straps, and I lean the larger tire bike a little to get the bar over the front wheel. It will then sit up right.

All fat, all the time.
    It's worth noting the 1up is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty....

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for all the ideas...I'll have to figure out which will work best for me
    I might have to get another fat bike because my 16 yr old daughter is having fun on mine right now

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Same with Saris.
    That's good to know! Have a Saris bone rack for the wife's car, is been great.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    And I thought you just ride a wheelie out the front door and keep on goin'!!
    Hopefully, I'll be able to do that soon. Looking to buy a house near some trails.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thule does the job for our two fat bikes

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Hopefully, I'll be able to do that soon. Looking to buy a house near some trails.

Ride in, ride out property or it's a deal breaker!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have been very happy with my 1 up.

mtbr member
    1up is a great rack...
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

rth009
    May 2010
    But don't you need separate lock with 1up? Does 1up even lock to the vehicle?

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    But don't you need separate lock with 1up? Does 1up even lock to the vehicle?
    It has a security Allen wrench that holds it in. You can also add a padlock to block access to the bolt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just ordered a new hitch bar to retrofit the new style onto my existing rack.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-bar-lock/

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    just got the 1up, after closely looking at thule and kuat. 1up ALL metal, built like a tank and super easy to use! two bars hold tires vs one bar and strap on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    Just got my first fat bike and I figured out my hitch doesn't work with the 4.7 inch tires.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have a swagman quad 2 plus 2 hitch rack, and I just bought a second set of wheel trays for it.

It has been a solid rack for me, but it is nowhere near as nice as the kuat - but the swagman is about half the price here in Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    make one. ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-img_7388-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    make one. ;-)
    Nice. How do you strap the bike down?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    Thanks.
    I have the same 2016 SE F@R Fat Bike as you. Just purchased it a few weeks ago and looking for a hitch rack for my Jeep Rubicon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    1 up here for me. Very happy with this rack and the fat bike spacer kit.

what the quan?!
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-fatterracker.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    It's worth noting the 1up is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty....
    It is difficult for me to support a company that doesn't offer free shipping until you spend $529 with them. It's 2017. Super nitpicky and I am kind of a dick, but still.

Racks are really nice though.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Another vote for the Superclamp. My GF and I haul around all of our bikes on it including two Farleys. We just leave the fat trays on all the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Another plug for the Sawgman XTC 2 with the fat bike trays. Had it for a few years now and it's great for the price! Will fit 4.7 tires I found (just) and it's very easy/convenient to load and unload the bike (very secure while driving highway speeds).

I would recommend wrapping your brake rotors and cassette in some plastic garbage bags during the winter though to fend off the salt that tends to kick up into that area from the rear car tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hollywood Trailrider with fat bike trays is a durable and inexpensive option, very happy with mine.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    It is difficult for me to support a company that doesn't offer free shipping until you spend $529 with them. It's 2017. Super nitpicky and I am kind of a dick, but still.

Racks are really nice though.
    Well, they aren't amazon....Somebody has to pay for shipping, so either you give a discount to folks that spend a lot, or you make everyone pay a bit more included in the price, then give "free shipping".

The way this rack is built, it very well could be the last one I ever have to buy. More than I can say about the thule sidearms that are rusting from the inside, and I just had to replace all the hardware.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    1UP all the way. I've been through many many racks and this is the last one I'll buy. Holds fats, +sizes, road bikes all with ease. Super easy to take on and off as well and I really like the secure allen key to attach the rack. Also, folds up nicely when you need to store it (which now that I have fat bikes is almost never!).

a2b
    that made me really dizzy
    Apr 2007
    Is there any adapter or attachment for the yakima "hold up" hitch rack I already have? How about adapter for rear fat tire on yakima "copperhead" roof tray?

mtbr member
    I priced out the 1up and it is close to $600. Just too much.

Looking at the Thule T2 Classic. $400, holds fat bikes stock, locks to the hitch stock, seems to get reviewed favorably all the time.

Was looking at the Kuat Transfer, but would have to add accessories to match the functionality of the T2.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I priced out the 1up and it is close to $600. Just too much.

Looking at the Thule T2 Classic. $400, holds fat bikes stock, locks to the hitch stock, seems to get reviewed favorably all the time.

Was looking at the Kuat Transfer, but would have to add accessories to match the functionality of the T2.
    Then in a few years you can replace all the hardware and repaint when the rust starts

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This Sitkka 2 Bike Carrier- Swagman will start shipping in early April, there is also a 3 bike version. $299 and $425 so very competitively priced and it's a wheel holder so no frame contact at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    after about 4-5 months w 1up, could not be happier w 2" hitch and fatbike adapter! locks easy and securely to hitch, and bonus is how quick to take fatbike on/off. yes pricier than Thule, but as other have said NO PARTS TO RUST or PLASTIC TO SNAP. very happy!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Then in a few years you can replace all the hardware and repaint when the rust starts
    I've had it since 2005, seems to be doing just fine. If I had to buy a new one I'd probably buy something lighter, but damn if it doesn't just keep on going and it works good enough that there's no reason to junk it until it actually is junk.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I've had it since 2005, seems to be doing just fine. If I had to buy a new one I'd probably buy something lighter, but damn if it doesn't just keep on going and it works good enough that there's no reason to junk it until it actually is junk.
    Well I will be slightly different to the norm and say that if you want the sturdiest rack that really stands the test of time and rough roads get one of these:

iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems

I got one and its everything I was looking for.
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-p9220137.jpgHitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-img_7291.jpgHitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-img_7279.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    This Sitkka 2 Bike Carrier- Swagman will start shipping in early April, there is also a 3 bike version. $299 and $425 so very competitively priced and it's a wheel holder so no frame contact at all.
    I Like this one too, not sure if I will be able to wait until April though.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    +1 for the 1UP. Got the fat spacer kit and it's bomber. The rack could survive a nuclear holocaust. Finest bit of kit I have seen in a long while. Buy quality, cry once...

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I did not see anyone suggest the North Shore rack.

No adapter needed.
    The only thing this bike needs an adapter for is a road bike.
    But you have to design it yourself however........but I know I saw one once but never got a look how they did it.

Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-img_0967.jpg
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    FWIW, I got some experience with a Thule T2 Classic (older model I think) this Saturday. Buddy has one and he hauled us and our fat bikes down for a fat bike race. Seems very sturdy, held two fat bikes no problem, easy to use. He has an add-on for two more, said that works well too.

This is one I am considering.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I own the iSi and love it

mtbr member
    Update, I went with the Thule T2 Classic. Went on to the 1.25 hitch with a little grease, it was tight!

My fat bike mounted up super easy, feels secure. Haven't driven yet with a bike on the back, but I will do so today and report back.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Newer Thule T2 rack with add-on in a 2" hitch. Fairly sturdy.

Caution - if you run a big-volume 4.8" front tire like a Bud the swing arm will struggle to clear it and it will barely sit into the tray receiver.

God help you even more if you need to stud it. You'll have to air down to like 2 psi just to load the bike for a trip. PITA.

It's like this rack was really designed for 4.0 to 4.6" max. Main reason I never got serious about Vee 2 XXL.

mtbr member
    Update: first usage was this weekend for the Fat Bike Birkie (about four hours total hauling the bike). It worked great. Bounced a real little bit on the highway, hit some rough road in the parking lot and it stayed put. Overall I feel really good about this rack.

Saw a few 1Up racks, got a little jealous, but that's just too much coin for me to justify.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Newer Thule T2 rack with add-on in a 2" hitch. Fairly sturdy.

Caution - if you run a big-volume 4.8" front tire like a Bud the swing arm will struggle to clear it and it will barely sit into the tray receiver.

God help you even more if you need to stud it. You'll have to air down to like 2 psi just to load the bike for a trip. PITA.

It's like this rack was really designed for 4.0 to 4.6" max. Main reason I never got serious about Vee 2 XXL.
    I've got Bud & Lou on my Fatboy and bought a Thule T2 Classic about a month ago. After I mount the bike in the tray, I lean it backward toward the car, then bring the swing arm up to about where I want it. Then I can pull the bike back into the upright position, and there's enough space to easily clear the tire with the swing arm. I click it down to compress the swing arm over the tire a bit, secure the back wheel strap, and I'm good to go. Maybe this would work for you, too (I hope)!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I put my road bike on the 1 up for the first time a few weeks ago. It's perfect for that too. I agree that a 1 up is expensive but I had a bike fall off of different rack at 70mph. The price of a 1 up was worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    +1 for the 1UP. Got the fat spacer kit and it's bomber. The rack could survive a nuclear holocaust. Finest bit of kit I have seen in a long while. Buy quality, cry once...
    ... in my case, I just cannot fathom how a bike rack is going to be more expensive than the bike it will hold.

sluice box
    I sold my T2 with 4-place fat trays used for $300, I had way more into it than that but I'm glad it is gone. I just need to find a dealer for 1up in Alaska now.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    ... in my case, I just cannot fathom how a bike rack is going to be more expensive than the bike it will hold.

I'm in this spot, but after the first rack I had snapping clips and straps I now trail both of my Mongoose fatbikes with a $700 anodized black 1UP 2" hitch mounted rack.

It should last longer than the bikes so I'm happy

mtbr member
    I like this one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-screenshot_2017-04-18-10-42-01.jpg  

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Have a 2 bike SportsRack Crest (similar to Hollywood and Nashbar) that used on my skinny bikes with no problems, when got the fat problems started.

Name:  rack.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  18.3 KB

The wider tire didn't fit the wheel holders so used bungee cords to keep the wheels in check, last Saturday a bungee failed while doing 70mph on the highway. The bike fell, lucky for me noticed immediately and the only damage was to the saddle, grips and stem. The asphalt grinded those parts and the rest of the bike survived the ordeal with extra no damage.

The immediate fix was to get some straps to keep things nice and tight but the real solution was to purchase the fat bike holders which I did and are on they way.

Pics of the damage:
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-saddle.jpg
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-left-grip.jpgHitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-right-grip.jpg

It was a hard lesson to take but will never trust bungee cords to hold my bikes regardless of the price and the moral of this story is to "invest" on a rack that will hold your bikes securely and price is secondary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    Have one fail, and then be out the cost of the rack, plus the cost of the bike. Like I said, buy quality, cry once. YMMV.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I see that Kuat has NV 2 out that is fully fat compatible. I've got the NV version 1 that has served me well for the last few years. Considered the 1Up, but liked the features on the NV a bit more (although I'd been happy with 1Up as well). Mine will haul a fat bike well enough but new ones seem much better.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Have a 2 bike SportsRack Crest (similar to Hollywood and Nashbar) that used on my skinny bikes with no problems, when got the fat problems started.

Name:  rack.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  18.3 KB

The wider tire didn't fit the wheel holders so used bungee cords to keep the wheels in check, last Saturday a bungee failed while doing 70mph on the highway. The bike fell, lucky for me noticed immediately and the only damage was to the saddle, grips and stem. The asphalt grinded those parts and the rest of the bike survived the ordeal with extra no damage.

The immediate fix was to get some straps to keep things nice and tight but the real solution was to purchase the fat bike holders which I did and are on they way.

Pics of the damage:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saddle.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	1132476
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left grip.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	1132474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right grip.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	1132475

It was a hard lesson to take but will never trust bungee cords to hold my bikes regardless of the price and the moral of this story is to "invest" on a rack that will hold your bikes securely and price is secondary.
    Hey, your bike is a little lighter now

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Kuat is not that great, aluminum hinge points tend to wear quickly, at that price point you are a small step from buying a 1up.

Don't compromise, 1up is the best you can buy, it will outlast your bike and your vehicle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well, after purchasing trek farley EX 8's for my wife and me, I find I too am looking for a good bike rack. Really like the 1UP, and started to place the order, but free shipping is not extended to Alaska, and at $250 to ship, that just puts it off the list. The short list is now Kuat NV 2.0, Thule T2 XT, or Yakima DrTray--all available at my local REI or shipped to REI free.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    Well, after purchasing trek farley EX 8's for my wife and me, I find I too am looking for a good bike rack. Really like the 1UP, and started to place the order, but free shipping is not extended to Alaska, and at $250 to ship, that just puts it off the list. The short list is now Kuat NV 2.0, Thule T2 XT, or Yakima DrTray--all available at my local REI or shipped to REI free.
    That's steep shipping, I'd call em to clarify, I'm sure they'd deal to make.a customer and spread the word. I've alwsys had great customet support from 1up, they send parts, odd set ups (tandem), very responsive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Like Jayem, My T2 is more than 10 years old and I keep it on my on my truck full time so it sees plenty of weather. When I got my first fatbike I just bought some new wheel trays and it was good to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I emailed inquiring about the shipping, but yes a phone call is in order…will call tomorrow and report back in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Kuat is not that great, aluminum hinge points tend to wear quickly, at that price point you are a small step from buying a 1up.

Don't compromise, 1up is the best you can buy, it will outlast your bike and your vehicle.
    Source? I've not heard of this issue and certainly not experienced it personally, nor mentioned by any of the people I know with these racks. (Aren't 1Up also aluminum?)

I do know the customer service is top notch, especially considering I bought mine through REI, any defect will be quickly addressed. I also like the fact I can just drop it at REI for warranty issues rather than having to mail it. Granted I've not ever heard of issues with either 1Up or Kuat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    And after a telephone call--shipping is what shipping is on the website--$220

---$566 in parts, $220 to ship--just not going to happen.
    Off to REI over lunch today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Funny how these journeys can turn out--
    1. Buy new fat bikes, need new rack to carry them
    2. Research out choices, make list in order of preference
    3. Number one choice--shipping is cost prohibitive
    4. Yakima Dr. Tray was choice 2--REI had the rack on display--distance between bikes was the best of the choices, and while it may very well have been an assembly issue, I had a lot of trouble with the latch mechanism to raise/lower the rack. At first, I thought they had locked it out somehow to keep folks from playing with it. Sometimes I could get it to release, other times not--so, off the list.
    5. Went with the Kuat NV 2.0

I am fortunate that many of my rides are simply out the front door (1/2 mile to the trails), but we have started driving to more destinations to ride. I put in each year for the Denali road lottery--got selected one year--next time we get selected we want to take the bikes and ride (weather permitting).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What am I missing? I just picked up a T2. I have a Fatboy w/4" Jumbo Jims and an ICT w/Bud and Lou. Even my hardtail 29er doesn't rack easily. I have to lower the front well below the wheel tray to get the arm over the wheel on the Fatboy. On the ICT, I'm not confident that it will hold. Seems to me if the arm were 4" longer, it would work great. I went to the local steel house and bought a length of 7/8" tube for under $3. Sadly, nobody in my town can bend 7/8" tube. 3/4" and 1" all day, but not 7/8". By design, I'm sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well that bites--Can you return the rack and try for something that will work for you? The Faley EX 8's (full suspension 27.5 fat) are fitting well on the Kuat NV 2.0--took them out tonight to ride the coastal trail--still lots of snow, slush.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Been running the Kuat NV fir a while. I commonly have 4 bikes on it and no issues like a poster alluded to above. it is a quality rack & great customer service.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    Funny how these journeys can turn out--
    1. Buy new fat bikes, need new rack to carry them
    2. Research out choices, make list in order of preference
    3. Number one choice--shipping is cost prohibitive
    4. Yakima Dr. Tray was choice 2--REI had the rack on display--distance between bikes was the best of the choices, and while it may very well have been an assembly issue, I had a lot of trouble with the latch mechanism to raise/lower the rack. At first, I thought they had locked it out somehow to keep folks from playing with it. Sometimes I could get it to release, other times not--so, off the list.
    5. Went with the Kuat NV 2.0

I am fortunate that many of my rides are simply out the front door (1/2 mile to the trails), but we have started driving to more destinations to ride. I put in each year for the Denali road lottery--got selected one year--next time we get selected we want to take the bikes and ride (weather permitting).
    I got a deal on a DR Tray, It will be here Monday. If it doesn't work well for the DD and the Flume I'm sure it will handle a pair of carbon road bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    Been running the Kuat NV fir a while. I commonly have 4 bikes on it and no issues like a poster alluded to above. it is a quality rack & great customer service.
    Kuat is not a terrible rack, tubular sluminum, plastic attachments, shiny finush, it's certainly a step above Thule and Yakima in quality as well as price, but also a step below 1up.

I've had so many racks, built my iwn racks, modified factory racks, it's been a huge waste of money over the years until I got a 1up.

You will not find a 1up owner with a rack complaint, the system is perfect... the only thing that would make it better would be self loading/unloading

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

You will not find a 1up owner with a rack complaint, the system is perfect... the only thing that would make it better would be self loading/unloading
    I know of a few folks that 'complained' about the 1UP hex expansion bolt, lack of hitch pin & the Velcro safety strap provided.

I won't argue that 1Up is not an great rack. But the market provides multiple options fir different consumers.

What you feel is subpar, someone else may like & vise-versa. Complaints are commonly opinions & should be treated as such.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aminkman View Post
    What am I missing? I just picked up a T2. I have a Fatboy w/4" Jumbo Jims and an ICT w/Bud and Lou. Even my hardtail 29er doesn't rack easily. I have to lower the front well below the wheel tray to get the arm over the wheel on the Fatboy. On the ICT, I'm not confident that it will hold. Seems to me if the arm were 4" longer, it would work great. I went to the local steel house and bought a length of 7/8" tube for under $3. Sadly, nobody in my town can bend 7/8" tube. 3/4" and 1" all day, but not 7/8". By design, I'm sure.
    It is a bit of a pain to put the arm over ft bike tires on the T2 but not too bad. I just put the front and back wheels in the wheel trays, lean the bike away from the arm, lift the arm up to the desired spot, stand the bike up straight and lower the arm on the the tire. Just drove from Phoenix to Durango and back and the 10 year old T-2 held at 4" mammoth tires just fine ...but I know that Bud and Lou's are much bigger so I can see that may be a concern.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    1up USA with fat tire spacers will accommodate bikes with up to 4.9" tires, even 29" if it is ever made.
    I tried Yakima, Thule, and Hollywood before, and IMHO this is the best platform rack, especially for carbon frame. Can be overkill price-wise for aluminum though because you can find much cheaper options with frame clamps.
    Very convenient, unbelievable fast to install and uninstall both rack, add-on, and bikes, no rust (100% aluminum with stainless steel hardware).
    I use it with any combination of 4 out of our 5 bikes (29+/17.5, 29/17.5, 27.5/15.5, 27.5/13.5, 24), and it works great thanks to the tiered layout where the further the platform from the car - the higher it is placed.
    I also use the keyed anti-theft security tool provided by 1up USA, it installs also in seconds. 1up offered free rack replacement in the past if rack is stolen, but not anymore :-(
    The only issue: the rack may hide the license plate when in 'up' position which is traffic rules violation in many if not all states (but police very rarely bothers so far, and it is so fast to install, just seconds, that I just remove the rack when not needed and store it in garage, especially considering that the rack will be ruined if some moron hits your car back). 1up USA website provides blueprints with detailed dimensions which matched my measurements. You can verify how the rack plays with your car license plate before buying. Mine (partially) hides the plate only with add-on; I bought an additional license plate holder to play safe.
    Here are pictures to illustrate the license plate issue:
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170422_113743%5B1%5D.jpgHitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170422_113917%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Kosulin, can you show the rack loaded with bikes? This is the exact set-up I'm thinking about. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Here it is with tricky load of 4 bikes, all different size: 29+/17.5, 27.5/15.5, 27.5/13.5, 24.
    The challenge is, the bigger and heavier bike should be loaded closer to the car which means the smaller the bike, the higher the platform it is put onto. It negates the raised platform effect, but can be offset by lowering the saddle with quick release if needed. By the way, when I carry only 2 bikes, I usually place both facing same direction with slight offset to allow for handlebar clearance.
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170422_161850.jpgHitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170422_161904.jpgHitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-3.jpgHitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170422_161948.jpgHitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170422_162009.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks, K. Did you have to upgrade your suspension!? Ha, ha..
    Can you post a pic of the receiver and how it's locked in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This is Hidden Hitch Receiver, identical to Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver. Hard to show this in photo. Just insert the rack as deep as you can without touchng the rear bumper (the ball should be in at least 2"), and tighten the bolt inside the rack using provided security allen key, usually 1 or 2 turns, to fully lock the rack inside receiver. Strap with provided velcro to the receiver eyelet for added security. That's it. If you bought the keyed theft protector - insert it and turn until fully locked. It prevents a thief from untightening the bolt. Enjoy.
    Last edited by kosulin; 04-23-2017 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    No need to upgrade suspension. 200 lbs, considering that trunk load is light, and that my family is not obese, is not much load for rear end.

Here are pictures of lock I use (the shaft is slightly bent but still strong after it accidentally hit a curb):
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170729_185920.jpg
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170729_190012.jpg
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170729_185942.jpg
    Hitch mounted bike rack for fat bikes-20170729_185831.jpg