mtbr member
    Sep 2010

High Volume Low Pressure Pump

What pumps are people using while out riding?

Topeak Mountain Morph and Lezyne Micro Floor Drive both appear to be well received.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have one of the Zefal HPX frame pumps. They have 4 models to fit different frame sizes. Mounts under the top-tube. I haven't had to use it out on the road yet, so I don't have any in-extremis reports... but I've used it at home to make sure I know how. Works with Presta or Schraeder (reversable bits inside the head).

mtbr member
    After 2 winters and a half dozen beachrides on the fatbike, I have yet to get a flat and typically only let air out if needed and don't bother to air back up mid-ride. I carry around a Lezyne HV (high volume) pump anyhow. Not sure that I've actually used it on this bike, but it does work and has the nifty hose attachment. But since I have needed to use it so infrequently, I'd say the pump model does not need to be a priority in most fatbikers' budgets.

Fat & Single
    Lezyne HV alloy drive 170mm/220mm on recommendation from the guys on here. Heres the thread

I bought the smaller size (170mm) then bought the bigger one after a few flats. I now have the smaller one taped to a 29er tube and the bigger size pump taped to a fat tube, I grab either one depending on which bike im riding.

Riding on dirt I used to get a few flats but not anymore now im fat tubeless, definitely get the longer sized one as it makes the job a lot easier.... I reckon I was into a co2 cartridge and 1000-1500 pumps to get a 4.8 Bud back up to riding pressure with the small one
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've used Mountain Morphs for about 10 years...well, only two actually, and one broke because I fell hard on it, it was a hard enough fall that where it hit my back was numb for months after, so it wasn't the pumps fault. The mountain morph pumps a good amount of air with each shot, it also functions like a mini-floor pump. There's little not to like. It obviously takes up more space, but that's what a high volume pump is going to do. Most of the time when people had flats they always wanted to borrow my pump rather than fiddle with their almost useless micro-pumps.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    any micro pump can pump up the fat tires.. no need for a special pump...

Fat & Single
    Absolutely correct.... but how hard do you want to make it ?
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Have you ever looked for the hole in a fat tube with a micro pump ? It just doesn't work, the air escapes quicker than you can pump.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The op made it sound like he assumed a special pump is required.. I was just indicating it's not. Level of difficultymis subjective to each person.. I have a very basic pump... And after getting used to pumping up large volume, it works just fine...

Fat & Single
    He asked what we are using as a HV pump. Not "any" pump or he would just have went to the LBS and bought one.

There's no special pump required but he's looking for the best HV pump.... so we are pointing him in the direction we went.

Again... have you looked for a hole in a fat-tube with your micro pump ?
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Dr Gadget is IN
    Since I live in thorn country, I have had the opportunity to use my pumps. I have both the Topeak Turbo Morph (mt morph with a flip out guage) and a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV. Both pumps work ok for fatties, but I am reminded of pumping up 29x2.4 with a Crank Bros Power Pump - many, many strokes.

The real difference in pumping up fatties - is that it never gets hard to push the pump down! Even going up to 30 psi on a "skinny" tire gets difficult as you reach target pressure, but 10psi is easy/squeasy. The Lezyne Dezyne is simple enough, I have considered making a larger diameter base/piston/cylinder and cannibalizing the rest of the parts - and get something that doesn't take 200 strokes to inflate a 26x4.8!
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    I purchased a new pump last winter after being out on a ride and letting out a ton of air from my tires. I then found out that my pumps rubber gasket things got too hard in the cold to work properly and I could not add more air. I now have the lezyne high volume micro floor drive and love it. It is a work of art really. My other micro pumps seem like cheap little plastic toys compared to it. I also like that it can be used like a floor pump. Better ergonomics for lots of pumping and easier on the valve stem. Be sure to get the HV version.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Short vid of the above: Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV - YouTube

NMBP
    So does anyone know what the pressure range is on the inline pressure gauge that comes with the more expensive Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV?
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Specs say it pumps up to 90psi., so I'd guess it would be hard to tell 10 from 12psi on that gauge. 205g or 225g with gauge.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Lezyne Pen Gauge

High Volume Low Pressure Pump-6f43b5263fbba79c5962514b85d34738_l.jpg

MAX : 120psi | 8.3bar
    size : 195mm
    weight : 28g

With max 120, the first mark is probably 10 or 20 - and the accuracy is probably +/-5psi. Not Fatbike compatible.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Specs say it pumps up to 90psi., so I'd guess it would be hard to tell 10 from 12psi on that gauge. 205g or 225g with gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Lezyne Pen Gauge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6f43b5263fbba79c5962514b85d34738_L.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	804240

MAX : 120psi | 8.3bar
    size : 195mm
    weight : 28g

With max 120, the first mark is probably 10 or 20 - and the accuracy is probably +/-5psi. Not Fatbike compatible.
    Thanks, I'll just stick to their pump without the gauge. I wouldn't want to have to wear my Optivisor so that I can see the 5psi mark.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Lezyne. It is great.. On the group rides it is the one asked for and everyone carries some kind of pump or co2. It just plain works