Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

HELP US CHOOSE. We are down to the Mukluk2 and 9zero7. PLEASE HELP

My wife and I are getting 2 fat bikes. We borrowed a few fat bikes yesterday and realized the Necro would need to be a small, too high stand-over. We liked the Muk3 but it was in a big frame and pretty heavy so we couldn't tell for sure but liked the ride position. Oh, we live in Lake Tahoe.

I think we both felt we should spend a little more and get a slightly upgraded groupo and wheels. I would say both my wife and I really liked the 907 but it was a pretty trick build. We would have to go with the basic Susitna. It felt a bit stretched out on the top tube but had lots for clearance for when we pop through the snow!

So we are trying to decide, prices come out pretty close. We can get 2 Muk's, 2 907's or one of each and swap. Both my wife and I are the same height 5'9".

Thanks much for help and advice, we are ready to pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No Fatback in the mix? I prefer they're Geo for true floatation riding. USA made too...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Go with the Muk 2, you will love them.

mtbr member
    Same height? I would go with one of each. You'll be able to basically test ride your own bikes and gravitate towards whichever one you each like best. Like the same ride? Well, at least you were able to decide by riding for a while. What if you had bought 2 of the other one and never knew you both liked the one not purchased better?
    To me, buying one of each is win-win. You might both happen to like opposite ones for a certain reason(sweet!)and if you both like the same one....sell the one less chosen and buy a second of the one you both rode more often. Fatties have high resale value, especially where you live.
    I have a small pugs and am 5'3". SO is tight, in snow, I basically know I need to fall towards the side. But being short all my life, that's a given with most bikes, I don't even think about it. And it certainly didn't stop me from buying a pugs!
    The 9 zero 7 is gonna give you more SO with that woopty oop TT. A muk is gonna be more traditional for TT, so you won't get the extra "beans and franks" room.
    Both are great rides though, can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Go with the Muk 2, you will love them.
    Muk 2 has my vote 2!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I guess we didn't consider the Fatback since we couldn't try one and was afraid to buy without riding? Any idea on the stand-over height? We are 5'9" I am thinking that would be a 16' for us. Probably not a big deal, I am not sure how the 70mm rims compare to the HolyDarryl's? Also, the site doesn't show steer tube angles, trying to figure out how it will ride? Slack ride or not?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think the "extra beans and frank" room was what we liked about the 907. We didn't give the Muk a fair shake since we were only able to ride the Large, which was, you guessed it LARGE!

I like the one of each idea myself. My wife really likes the look of the Muk and she has slightly longer legs and no boy parts. My best guess is if we went that route I would end up on the 907 and the wife on the Muk2 (most of the time).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just bought a 907 to replace the Muk 2. Super happy so far. A better quality frame. Lighter too. It has longer chainstays which is the biggest difference I see with the 907-this should make it more stable in snow and sand. I should finish the build today, will try to post back with first impressions.

Bad cat!
    If you think you might want to play around with singlespeed, or might want to mess with different wheel/tire combos the alternator dropouts on the Muk would be your friend. Both ride plenty nice (I have a Muk set up for winter and the 907 for dirt)...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Let us know how the 907 shakes out for you. On our own I think my wife and I have landed on the 907 based mainly on stand over height, value for the $, weight, lack of offset and parts available. I am sure we would be happy with either bike.

We have single speeds in the quiver already so that's not very important.

Getting close, we are ready to pull the trigger, we just need a shop that can make it happen. I think we have two that can pull it off, just waiting to hear back. Hope to plot down a credit card today to get something going. Seems that each shop is missing one critical piece, such as a fork or wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I see montana likes the muk for the snow and the 907 for dirt. Here in the Midwest I would set the Muk up for the dirt because it handles faster on our singletrack. I prefer the slightly more relaxed ride of the 907 for the snow/ice. After just a few little spins on the 907 I am liking it better than the Muk2 because it is more comfortable and just over 1/2# lighter. It's also alot better looking!! :.))

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ride the Muk 2 but most of the folks I ride with ride Fatbacks or 907's. You can't go wrong with any of them, it's just about what feels best under you. Part of the reason I went with the Muk is because I like the guys at that bike shop so well, thats something you should consider too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    We will be riding both snow and dirt. I do have a Superfly 100 XX for dirt and a single speed and my wife has a Cannondale rize so these would be for winter, spring fall, and for me to ride with super slow friends! We want fat bikes NOW.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Unfortunately we have no dealers of any of the bikes we are interested even remotely nearby. Living in Tahoe I am surprised there aren't shops that sell them. Seems like the perfect place with the most potential Buyers! It's really hurting that most companies will not allow their bikes to be shipped. I am finding dealers that want to unload inventory and ready willing and able buyers such as myself trying to buy. Kind of a lose lose right now. If the bike companies made some allowance to ship if there is no shop within 150 miles that has product it can be shipped from somewhere else.

Laramie, Wyoming
    What, no moonie in the mix?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I feel your pain. That's how I ended up with the Muk2. Nothing else local. I did get in on the first shipment of ON ONE Fatty's. They are great, but I needed another bike because my girlfriend appropriated it. The semi-local shop is really great but they just handle Salsa. The problem was a technical issue with the Muk and Salsa was absolutely NOT INTERESTED in talking about it. Two different techs at salsa. One was just a bit smoother than the other, but the same answer from both. Very disappointing. Hence the 907. Very happy. Best of luck in your quest!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    We dig the Moonie too, a little specific with the massive tires and we can only find 18" bikes available, based on the high stand over height we would need 16" bikes. Nobody can ship complete bikes.

mtbr member
    I bought a '12 Muk 2 back in December of 2011. My first Salsa bike ever. Since then we now have an El Mar and another Muk 2 (2013). I love the quality of bike they produce. Not the cheapest, not the best. Just a great quality product for the price.
    All my Salsa love aside, I really like Surly, 907 and Fatback... all great stuff. I've ridden each of their fat bikes. While they all felt good, the Muk just fit me better (keyword being 'ME'). So my point is that you should either find a dealer or a buddy that has one you can ride to see which bike is for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bacons,

Agreed, that's the hard part, there are no bikes within hundreds of miles of here. We were able to borrow a friends 907 and a Muk3. We both loved the Muk3, obviously it felt a bit heavier than the custom 907. The only problem with the Muk2 is the stand over height. We punched through the snow a few times and it wasn't pretty, harder on me than the wife, the whole twigs and berries thing. For that reason alone we are gravitating towards the 907, plain and simply they fit us best.

mtbr member
    Sounds like your choice is clear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I guess your right, IT IS NOW CLEAR, took a bit to get our heads around it we were so fired up for bikes we just wanted the first ones we could get our hands on. Thanks everyone for the help, very appreciated. Ultimately we need to get the best fitting rides not the best looking rides. Though they are close.

mtbr member
    Far be it from me to question your fit, but I am 5' 9", and ride an 18" Pugsley. The Mukluk comes in a size 17" for medium, and Salsa recommends this size for riders 5' 6" to 6'. The 17" Mukluk standover is 29.32", while my Pugs has a standover of 31".

Again, hate to presume, but many newer cyclists seem to worry a lot about standover height, but it's not the most important part of bike fit, not even close. Fit in the cockpit is WAY more important.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Flat,
    I can't believe I agree 100% with someone called "FLAT" but I do agree. I know you are trying to help and I appreciate that. I can't say I qualify as a new cyclist, I am 40 and started mtn bike on on a Schwin High Sierra in the late 80's. I have ridden since owning everything from Specialized M2, Rockhopper, Pro-Flex (embarrassed to admit), Klein's, many SC bikes (superlight, Nomad) Ibis Mojo (one of my top two all time bikes), and current ride a Superfly 100 XX 29er carbon and a Litespeed ti single speed, and Wilier Cento1 road bike. I have raced the TransRockies and recently did a 300 mile road ride 25 hours straight on the saddle, don't need to every do that again!

The Pugs/Necker stand over is 31', as you say, both our inseams are about 30". Before I tried it we were ready to order the Black/Neck for both of us. When we rode different fat bikes in the snow and punched through a few times and I hit the twigs and berries when I put my foot down and sunk into the snow. The 907 Med (one of bikes we tried) have a standover in the mid 27' range, that's quite a spread from 31' Pugs. As far as the cockpit goes, they top tube is 23.7 of the 907 and 23.81 on the Muk, pretty close.

My wife has longer legs so we were going to get one 907 and one Muk2. This morning after sleeping on it AGAIN, she decided she wants a 907 as well. We will see how it shakes out, I don't think we can go wrong with any of the choices so it could come down to what is most available. Not sure if we have the patience to wait until mid summer. Per Surly, it sounds like June before they start getting new bikes in stock.

mtbr member
    Hey Truckeemtb, I checked your profile after posting. Guess I presumed incorrectly! Hope you enjoy your 907s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If standover height is a concern, You might want to check out the On-One Fatty. It has a lot of SO in all sizes, so if a medium fits better when on the saddle, you won't need to go for the small just for extra standover height. I have one, and it seems to be a great bike, especially for the price($1350). It is a 1x though, so if you like to climb a lot of steep stuff, you might count on getting another crank and a shifter and derailleur.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast