mtbr member
    May 2012

HELP! Specialized Fatboy Sizing L or XL?

I've decided to enter the world of fat bikes and have been trying to find a deal on something used. I have found a sweet deal on a fatboy but it is an XL. I'm 6'2" ish (maybe 6'1" and a half), long legs, shorter torso. I currently ride a Giant Anthem X29er which is a large and run a 90mm stem pointed 8 degrees down and 3/4 rise RF carbon 685mm bars. It is the best fit I have ever had on a bike. I previously rode a large 5" travel 26" wheel trance which felt squishy for some reason, as did my previous Norco Bigfoot HT which was an 18" frame. So, should I be worried that the fatboy in an XL will be too big or will it be doable? I have read a few things saying that the XL doesn't fit big and anyone over 6' should likely be on the XL because the L is actually just a 19" frame, which is on the smaller side compared to my 20 or 20.5? Anthem frame. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I have about three days until I'm driving through the place where the fatboy is located and can pick it up.

Loser
    The best way to confirm things is to compare the TT and ST length between your bike and the Fatboy. If you're using a 90mm stem on the large Giant, I suspect you'll be fine. I am 6' even with long legs and arms and I am pretty comfortable on a Large Fatboy, I'm running a 60mm riser stem (I think).

If this is a first run Fatboy, then you will likely have to change the stem anyway, as with the standard stem and bars the brake levers hit the top tube if the bars spin during a crash. At a minimum you'd want to raise the handlebars up to avoid that.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    FWIW, I ordered the XL without throwing a leg over it. I'm about the same build specs as you, 6'1", 34"+inseam, long arms. But I'm also sitting on 2 Specs in the stable. A Rockhopper SS in XXL and a Stumpy HT in XL. The spec sheet puts the XL's within a cm of each other (stock). On my shelf for the FB is a setback seatpost, seat and wider carbon bars, so I'm planning to match cockpits in the end. I hopped on a large Surly (2 actually) and felt cramped a month back. Take a look at the sheets and compare what you've got to the FB. I

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have compared and the FB is bigger according to the spec sheets, that's why I'm a bit worried. What I'm interested in is the reach, which neither of the manufacturers post a number for. I realize that can be changed with the stem, but I don't want to have to run a 40mm stem to be able to reach. Realistically, the numbers are all within a cm or so, so I imagine it wouldn't be too much of a stretch, but if I spend money I like to make sure it's right. Anybody else ride a L or XL fatboy and have experience? Thanks for the advice so far!

Loser
    If it's within 10mm and have a 90mm stem on the Giant, then you should be fine on the Fatboy with an 80mm stem. 10mm is not that much difference.

I went from a 90mm stem on a Medium RIP9 to a 60mm stem on a large RIP9, I did notice a difference in that the steering was much quicker with the 60mm stem (in a good way), but I'm not sure that would be as noticeable with only 10mm difference.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Comparing my current bike (L Anthem 29er) to the XL fatboy, here is what I have found:

Seat Tube Length Fatboy 533mm (21") to Anthem 508mm (20")
    Top Tube Length Fatboy 650mm to Anthem 635mm
    Stem Length Fatboy 70mm to Anthem 90mm

Based on these numbers it's obvious the XL Fatboy would be bigger-ish, but really close to my Anthem. With the shorter stem on the fatboy, I'm assuming the reach would almost be identical, and the seattube length really means nothing besides lowering the seat a bit maybe. I have the chance to ride the bike too to make sure, but I didn't want to waste the guys time if I wasn't sure it was a decent possibility it could work out. My last concern is if the top tube will be too high (standover), not necessarily on solid ground but when I'm putting my foot down in the snow come winter. FB is a good looking and well spec'd bike for the money, but I've also considered building a 190mm 907 from scratch, especially for the swooping top tube (aka nut saver). Thoughts?

FWIW, I can get the FB for about $800 less than they cost new with taxes and its been ridden a few times and comes with a rear rack. Hence the reason I'm so interested in making sure it could work, because its a good deal IMO.

Anybody here build up a 190mm bike for less than $2000 that's comparable to a FB spec wise (assuming you didn't have free components kicking around)?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Also looking at these numbers, I would almost think the lrg FB would be on the smallish side for me, which is what the guy selling it said as well (he's also 6'2" and recommends the XL, likely because its good for his sale though!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok your in luck! I have a giant trance X29er M and fits me perfect. When I bought my fatboy I went up to the Large and it fits me perfect! I am just under 6' and love the large fatboy. So if your happy on the trance Large and go up to XL on the FB you sould be perfectly happy. On a side note I also has a trance 26 with 5" travel and thought it felt squishy or kinda funny never got totally comfortable on that one. However the trance 29 is an awesome bike. But not even close to as much fun as a fatboy! I've ridden the trance 2-3 times since I got the FB about 3 months ago. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Oldgt; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've got the large fatboy, and I am 6.0 tall built a bit like an orangutan, long arms and legs, short back, the large feels fine if almost too small. My Camber is an XL and fits me well. although it is more for comfort than performance, I am pushing 60 years old and comfort is a big deal for me.
    Cheers,

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the post gents, I think I should be okay with the XL. Can't wait until Friday to pick her up!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think you will be good, the several sizes of fatboy's I rode seemed to be small, like buying a tee shirt from Vietnam.... Cheers,

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Guzzi Obrian View Post
    I think you will be good, the several sizes of fatboy's I rode seemed to be small, like buying a tee shirt from Vietnam.... Cheers,
    Well unfortunately the wife didn't approve of my purchase so I didn't pull the plug on the FB. However, I did end up finding the bike I really wanted (907 190mm) frame and fork only on sale for $599, so I got that and am now in the process of looking for parts to build it up before the snow flies. Gonna be sweet!