Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Help me make a decision!!!

So i posted this in general discussions but I think ill get more questions answered here,

Hey guys I've been in the market for a bike. I always use my buddy's hardtail specialized rock hopper and enjoy it so lately ive been looking for a good deal on a used 29er in the 500-700 dollar range and i stumbled upon a Surly Pugsley for 700... The more I research the pugsley the more i want one. Its a single speed but the previous owner added a white industries DOS freewheel. It also has Avid BB7 disc brakes, Salsa titanium skewers, Shimano mountain bike pedals plus Ergon PC2-L platform pedals, Mustache handlebar (i might change this) and 2" rise bar, and aSpecialized Avatar saddle (solid titanium rails).

The trails around where I live (north florida) arnt super hilly so i think the pug could handle them. It attracts me because A: it looks cool, B: lower maintenance than a 29er and C: i feel like i would have a fun experience riding it.

My questions to yall is:
    1: what kind of speed will I see on the pug? (i know it wont be as fast as a 29er just want to get a estimate)
    2: Is $700 a good deal on this bike? it looks pretty immaculate and well kept. Ive never spent this much on a bike so i dont want to get screwed.
    3: Would you go for the pug or a 29er?

Thanks for any help!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    1) 33.7 mph. Or as much speed as your crazy legs can crank out.
    2)That would be about the cheapest Pugs I've seen.
    3) Pugs. (But what would you expect asking that question on the fatbike forum>) Get it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    haha ya i figured #3 would get that response.
    Are you familiar with that freewheel?

Nuts
    I wouldn't get it if I were you, it's junk and slow. Oh btw do you have the sellers email I would like to contact him and tell him how terrible of a deal this is
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    haha ya ill give it to you after i go pick it up tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Get the pug. Florida trails. Does that mean sandy? If so pug even more. White makes the best freewheels out there. Thats cheap if the bike is in as good condition as you say. As for speed, how fast can you pedal and are you pointed up or down hill? I'm betting the smile on your face when you swing a leg over will be hard to resist

mtbr member

Help me make a decision!!!

Buy. Only concern is singlespeed, but in Florida, suffer it out. If its that bad, gear it up, not hard to do. buy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by desperado213 View Post
    haha ya i figured #3 would get that response.
    Are you familiar with that freewheel?
    White Industries makes nice stuff. I don't have a DOS, but I do have their Eno hub, SS freewheel, and crank on another bike.

Speaking of White, what color is the frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It has the white frame. I know they were known to crack behind the seat post but this one has the small angled tube welded in front of the seat post so I think it's a 2011 frame? And it was more of the 2010 that had problems I think. I asked the guy and he said that there was no sign of a crack but ill have to check and make sure.

And to vaultbrad most of the trails I ride are dirt with a little bit of sand here and there.

mtbr member
    That's among the problem frames, but so is mine and I've seen no issues. I check it every so often, but I don't obsess. You'll look for softer and more unusual places to ride. It's inevitable. I like the way fatties ride in the "typical" single track terrain too. Fat bikes just encourage adventure and riding off the beaten path.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ya I can't wait to get out on it. The guy wasn't aware there was a problem with the frames so when I told him to check for the crack he might of thought he would see some huge crack and not a hairline crack. If I do see a small hairline crack should I not buy it?

Nuts
    Ya I can't wait to get out on it. The guy wasn't aware there was a problem with the frames so when I told him to check for the crack he might of thought he would see some huge crack and not a hairline crack. If I do see a small hairline crack should I not buy it?
    If it's cracked and he is the original owner have him warrantee it. If he isn't talk him down a bunch and have it welded and re powder coated. Just my 2 cents of course.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Here's the cracked frame thread:
    Pugsley frame failure

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've read pretty much that whole thread. I saw how the one guy got a piece welded on his. I wonder how much that costs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You're going to love this. I just ordered singlespeed parts for my Pugs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just picked her up! I love it! The frame wasn't damaged so that's a plus. He also gave me a bag of extra parts. Like pedals, riser handlebar, a set of tubes, pump, and parts if I want to switch it over to gears (minus the derailer). The chain was a little rusty, what is good to clean the chain with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The chain was a little rusty, what is good to clean the chain with?
    Cola works for removing rust
    But i use Pedro's citrus stuff to clean the chain and then relub ofc, not that i let the chain get rust on it yet
    Just check if the chain links still move good and put good lubrication on it. When the links don't move freely then i would just get a new chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok thanks a lot! Ill post a couple pics later

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    have fun

mtbr member
    Yay for new bike day

mtbr member
    Just picked her up! I love it! The frame wasn't damaged so that's a plus. He also gave me a bag of extra parts. Like pedals, riser handlebar, a set of tubes, pump, and parts if I want to switch it over to gears (minus the derailer). The chain was a little rusty, what is good to clean the chain with?
    Sounds like a great deal! Replace the chain.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

addicted to chunk
    Nice, welcome to the club, you'll have a lot of fun on it
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ya ill probably replace the chain after I play around a bit. He gave me a brand new chain too.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Yay for new bike day
    I love New bike day followed closely by new bike part day with hair cut day coming in third. Congrats on the new ride op and keep us posted and remember pics or none of this ever happened.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well she just gave me my first problem hopefully it's not too bad... Sometimes it's hard to steer and the handle bars squeak and for one second the fork was like locked up. He said its sat for a while. So do you think it needs grease or new fork bearings? I'm not sure really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast