mtbr member

Idea! Help me keep the course... Boris vs. Pugsley

Low down, have a Boris on order to be delivered at the end of March, just discovered someone I know who is wanting to sell their Pugsley... for $800. Pugsley is a stock/stock bike.

Not taking into account the I want it now factor help me compare so I can either just wait for the Boris or help me change my mind and go for the Pugsley.

wheel offset doesnt seem to make too much of a difference overall, personal preference, both are BB7 brakes (my preference)

Boris-
    pro's as I see it-
    2x9 with a little deeper gearing
    maybe a little lighter
    looks different

cons-
    (may be a pro depending on who you ask) aluminum frame
    unknown commodity at this time but so far the other motobecanes have been fairly good quality.

Pugsley-
    pro-
    dirt simple
    known comodity
    (may be pro or con) steel frame

con-
    3x10 with higher gearing (Im a fat kid so need all the gearing I can get!) Would need to do some updating to get lower gearing
    heavier (maybe)

reguardless I would be changing the bars, seat most likely as well as pedals and tires.

Initial feeling is to hold out for the Boris but the Pugsley is a sweet ride as well.

Please help a brother out......

Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Tough call, but you should at least check out the Pugs. Three more advantages over the Boris:
    1.) better quality hubs
    2.) you can ride it before buying it.
    3.) it probably doesn't come with Vee Mission tires, which most people are going to replace very shortly for well over $100.

Drivetrains can be replaced and will wear out eventually anyway, and you should be able to get a 3x10 to the same gearing as the Boris for under $50.

mtbr member

Help me keep the course... Boris vs. Pugsley

Thanks for te input! Hadn't thought about the hubs!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    That's a tough call but I think I'd go take a look at the Pugsley and give it a good test ride. I've been wanting the Boris since they announced it and as much as I wanted it, the March delivery date was a real bummer. I ended up ordering a Minnesota 2.0 since winter would probably be over by the time the Boris showed up and I had all these friends having awesome Fat Bike rides while I debated what to do.

In the end the I want it now factor won out and I've been quite happy with my Minnesota purchase.

The Pugsley is also $100 cheaper so it will give you a bit of money to do a couple of upgrades if needed.

I'm sure the Boris will be an excellent bike if you end up waiting it out.
    Current bikes:

2014 Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fatbike
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member

I've ridden a pugs in the past which is what started this downward spiral of selling to buy a fat bike! I know I would enjoy it, I guess trying to justify going one way or the other.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    the pugs is a known quantity.
    the pugs is quality build , the boris is meh...
    you know that the pugs will be a sweet ride, boris' ride is unknown
    part of the fun of owning a fat bike is tricking it out and making it YOURS. it'd be easier with the pugs, and you'll have a few more $$ left over

most inportantly, you'll be riding now rather than waiting for an uncertain delivery time!!

i had a deposit down on the Fatboy, i pulled out after buying a moonie on ebay and have been riding a since Christmas. i'd still be waiting if i didn't, what a waste of a winter.

Best decision i've made, this has rekindled my love for just having fun!

just my pov, ymmv

dave
    spez roubaix
    fantom cross
    crux
    moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There's no right decision, so don't torment yourself too much. Both bikes have a lot going for them and no bike is perfect. Pick one, ride it, be happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Boris looks like a really nice bike but the pug is a classic. That is a great price on a used pug if it is in good shape. If the pug had marge lite rims, then I think it would be an easy choice. Surly did have some minor frame issues in the past with cracking near the seat tube. It wasn't enough of an issue to discourage me from buying one but there is something to be said for buying a new bike with a warranty. Ultimately, you can't go wrong with either so; buy the one that makes you more excited and let the practical side of your brain take a break.

mtbr member

Thanks for the input all. I still need to
    Check it out but if there is a little crack... I can weld steel... Not set up to weld aluminum...

Getting lowdown on te pugs now...

Last edited by Rcksqrl; 02-06-2014 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pugs............. you won't regret it. Love mine, I rode a few different bikes while in the decision making process and I kept coming back to the Pugs due to the way it felt. I won't buy a bike if I can't ride it first so that took the Moto and Framed out of the equation from the start for me though. For the record I bought a used Pug as well, 2012 parts on a 2013 frame (cracked frame replacement).

Laramie, Wyoming
    As long as the Pugs hasn't been abused, it will be the nicer bike and you don't have to wait.

mtbr member

Got more low down on the pugs. It's a older pugs which is slightly smaller than today's sizing so a smidge small. Thanks for everyone's advice and input on the matter! Looks like I'm holding tight for the Boris.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Perfect answer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    IMO the Boris is the steal of all the budget fatbikes. I ordered a small comp for the Mrs. for here birthday with intentions of following up with a 17" for myself, unfortunately procrastination left me bikeless so I locked in a Boris. Since then I have gone over ALL the available options and if I had it to do over again would have gotten a 15" Boris for the Mrs.