mtbr member

help me choose a tire

I'm building up my first fatbike and trying to figure out which tire would work best for me. I plan to use this thing primarily as a soft condition trail bike, and going where there is no trail. We get snow here, but snow is not a first priority for me, though it is a consideration. I don't have rims yet either, so options are open there as well. Also wondering if the 27 tpi tires would be more durable, as in puncture/cut resistance? Or just heavier (and cheaper)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

help me choose a tire

Many variables go into choosing a tire. Riding style has a big impact. Are there rocks? Roots? Much climbing? How soft is soft? If really soft go with a wide rim. I really like the Endo rear/ Larry front combo. They are hard to beat in terms of versatility. I have several tires and do switch them out quite often based on time of year and were I am riding. Not much snow here so not a priority in my choices either.

Quote Originally Posted by fourthree View Post
    I'm building up my first fatbike and trying to figure out which tire would work best for me. I plan to use this thing primarily as a soft condition trail bike, and going where there is no trail. We get snow here, but snow is not a first priority for me, though it is a consideration. I don't have rims yet either, so options are open there as well. Also wondering if the 27 tpi tires would be more durable, as in puncture/cut resistance? Or just heavier (and cheaper)?

I have a friend using the Knard's in all conditions... he used them throughout the winter and now in the spring on all conditions. He swears by them as a do it all tire.

mighty sailin' man
    A pair of each
    Seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Human Test Subject
    There are 9 million other threads about this same topic. Also you can Google things.

mtbr member
    I have experience with 65mm and 100mm rims and endomorph, bud, lou, husker du and larry and big fat larry. Of those I would ride 65 mm or rolling Daryls with a husker du as my do everything fat tire rim combo.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

Dinner for wolves
    The Larry is a decent all-rounder. I own Larry, Endo, Nate, and some 3" slicks only. My 120 tpi Larry differs from my 27 tpi larry by ~70gms. That is less than a 5% difference. So if money was a limiting factor, you could buy a pair of 27 tpi Larry's and feel like you are not missing a whole lot. That said, my UL Nates are both the lightest and the grippiest 3.8" tires I have. As a previous poster mentioned, there are so many variables to consider when choosing a suitable tire. Just jump in with both feet and see if what you end up with works for you.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I second the Husker Du as a great all-around tire.

Endo is finito, no?

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Seems to me that the Floater might be the best all-arounder. Price, traction, roll. Not sure about toughness or tread wear yet, as they are pretty new. This is only based on what I have read. You could read that stuff on this forum too. I will try the Floaters when I need tires. I have 120 HuDus and 27 Nates. The only thing that would keep me from saying HuDus (120TPI, which I own) is that they are known to wear somewhat rapidly on harder surfaces and they "seem" a little fragile in the casing. No problems for me yet, and they work very well, but...
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Did more searching after reading these posts, somehow I missed the Floater review, but that sounds like what I'm looking for. Leaning towards Marge Lites for rims, hoping to have better cornering at the expense of a minimal amount of float as opposed to say Rolling Darryls, or do I go for the float of a wider rim (which is what a fatbike is all about in the first place) at a minimal expense to handling? I dunno, just thinking out loud. Off to the search engine again...

addicted to chunk
    I recently switched front rim from rd to Marge lite, you get a slightly more round tire profile. So far i am happy with it. Def skinnier though, more than 1/4" difference in tire width.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It might be a better idea to start with what rim you are going to run, and then ask about tires. I have 47's, 63's and 80's, and the same tire acts very different on each.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    It might be a better idea to start with what rim you are going to run, and then ask about tires. I have 47's, 63's and 80's, and the same tire acts very different on each.
    which rims are 63's?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Marge Lites. I meant 65's. Either way, the rim width has a big effect on tire behavior.

mtbr member
    deuxdiesel, please elaborate! Very interested in how a given tire behaves on each.

mtbr member
    ^i'll jump in here. Previously I had a Knard/Floater on my Pugs with 82 mm rims. I moved them to Beargrease, which has 65 m rims. Using the same psi it feels like there is less self-steering (and the steering feels better overall, but I'm not sure how much BG's slacker head angle and lower center of gravity affects to that). Somehow it also feels that the same tyres absorb bumps better with narrower rims (maybe because of more rounded tire profile?).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The Knard is a small and round profile tire, so on a 47, it requires more pressure to keep it on the rim and to stop it from being squirrely- I have to run it about 12 psi on those rims, but I can go 9-10 psi on a Marge. On a Darryl, I can go a little lower psi, but the round profile of the tire doesn't seem to take advantage of the rim width. Something like a Nate or HuDu works well on a Darryl. Right now I'm running BFL's on Darryls, which allow me to go down to 6 or 7 psi for Summer trail riding. The high volume/low psi gives a huge contact patch, so I'm never lacking in traction or cush.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Marge Lites. I meant 65's. Either way, the rim width has a big effect on tire behavior.
    Ok, I just thought there might be a new rim available that's suitable for fat bikes, or one that I hadn't seen before. I did a lot of searching to try and find some light rims that don't cost as much as the Marge Lites.