mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Help me build a tubeless wheelset

Hi guys – so I posted in another thread that my Specialized rear hub died a few days ago. Big surprise, right?

So I bought a DT Swiss 350 rear hub thinking I would just re-lace it into the rear wheel. But now I'm thinking it might be a better idea to build up a completely new set of awesome tubeless wheels around this new rear hub.

So – this would need to be a 4-seasons set of wheels. They will mostly see use in snow but will definitely get ridden in rocky conditions also. So they must be durable. I would want them to be tubeless, of course, and lighter than the stock wheels on a Fatboy Expert.

I'm torn on carbon vs. aluminum. Not convinced about carbon durability but then I hear about sealing problems on [drilled/lightened] aluminum tubeless wheels.

So - I'd love to hear your suggestions – thanks!

Brandon

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    80 mm jackalope rims. Tubeless, yup. All the spokes nipple holes are covered with 2 wraps of 22 ( 25?) mm stans tape. Set up with a floor pump. Easy. For me, 80 mm is a 4 season best bet, unless you're set on 100's?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What is your budget?

For mostly snow, I would go at least 80mm rims like leeboh said. If not, 100mm.

I've heard good things about Jackalope, although I've never had them. How much do they weigh?

I really like the DT Swiss rims, but not really marketed as tubeless. Although I've set them up with fattystripper's with no issues. And rode them at 0-1psi last winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Rocky conditions changes things a bit. The only rims I've personally ridden and beat the hell out of in rocky conditions, are the Sun Mulefuts. Not the lightest, not the heaviest. Great tubeless compatibility. Hard to kill.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Not going to write a blank check but more interested in options than building to a budget. I'd like at least 90mm rims (like I have on the Fatboy I think). I'd want tubeless rims - not something else then doing a [ghetto] conversion of some sort.
    I hear Nextie has a good double-wall carbon 4 season tubeless rim....

mtbr member
    Have you considered a 27.5 80mm Jackelope rim?

Might make for an epic new ride.

This place needs an enema
    It's real hard to beat the overall package offered by the Jackalopes. Slightly heavier than MuleFut or DT's rim, but then once you add in strip/tape/shenanigans needed to seal the latter two reliably, the Jackalope comes out lighter.

And so much easier to set up tubeless than pretty much anything else out there. No fiddling, no hopping on one foot, no compressor needed -- just install tire and pump it up with whatever pump you have.

turtles make me hot
    I'm currently running My Other Brother Darryls on my bike. I totally love them. Light, strong and easy tubeless.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    DT Swiss on Jackalopes, 27.5 Barbes or Gnarwalls.

Fix the old wheel set and sell em.

Mike will build you a sweet set, I got mine from Mike and they are money!

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have DT Swiss BR710 rims. Easy tubeless and easy to change tires. No having to pry tires off with levers. Around 700 gm + tape. Got some abuse from rocks but they have been great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for the input guys.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Nextie 90mm double wall carbon rim. Wild Dragon (II)? I think it's called. Anybody hearing bad stuff recently about this model? I have a friend or two running them....so far so good.

Elitest thrill junkie
    How rocky is too rocky?

I've ridden in CO with my carbon rims and didn't think twice about it, in some pretty nasty terrain, but I'd question running carbon if I did endless runs up and down South Mountain, Goat Camp and some other choice locations in AZ.

90mm is very wide for "all around", it's going to expose a lot of carbon to potential danger. If you are going for a 4-season wheelset, I'd advise going with 65mm nexties or LB rims, which will allow a much wider variety of tires to be used where the rim won't be nearly as wide as the tire, or in some cases, the same. For this reason, I can't really run 3.8ish tires on my 90mm rims, I mean, I can, but it leaves me with no tire casing beyond the rim and that's unacceptable in rough and rocky terrain IMO. You don't run 30mm tires with 30mm wide rims, do you? Now, I love my 90mm carbon LB rims, I've raced and ran the hell out of them, but come summer time I shelve em and run my 65s. 65s work just fine in winter too, many people run them with 4.5-4.8 tires, but you won't have the big issue in the summer of the wide rim, otherwise, I'd suggest go for a summer wheelset and a 90mm or larger winter set.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Good points all.
    I went ahead and had the DT Swiss hub laced into the Fatboy SL rear wheel...so....that could be my summer wheelset. Still going to do a nice wheelset tho. Maybe shelve the the 4 season idea. That said...I don't plan to ride this bike nearly as much in summer. But it will see some dirt. Probably more flowy, less super rocky overall. In all likelihood I'll stick with the Mach 5.7 Carbon for the roughest trails. So yeah I guess I'm bending from what I was originally thinking....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am building up first fat bike used fatbou frame doesnt snow a ton here but want bike to be good when it does. Had very similar intent as yoi after a lot of research went with lithic rims and surly edna 4.3 tires. Seemed good bang for buck combo.