mtbr member

Help Build Fat Bike from Cídale Prophet

I really want a fat bike, but Iím on a budget. Iím thinking of using everything I can from my 2005 Cannondale Prophet. Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure:
    Help Build Fat Bike from Cídale Prophet-prophet.jpg

What I need is a fat tire frame. Iím thinking of ordering the On-One Fatty ďRolling Chassis BundleĒ for $725: On-One Fatty Rolling Chassis Bundle. That seems like a good deal considering what wheelsets and tires cost.

Here are my questions:

1. Are there better deals for a frame?
    2. What would I need to put my 2005 Lefty Max on it? Do I just need to order the clamps and lace the wheel to the Lefty hub?
    3. Will my TruVativ GIGA pipe SL BB fit on the frame? My standard Shimano 9-speed cassette (though I made it a 6-speed)? Brakes (dang, I donít know what I have)?
    4. How much could I get for my Prophet frame with the shock? Could I sell the On One Fatty fork for much?
    5. Am I missing anything? What problems do you foresee?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    1. Not really. For a real fat bike frame, fork, wheels and tires, that is a great deal.
    2. Yes, but check with Craig (MendonCyleSmith) to see if he has clamps. A true gentleman and scholar, he can answer all Lefty questions.
    3. Nope, too narrow, but if it is an ISIS crank, you can get a new 100 mm wide BB and use your crank.
    4. Not much, but if it is a medium, PM me Forks are cheap, maybe $100.
    5. As cool as your Prophet is, nine year old bikes have issues, and putting some of those parts on a new frame takes fiddling and some may be just worn out. The Fatty complete is reasonably affordable. You could sell your Prophet as is and offset the costs by quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Yes, you'll need clamps and to set it up in 29er mode... and the wheel built offset. I'd just send it to mending to let him put in PBR internals and set it up for you. You'll need a crankset, most come with bottom brackets. Everything else is just parts, cassette, brakes, yada yada yada should be fine. Seat post depends on size. On-one fork isn't going to be in super high demand, but someone may want it for a fat front.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    It might be worth checking out DrFeelyGood's modification to his full suspension bike. Now it's a full fat, and seeing as you already have a lefty, this may be the cheaper way to go.

The thread is somewhere on this forum.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I second Velobike's suggestion. Have someone fabricate you a new or heavily modified swing arm, throw some Profile cranks with lots and lots of spacers in that standard width BB shell!

I'd vote for the new swingarm route, you could switch back if you don't like it for summer use.

EDIT: soberly, it's probably more prudent and economical to go ahead with the Fatty chassis. But lots less fun.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. This is some good information.

deuxdiesel, I may hit up Craig to see how much the package would cost me. I do have ISIS cranks, so I could get a new BB. On-One sells their fork for $128 so maybe I could sell it for $75.

You are right about my Prophet being old. The BB is about worn out, so it's not bad that I would need another one. The good thing is that the brakes are in great shape. I got the bike just last year and the previous owner put them on. I don't know how old they are, but they seem quite new. The rear der. has some life left. I actually have a new cassette and shifter as well, so I'd be in good shape.

I don't want to sell my Prophet as is because I want the Lefty. I guess I could look at these two options:

a. Buy a full On-One for $1450
    b. Spend $220 + some to put the Lefty on
    c. Part out the rest of the Prophet for maybe $400
    d. Sell the On-One fork for $75
    Total out of pocket = $1195 +

a. Buy the On-One bundle for $725
    b. Spend $220 + some to put the Lefty on
    c. Buy a BB for $50 (I hope)
    d. Use the shifter, rear der, cassette, brakes, seat post (maybe), and maybe some other stuff from the Prophet
    e. Sell the Prophet frame and some leftovers for maybe $300
    f. Sell the On-One fork for $75
    Total out of pocket = $620 +

Of course, there are taxes to be paid and I don't know what it will cost beyond the clamps to get the Lefty on. Option 2 is looking better to me.

Schott, it's good to know those parts you listed will fit okay. Maybe I should look for new cranks with the BB.

Velobike and Drew, I check out DrFeelyGood's Klein and some builds. It's all interesting, but I really want the simplicity of no pivots or shocks (besides the Lefty). Weight is also a serious concern for me, and a hardtail would serve me better there. I appreciate all the tips, though, and I reckon Drew sobered up and changed his mind anyway

The bottom line is that I'm discouraged now. I'm bummed that my Prophet isn't worth much and I don't think I could up with even $620. There is a third option:

a. Buy the On-One bundle for $725
    b. Keep the Lefty for a later conversion
    c. Buy a BB for $50 (I hope)
    d. Use the shifter, rear der, cassette, brakes, seat post (maybe), and maybe some other stuff from the Prophet
    e. Sell the Prophet frame and some leftovers for maybe $300
    f. Sell the On-One fork for $75
    Total out of pocket ~ $400

I'm afraid my hands, wrists, arms, and other body parts would really miss a suspended fork, though.

mtbr member
    I would suggest parting out the bike, look at lefty for prices on ebay... sell that, get a headset reducer and put on a standard fork and sell the bike, that would put you pretty close to getting a fat bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidboarder2k4 View Post
    I would suggest parting out the bike, look at lefty for prices on ebay... sell that, get a headset reducer and put on a standard fork and sell the bike, that would put you pretty close to getting a fat bike
    I'm not following you. Part out the Prophet but put a standard fork on it? Sell the Lefty as well? I'm confused.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Fyi, fatty rolling chassis is cheaper on on ones website with free shipping worldwide advertised on their home page (not sure if it applies to large sized items).

On-One Fatty Rolling Chassis Bundle

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Have you considered the Moto/Bikes Direct fatbikes? Just a thought because it seems you are concerned about a budget (aren't we all?).

mtbr member
    69tr6r, I'll be dadgummed! The rolling chassis comes to $690 on the UK site, which includes delivery for $46 (I didn't see anything about free shipping). Thanks for pointing that out. It also gives me the option to add a headset. Do you think I should get one?

I would totally like to have one of those Motobecanes. Nothing is available now, though. Even the 15 inchers are not available, even though they show up in the drop-down menus. I reckon I'll check them out in February if I am still shopping at that time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Help Build Fat Bike from Cídale Prophet

In all the scenarios above which attempt to reuse the lefty you forgot to add in the price of building the new front wheel using the On One rim. Of course you could deduct from that what you are able to sell the On One front hub for. The spokes most likely get thrown in the parts bin for another day.

mtbr member
    I wondered if I would need to get different spokes. I hope my Lefty hub will work. I do have a guy who would do the lacing. Anyway, it'll be $220+.