Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    sweet!! Teachers unite!
    Absatively!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    BlueCheesehe: Did you ever hear of "hyperbole"? Or are you really that literal in all things?

Your data is too small a sample to have any statistical relevance. Talk to me when you have 100 flats.

mtbr member
    Wrong, G. 5,000 miles with one flat being in the tubed tire is good enough. You don't have to agree, but almost all the riders who have contributed to this thread are contradicting you, so give it a rest.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    21 miles today on FCC down lovely streets and trails in areas I'd not ridden before.
    No flats with this bike yet.

Anyone else actually ride rather than spout irrelevant goop dogma?

---
    Guanzo:
    I'm glad you've found a bike you like. Ride and enjoy! Ignore all the nonsense!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    21 miles today on FCC down lovely streets and trails in areas I'd not ridden before.
    No flats with this bike yet.

Anyone else actually ride rather than spout irrelevant goop dogma?

---
    Guanzo:
    I'm glad you've found a bike you like. Ride and enjoy! Ignore all the nonsense!
    Yeah, big guy. All of us ride, but only one here calls the collective opinion dogmatic for taking you to task in your dismissing tubeless without the experience necessary to know.

Stone Jack Baller
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    dismissing tubeless without the experience necessary to know.
    This is the issue. Tubes are fine. They are actually the better option for some people. Sounds like they work great for ramarren. I have 1 wheelset with tubes and it’s not a problem. The problem is spewing incorrect bs about something he is obviously clueless about and shouldn’t be misinforming someone else who doesn’t know.

mtbr member
    And his advice is not relevant to the OP's stated terrain. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I take issue with all of your dogmatic insistence that one MUST do tubeless conversion to have a good experience with a fat bike. My experience says, "No Way!" One flat in 5000 miles, or three in 1800 miles, in no way whatever constitutes a "must have" at all. That's what I'm objecting to in the most strenuous terms.

Guanzo stated, "... I wanted to use fat bike as %50 city %25 mountain %15 this road %10 snow sand etc. ... "

I do a lot of city pavement and the rest a mix of dirt, gravel, and sand depending on what trail I'm on or what road I need to go down to get to where I'm going 1. So I don't think there's any basis whatever for saying Guanzo's stated terrain is all that different from mine other than snow. It doesn't snow here, sorry.

My evaluation of tubeless after reading a bunch of articles on tubeless conversions, as well as all the many lengthy reports of issues in mounting, sealing, tire and rim compatibility, et cetera, is that it isn't the sensible solution for my riding in an environment similar to what Guanzo is suggesting. How many of the rest of you have ridden a fat bike set up properly for the 50% city riding environment with smooth roadie tires? I bet the answer is NONE whereas I've ridden mine that way and also on sandy, gravelly, rocky, and dirt roads. So I know a heck of a lot more about riding 50% city—and optimizing for city—than any of the rest of you do. You want to ride in the woods, in mud, on rocks, etc? Fine ... I have no interest in that shit.

It is just plain stupid to suggest to a newcomer to fat bikes that they MUST do this or MUST do that to have a good experience. It's just plain ridiculous. My first fat bike, even before I knew this forum existed, I picked up from the dealer and rode for 400 miles or more with no problems whatsoever. I was delighted with it, and looked for a forum to have fun discussion of rides and ask about various bike trivia as I gained experience with the bike.

I suggest to a newcomer that they consider what they want, do a test ride or two to determine whether the type of bike is suitable, and then pick a bike that they are comfortable with. If in the future there are issues with flats or anything else is when I would suggest ways to handle whatever the issues might be. That's the logical thing to recommend to a newcomer.

And yes, there are some disadvantages to using a fat bike for all around use. But it's quite doable, doing none of these musts you've all suggested, and lots of fun. I do it every day, very successfully.

... You've done your work well. You scared him off buying a fat bike. Good job, fat bike enthusiasts! You remind me of some other enthusiasts on other enthusiast forums. And since it looks like Guanzo has now decided what he wants and perhaps purchased it, there is no point to discussion on this thread any more for me. Fuss and dither, call me whatever you please from this point on. I don't give one damn about your opinions at this point.

mtbr member
    Clearly, ramarren missed both the 25% mountain and the photo of the 15% "road." But we now know you got your panties in such a twist after dramatically announcing your departure that you have become like a KISS farewell tour. G, you don't ride anything like that stuff, and your pedantic butthurt whinging hasn't done a damned thing in this thread-because you are out of your element.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    I don't give one damn about your opinions at this point.

Name:  pigsfly.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  15.6 KB
    Uh, yeah you do or you'd stop ranting so copiously.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    BlueCheesehe: Did you ever hear of "hyperbole"? Or are you really that literal in all things?

Your data is too small a sample to have any statistical relevance. Talk to me when you have 100 flats.
    When offering advice to a person limited in the language, such as the OP, speaking in literal terms is best.

In 10's of thousands of miles I have had numerous punctures that have not resulted in a flat while using sealant (I would conservatively estimate a 10:1 ratio). EVERY puncture, 100%, while using a tube has resulted in a flat (again 10's of thousands of miles ridden with tubes). Others here have similar results. The pattern is pretty clear.

Feel free to ride and believe what you like, after all this is 'Merica.

Good luck to the OP and his new ride. No need to continue thread, out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12