mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    Steve Hed says they’ll save a ton of weight over traditional fat bike wheels and -wait for it- that they’ve been running them tubeless with as little as 10psi!
    I thought that was funny...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I thought that was funny...
    I was just going to say something about that. 10 psi is harder than I ever run my fat tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Especially interesting since HED doesn't appear to be in the MTB business at all.

mtbr member
    HED Carbon Fat Wheels-image.jpg
    They look like my Spinergy Rev X "wheels of death". They made MTB ones for a while, but durability at the blade junction was an issue(they put rivets on them at the base in subsequent models, which mine have).
    Wheels is where we could save a ton of weight, so lighter would be awesome! Of course, just like my road wheels....I wouldn't be able to afford them new...or even manufactured in the same DECADE!

mtbr member
    Looks like they would shed snow!
    The pressures on a the 47mm rims I run on the Sandman range from 6# to 12# depending on conditions.
    I'm about 200lbs. 6-8psi for snow and 8-12 single track trails.
    Lower than 6psi and the tires are way too sluggish and handling goes to sh*t.

If they make 80mm or 100mm rims you could run really low depending on your weight.
    No offset will be an issue for some.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

mtbr member
    How wide? How does the hub work for the various hub standards and wheel offsets???

mtbr member
    A few months ago I was thinkin that this material (IsoTruss Carbon Fiber Lightweight Bike Frames | Delta 7 Bikes) and a bus full of engineers could make a pretty tight set of carbon hoops.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Anyone wanna guess prices? Figuring the extra low quantity they have to be actually making (Say, 300 sets total) and the exoticness and the usual HED markup and I'ma start the bidding at at least a grand per wheel. But I'm not gonna be surprised if it's closer to 1800 a piece.

mtbr member
    Reminds me of the mag wheels I had on my bmx bike in the 80's! Not a bad thing, I remember the thinking the same thing the first time I test rode my Moonlander at the bike store :-)
    "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt." - Surly Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Anyone wanna guess prices? Figuring the extra low quantity they have to be actually making (Say, 300 sets total) and the exoticness and the usual HED markup and I'ma start the bidding at at least a grand per wheel. But I'm not gonna be surprised if it's closer to 1800 a piece.

I would guess closer to $2500

is buachail foighneach me
    Hub spacing? The profile of the Nate suggests they're narrower than 70mm to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bprsnt View Post
    I'm about 200lbs. 6-8psi for snow and 8-12 single track trails.
    Lower than 6psi and the tires are way too sluggish and handling goes to sh*t.
    Interesting. I'm around 170 lbs with gear and I run 4-4.5psi in snow and 7-8 psi on dry singletrack. The 10 psi mentioned in the link would be basically un-rideable ATMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Keep it in your pants, people (your wallet, I mean!) Looking closely at the pics suggests a bad Photoshop mashup of a HED wheel and a RD or ML rim. In the 2nd pic, the carbon center section is not even centered inside the rim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Especially interesting since HED doesn't appear to be in the MTB business at all.
    They used to be... I still have a set of HED DB45 downhill rims.

The photos are definitely photoshopped... but that doesn't mean they won't be making them. Maybe the prototypes weren't ready in time for photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    Interesting. I'm around 170 lbs with gear and I run 4-4.5psi in snow and 7-8 psi on dry singletrack. The 10 psi mentioned in the link would be basically un-rideable ATMO.
    All depends on your weight and rim width. I run slightly lower pressure on the ML but 4-5 psi is too low for me. ATMO
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    .... In the 2nd pic, the carbon center section is not even centered inside the rim.
    That's just because fatbike rims are almost never perfectly round or true. Why should these be different?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    5k set of wheels and a 2.5 k carbon frame... I guess fat bikes have arrived. Yay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Yay?
    But I just finished designing a ti-frame now I haz to get carbonz?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    they look fake to me

Harmonius Wrench
    At Frostbike the scuttlebutt was that HED was making rims not a complete wheel. Eyewitnesses say it is a non-cut out, carbon rim. Word was that the weight was low enough that cut outs only decreased rigidity and were not necessary for the rims to be competitively light.

It was also noted that HED seems to be pursuing the mtb market again. A NAHBS report I read mentioned this.

mtbr member
    All the cool kids are riding carbon. Just keep it out of the sunlight. Everyone knows carbon assplodes in the sun.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A carbon assplosion sounds painful