Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

HED Carbon Fat Bike Wheels

From Salsa's FB page....

Details are sparse so far.

mtbr member
    the only certain detail would be no 100mm I am ready to hand money to some company willing to go 100 mm carbon!

Dirt Huffer
    I was hoping they'd be aero

Human Test Subject
    Shut up and get to the gym.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    the only certain detail would be no 100mm I am ready to hand money to some company willing to go 100 mm carbon!
    + 1

mtbr member
    While 100mm would be nice...

90mm will fit more frames.

and they're coming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Shut up and get to the gym.
    There's carbon rims at the gym? 100mm?

Re: HED Carbon Fat Bike Wheels

...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by MuruCycles View Post
    While 100mm would be nice...

90mm will fit more frames.
    and do just fine comparatively speaking that the likelihood of anyone able to discern the diff is quite small if at all.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bike Rumor has several pictures and some more detailed information.

There at 420 grams and may be able to go lower.
    HED Carbon Fat Bike Wheels-2014-hed-carbon-fiber-tubeless-fat-bike-rim04-600x399.jpg
    Cheers,
    Steven
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

mtbr member
    Somebody go and measure them, whats the bet they are between 77-85mm. Can we have some 60-65mm please!

ONE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by OFFcourse; 09-18-2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: yes i really used my one time

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    and do just fine comparatively speaking that the likelihood of anyone able to discern the diff is quite small if at all.
    111mm wide Buds on 65mm Marge Lites, 116mm wide Buds on 100mm Clown Shoes.... at 7-8psi.

Unsure of the difference when deflated to snow pressures.

On topic... im liking these carbon rim offerings, but a lil birdie told me Stans are working on a fat rim, im a little more excited about the latter.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Most impressed. With 420g rims, our latest prototype hits 19.3lbs, and that is with alloy frame and fork.

Yep, Stan is working on a rim that shows some promise. I bugged him daily about getting into the fat scene last fall, and we buy tens of thousands of his regular rims every year, so I guess that helped, along with similar requests (I'm sure) from other PM and RD guys.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

How much does it weigh?
    The HED rim looks like it will collect snow/ice really nicely in the central valley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Gotta love that name - "YoMama". As in "yo mama's so fat..."

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Somebody go and measure them, whats the bet they are between 77-85mm. Can we have some 60-65mm please!

ONE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd even be happy with some between 47-60mm for summertime fun...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    The HED rim looks like it will collect snow/ice really nicely in the central valley.
    Agreed, one of the best fat bike related names I've seen!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    This seems to be a recurring them with you--that no one 'needs' X. Consider that just because *you* don't need it, or have never ridden in situations that demand it, doesn't mean that the same holds true for all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Think the "Eight Eight" by the valve stem means 88mm?
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    This seems to be a recurring them with you--that no one 'needs' X. Consider that just because *you* don't need it, or have never ridden in situations that demand it, doesn't mean that the same holds true for all.
    You are incorrect with the assumptions. My point is well intended and real with regard to ones ability to ascertain the diff of a 80mm rim VS a 100mm rim with said same tire and as Ozzy pointed out with his measurements there's 5mm diff between a 65mm ML VS a 100mm CS on Buds with 7-8psi so therein lies quantitative feedback worthy of praise/proof.

In short nothing recurring from my side as thats not how i roll.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Knob shoulder width of Bud on 65 vs. 100mm is 118 vs. 112mm, while max casing width (more critical for flotation) is 119mm vs. 105mm, but still less of a difference than one would think. Bud is massive even on skinny rims.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Knob shoulder width of Bud on 65 vs. 100mm is 118 vs. 112mm, while max casing width (more critical for flotation) is 119mm vs. 105mm, but still less of a difference than one would think. Bud is massive even on skinny rims.
    thank you
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think they only real world comparo would be to measure the width of the tire track in sand/snow at the same psi between both wheels.

I am thinking because a CS would have more volume you could run lower pressures w/o worry of rim strikes. Less psi, more float, smiley face.

I would also imagine that a but/lou's profile or shape on a ML vs a CS is alot different. Which is better for what application? Would a bud/lou flatten out better at low psi on a CS because it already starts out much more flat vs. a ML?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I think they only real world comparo would be to measure the width of the tire track in sand/snow at the same psi between both wheels.

I am thinking because a CS would have more volume you could run lower pressures w/o worry of rim strikes. Less psi, more float, smiley face.

I would also imagine that a but/lou's profile or shape on a ML vs a CS is alot different. Which is better for what application? Would a bud/lou flatten out better at low psi on a CS because it already starts out much more flat vs. a ML?
    True. Over here, I rode 7 consecutive months in powder last winter, so we are big fans of flotation. That is why we are coming out with a 103mm rim for our Mk3 bikes.
    Vee Snowshoe on the new rim is going to rock.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

Fat & Single
    I would be more worried about the engine driving those 5mm wider clownshoe/4.8" combo than the 5mm skinnier Margelite/4.8" combo....

No point running rally tyres if the car is sh1t !
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    I would be more worried about the engine driving those 5mm wider clownshoe/4.8" combo than the 5mm skinnier Margelite/4.8" combo....

No point running rally tyres if the car is sh1t !
    yup thats for sure.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

Laramie, Wyoming
    At a race last winter I chatted with someone who had Bud and Lou on narrower rims. He seemed shocked at how much wider my Bud and Lou on Clownshoes appeared to be. It was a visible difference. We started talking because he recognized my bike from photos on here and my tubeless setup.

For speed, yes, the motor is important.

mtbr member
    The guy at the HED booth told me that they are 80mm wide, 550g, and will retail for 1000.00 dollars per rim. They seam super awesome and looked great but at that price point they will be far out of my reach. He also told me that they where a pre production model that they are still working the details out on.
    litespeed's break

Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    The guy at the HED booth told me that they are 80mm wide, 550g, and will retail for 1000.00 dollars per rim.

mtbr member
    Great now we have 77mm, 80mm and 85mm carbon rims. Way to flood the mid-fat-rim market!

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Great now we have 77mm, 80mm and 85mm carbon rims. Way to flood the mid-fat-rim market!
    Borealis looks like the winner,wider than HED and less money.
    --Peace

mtbr member

I liked this sub-forum when it was less whiny. Grow up, Fools. 100mm carbon will show up eventually.

mtbr member
    We grew up, got carbon rims, started whinging and measure **** in $per/mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Borealis looks like the winner,wider than HED and less money.
    If Stan's does what they say they will, and without carbon... I think they will win. Unless we are talking carbon only... and not just rims. What are we talking about again???

They were quoted as saying in the 80-100mm range, close to same weight, and a fraction of the cost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Where's the thread on the proposed rim from Stan's?

mtbr member
    any up to date thoughts on the HED rim? I was riding one around a couple weeks back and was impressed. My understainding is the factory built wheels tend to have low spoke tension - one of my cocnerns is wheel flex and the resulting effect on longevity - so...

anybody here with any experience?

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    any up to date thoughts on the HED rim? I was riding one around a couple weeks back and was impressed. My understainding is the factory built wheels tend to have low spoke tension - one of my cocnerns is wheel flex and the resulting effect on longevity - so...

anybody here with any experience?
    I wound up getting one for the front (kept a 100mm rim in the rear for increased float.) Overall, I like the rim. It makes a very noticeable difference compared to the Rolling Daryl I had before. I have never had any success with tubeless and this rim was no different, but I put in lightweight tubes (SV-13F from Schwalbe) and thin duck tape and the setup probably weighs about the same as a tubeless set up would. I have about 3,000 miles on the rim and the only real complaint I have is with the hex headed spoke nipples. Two of them broke within the first 3 months--one during a race. I eventually replaced them with conventional nipples and haven't had a problem since. I also had some ice build-up on the inside of the rim during a 4-day outing due to the rims unusual shape and tendency to trap water and ice, but even with that, it was still far lighter than any of the competition's rims. I'll also say that the very low bead wall means that tires setup very wide on this rim. It's closer to a 90 or 95 mm rim in terms of tire width than its measured 85mm.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    thanks: im with you on the width. the nates on the HED rims i was on are markedly wider/different profile than on the marge lite i hav*e. the hex head spokes you had - hex hed on the inside of the rim?

the weight is the attractive feature here for sure - even over other carbon rims. the bike i rode felt extremely nimble...admitedly frame design probably had somethign to do with it (for example, 410mm stays!) but the lack of wheel weight was amazing...

* to clarify: more than i woudl have anticipated by the extra rim width.

mtbr member
    I bought a set recently but haven't had a chance to ride them yet. I would agree with Lars regarding tubeless. It doesn't appear that a Bud/Lou, at least, will seal up without a little help from some 1" gorilla tape around the bead shelf. Prior to that they leaked like a quite a bit, ok like crazy actually. Also, I've set up and been riding tubeless on a ML and RD for a while. I think it will be fine but am bummed that mine don't appear to be tubeless without the usual fiddle fu€£[^g around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the HED rims on my borealis. Rode them with 3.8knards July, August, September without problems--I am 6'2" 215 pounds. Put Bud and Lou on and am loving the extra volume. I used to have a Moonlander with Bud and Lou on clownshoes. For the riding I do, I am not noticing any loss due to reduction in rim width, and the rims have performed as they should--they are there, and I do not worry about them nor do I really notice them--they give me no cause to pay attention to them (other than to admire them).

The only negative I can say is the design does cause water to pool on the rim.

Tubeless both with the Knards and the bud/lou--was very easy.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I think the differences in rim width are most noticeable with low pressure snow riding. Lou rolls side to side with the narrower rims. On off camber rails in the snow this really shows up. The change in profile also affects rides in tougher riding situations in snow.

mtbr member
    Are these readily available through HED directly, or is there is wait? Does anyone know a price for a build with i9 hubs? Will they use Brass nipples upon request?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sounds like a question best asked of HED--recommend you contact them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I bought some new hubs and had them shipped direct to HED and they had them back to me in 10 days. Not sure which wheels you are talking about but mine were aprox 87mm and were 420g ea. I went from Rolling Daryl's with light weight tubes to these tubeless and saved over a pound per wheel. Tried gorilla tape and failed, switched to Tyvec house wrap tape and has worked great. 2 wraps of this very thin and strong stretchy tape was very easy to do. I used 4oz Stans liquid in the Dillingers and it sealed up in 5 min or less and does not leak. I compared the profile of the tire to same one on Rolling Daryl and they are wider at 103.71mm @ 10psi. They will build them with what you want, I got bladed spokes and red nipples to match the new hubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HED Carbon Fat Bike Wheels-img_0151.jpg  

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    hex hed on the inside of the rim?
    Yes, hex head on the inside.
    --Peace

The Dog.
    I have been beating on mine since the early spring without issue thus far. They made my fatbike lighter than my 29er, so I have been riding trail with them more than I anticipated. They have held up fine despite some hard rim hits at high speed too. These rims are remarkably strong given how thin they are. When you check your tire pressure, you can actually see the rim bending. I suspect that their elasticity is the key to their durability. I have not noticed especially low spoke tension or any issues with stiffness. The CX-ray spokes can be a little loud rubbing on one another when dirty, but I had that issue with past CX-ray wheelsets too. Even a very loose vee rubber tire went tubeless with the use of a compressor. Once seated, all the tires I have used have been dead ass reliable tubeless. Certainly far more reliable than my rolling darryl conversion attempts.

As noted above, the only negative that I can see at all with these wheels is their tendency to pool and hold water. This does make me a bit nervous about their ability to shed snow. I will probably wax the rims before winter comes.

One other random issue is that the straight bead shelf walls are pretty sharp. Over time, I think that this can start to cut into the low portions of a tire sidewall. I had on one floater with an early casing failure that I suspect was due to the tire, but I doubt it would have gone like that on a rim with a traditional bead lock or more blunt rim sidewall.

Fat & Single
    Just looking at my post from a year ago, I'm not so opinionated lately with rim width... really its came down to the same golden rule as 4WDing... tyre pressure IS EVERYTHING.

I have now ran nearly every combo except 100mm rims, I run 90mm rims so nearly there. The difference between riding with lots of different people with different rime/tyre/pressures has become very apparent.

If you run wide rims and tyres (100/90mm and 4.8") at a semi hard pressure you have a bit of advantage over someone doing the same with a narrower combo, now someone running 4.8" tyres on 65mm rims at the proper pressure for the "sand hill" will leave you walking halfway up.
    The sand hill is only 5m high, do you ride halfway and walk the last 2.5m and then catch up and overtake the rider on the flats... which is still pretty soft or do you go for glory on the sand hill.

Coming from a Singlespeed background, I hate walking... but if its only few seconds of a really soft dune, I'm good with that. I would rather move faster for the other 99% of the ride than wobbling soft dune 3-4psi on harder sand.

YMMV and I am speaking sand here, you snow guys will have a different view... esp the Iditirod riders.

Would be interested to hear about the consistency of snow over a complete ride.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Fat & Single
    BTW my fave combo at the mo is 90mm rims and 4.0" tyres... impatiently waiting to get my hands on some Jumbo Jims.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Laramie, Wyoming
    When talking about HED rims that you have, it would be helpful to mention which ones you have since HED is now making rims in a couple sizes for fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanneson View Post
    I bought a set recently but haven't had a chance to ride them yet. I would agree with Lars regarding tubeless. It doesn't appear that a Bud/Lou, at least, will seal up without a little help from some 1" gorilla tape around the bead shelf. Prior to that they leaked like a quite a bit, ok like crazy actually. Also, I've set up and been riding tubeless on a ML and RD for a while. I think it will be fine but am bummed that mine don't appear to be tubeless without the usual fiddle fu€£[^g around.
    I have the 83.5mm version, as measured from the inside of the bead shelf at the widest point. The bigger wheels aren't even on the HED website, that I can see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast