Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hed Big Deal Carbon Rims!

I apologize for the delay in posting this and still don't have photos but I thought some may be interested in my experience with these amazing rims. I had Paul Whub front and Hope Pro Evo2 rear hubs drop shipped to Hed and they had it built with Sapim spokes and out the door the same day! I received the wheels in Western MA 3 days later; not bad. The wheels are crazy light. I set them up first with Dillingers following their directions of 1 layer of Gorilla tape to cover the spoke holes. The tires sealed and were seated without trouble but I kept having leakage out the spoke wholes. I took everything apart, cleaned the rims, re-applied tape, inserted tube and left inflated to 20psi overnight to really mash down the tape. Replaced tires and still had leakage from the spoke holes, but less, and after 12 hrs of re-inflating, they sealed up and never leaked again. In the future I might put a little rubber cement on the nipples to improve the seal. So my Aluminum Fatback (170mm) with O-Beast carbon fork, e13 cranks, XT drivetrain, and cheap aluminum bars/stem/post weighs 27 lbs. I didn't actually ride the bike with that set-up because my son wanted the Dillingers back on his bike(!) so I replaced them with my trusty Bud/Nate combo. Added 120 front and 80 rear grip studs and bike is now 28.5 lbs. Now the ride report: holy crap! I lost 4 lbs of rotational weight from my hundies and it's a whole different bike. I'm screaming up climbs that that used to feel like peddling through molasses, and I'm hopping onto rocks like I was on my carbon Tallboy. The steering also feels quicker/lighter. I could never run my previous wheels tubeless; now I have no fear of pinch-flatting and will consider making this my year-round bike. BTW, Paul at Hed was really helpful in getting the wheels sealed and even gave me his contact info over the weekend if I had any problems. Yes, the wheels were expensive (about $2000 total shipped) but when I see what people are paying for carbon frames to take 1lb of static weight off compared to aluminum, this was a bargain. So all we need now is a little snow!

mtbr member
    Nice, thanks! Any one else willing and able to share their experience with these wheels?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have had my HED's for over a month now. Built with Paul on the front and Industry Nine on the rear. There isn't a better or lighter hub than I-9! And while I am at it, I will say there isn't a better set of rims than the HED's. Used one strip of gorilla tape, and set them up tubeless with Husker Du's. Had no leakage at all. I have them on my Mukluk-Ti which I race with down in the southeast in Pisgah etc. all single track steep rocky and rooty. So, no snow, but the wheels handle like a dream. I have gotten the whole bike down to just over 22Lbs with those wheels. I can definitely feel an improved response when accelerating and more agility in turning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Beargrease Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by campykid View Post
    I apologize for the delay in posting this and still don't have photos but I thought some may be interested in my experience with these amazing rims. I had Paul Whub front and Hope Pro Evo2 rear hubs drop shipped to Hed and they had it built with Sapim spokes and out the door the same day! I received the wheels in Western MA 3 days later; not bad. The wheels are crazy light. I set them up first with Dillingers following their directions of 1 layer of Gorilla tape to cover the spoke holes. The tires sealed and were seated without trouble but I kept having leakage out the spoke wholes. I took everything apart, cleaned the rims, re-applied tape, inserted tube and left inflated to 20psi overnight to really mash down the tape. Replaced tires and still had leakage from the spoke holes, but less, and after 12 hrs of re-inflating, they sealed up and never leaked again. In the future I might put a little rubber cement on the nipples to improve the seal. So my Aluminum Fatback (170mm) with O-Beast carbon fork, e13 cranks, XT drivetrain, and cheap aluminum bars/stem/post weighs 27 lbs. I didn't actually ride the bike with that set-up because my son wanted the Dillingers back on his bike(!) so I replaced them with my trusty Bud/Nate combo. Added 120 front and 80 rear grip studs and bike is now 28.5 lbs. Now the ride report: holy crap! I lost 4 lbs of rotational weight from my hundies and it's a whole different bike. I'm screaming up climbs that that used to feel like peddling through molasses, and I'm hopping onto rocks like I was on my carbon Tallboy. The steering also feels quicker/lighter. I could never run my previous wheels tubeless; now I have no fear of pinch-flatting and will consider making this my year-round bike. BTW, Paul at Hed was really helpful in getting the wheels sealed and even gave me his contact info over the weekend if I had any problems. Yes, the wheels were expensive (about $2000 total shipped) but when I see what people are paying for carbon frames to take 1lb of static weight off compared to aluminum, this was a bargain. So all we need now is a little snow!
    I just built up the Beargrease Carbon with the Hed carbon rims and laced them to the new I9 Torch hubs. I should be in the saddle by next week. Can't wait. This New England snow is killing. Good to see all positive reviews. Cheers, Johnny

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I have about 5 rides on mine and I am impressed with the quality of the HED rims and the i9 hubs. The bike accelerates up hills like you have an engine strapped to it.

I also agree spend the money shaving rotating weight as you will feel it the most

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Beargrease Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    I have about 5 rides on mine and I am impressed with the quality of the HED rims and the i9 hubs. The bike accelerates up hills like you have an engine strapped to it.

I also agree spend the money shaving rotating weight as you will feel it the most

What kind of abuse have you given them? And what kind do you they can take?
    Johnny

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Everything here is snow covered. However ever chance I can I try to jump or toss the bike around.

FYI - I am 165 + 20lbs of gear
    Marty-mj

Anchorage, AK

Re: Hed Big Deal Carbon Rims!

I had mine built with a PD dynamo hub. Turnaround for my wheel was a full six weeks, including shipping from and to Alaska.

I only got a front wheel, as I am a larger rider and need a clown shoe in the rear to minimize break-through on the soft stuff. I am happy with the rim and wheel build quality, although I did notice ice accumulating in the rim grooves on a multi-day excursion, but this shouldn't be an issue for most riders.

Over-all, the wheel is well worth the money.

--Lars
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What was the price of the rim and build from HED? Did anyone purchase the complete wheel set from HED with the I9 hubs? If so, what was the price? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A friend of mine at my LBS said he called HED and they told him it was $2200 for the complete set built with i9's and CX-Ray spokes. I was expecting more considering its a lot of carbon in the rim and those hubs and spokes aint cheap either.

mtbr member
    I paid a total of $2000 for Paul/Hope pro evo2 hubs, Hed rims, Sapim spokes, wheelbuilding, and shipping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I have heard a few people express a problem with the HED rim at low pressures. Anyone have any experience at less than 5 psi?

mtbr member
    Been down to 3 psi; absolutely no problems. Had to take the tire off yesterday; it was sealed tight! After completely deflating it had to stand on the tire to break the seal. I have no concerns re: burping.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Well, this has put me over the edge. My Carbondales are paid for but I'm not wanting to be patient any longer. They seemed to be annoyed at Borealis that I am interested in regular updates concerning when the rims will be available. HED might not be any better at communicating but at least their rims are available so they don't have to talk with customers about how long they will need to wait.

Monday can't come soon enough so I can get the ball rolling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

HED Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Well, this has put me over the edge. My Carbondales are paid for but I'm not wanting to be patient any longer. They seemed to be annoyed at Borealis that I am interested in regular updates concerning when the rims will be available. HED might not be any better at communicating but at least their rims are available so they don't have to talk with customers about how long they will need to wait.

Monday can't come soon enough so I can get the ball rolling.
    I've gotten mine down to 4.5 psi with no seal problems. HED's carbon rims are amazing. Can't wait to ride them with no snow and take the Beargrease to Highland for some shuttle runs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Rumor is that the podium at Fat Birkie were rolling Heds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Laramie, Wyoming
    I looked at someone's HED wheels before a race recently and noticed that her's were leaking sealant around the bead. She brushed it off as water, but it was clearly green sealant.

Any others notice that their HED tubeless wheels leak?

mtbr member
    Had trouble sealing spoke holes initially. Haven't lost a drop since (nate and bud, 300 miles) .

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Podium

Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    Rumor is that the podium at Fat Birkie were rolling Heds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Are you talking about the Knonlly Podium?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I have heard a few people express a problem with the HED rim at low pressures. Anyone have any experience at less than 5 psi?
    I currently ride mine at 6 psi and hav gone as low as 3 psi in really deep snow. As for the leaking they were probably just mounted.

Here is a tip if you buy them. First make sure you get the 3" wide Gorilla tape as the 2" doesn't really work that well for the nipple sealing.

Mount the tire filled with Stan's and then dip a clean shop rag in the Stan's sealant and wipe/soak with rim bead and outside of the tire bead. This will help the tire mount (acts a lubricant) and it will also help seal the rim/tire bead much quicker. You will have to ride the bike at least once to help it get the Stan's everywhere it needs to seal but after the first or second ride it should completely seal it self up.

ps I do check the tire prior to every ride and the most I have ever pumped in was 2 pumps.
    Marty-mj

mtbr member
    I am very happy with mine. No problem with the tubeless setup per the directions supplied. Pretty quick turnaround. I haven't needed to go below 5psi yet so I can't answer that question but I can't imagine it would be an issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Has anyone dealt directly with HED to purchase their wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Monument247 View Post
    Has anyone dealt directly with HED to purchase their wheels?
    Kinda yes. I talked with them several times and then had my local bike shop get the RA # for the hubs

Marty-mj

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks, Way2. Unfortunately, I have no LBS. The nearest is an 85 mile round trip. It'd be great if I could order a set of wheels with hubs from them. I'm not sure that I'm ready to drop that kind of money yet. When I decide, I'll call HED and see if I can buy a pair direct.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast