mtbr member

Have 47mm Wide Wheels - need Frame Advice - Help!

Hey folks,

So I have a set of wheels that feature 47mm wide Tryall rims laced to regular Shimano Deore Disc wheels (135mm rear and 100mm front) and I'm looking for frame/fork ideas to pair them up with.

I tried an experiment with a Kona Unit 29er and it failed as the bottom bracket was unacceptably low.

What are some frame options that could fit the wheels in say a wide DH 26er tire in rear and a fat front tire combo?

Surly 1x1? Instigator? Other ideas? Maybe even a single pivot FS frame and then a 650b compatible fork up front for a semi-fat type scenario? I know the soon to be new 2014 Instigator will work - but looking for used frames if possible as I'm on a budget.

Thoughts guys and gals?

Best,

Mark

mtbr member
    I would get the tires your going to run them with first then go find the frame and fork.

mtbr member
    The wheels currently have WTB Weirwolf 2.5s on them. the rear hub can only work on a non-fat frame right? It isn't 170mm and it isn't offset (or is that just the rim that needs to be offset?).

So I was thinking that rim with Wide 2.5/2.7 type tires in the rear and the front could be open to a similar tire on up to a Nate or the like right?

So I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions on frames with mega 26" rear tire clearance.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    The wheels currently have WTB Weirwolf 2.5s on them. the rear hub can only work on a non-fat frame right? It isn't 170mm and it isn't offset (or is that just the rim that needs to be offset?).

So I was thinking that rim with Wide 2.5/2.7 type tires in the rear and the front could be open to a similar tire on up to a Nate or the like right?

So I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions on frames with mega 26" rear tire clearance.
    So your basically going to make a 69er?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    That is one option I guess yeah..........but an unconventional one I guess. I mean if there was a frame out there that could allow me to run fat tires front and back I'd do it. But I don't know if such a frame exists aside from doing something one-off/custom.

The other idea would be to do something like the plans for the New Instigator - 26+ or whatever they are calling it.

mtbr member
    The original Instigator had a high BB.

May be a bit hard to get though.

Mine had plenty clearance with 40mm rims with a Maxxis 2.35" in there.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Surly Troll or 1x1
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does your Kona have sliding adjustable dropouts like this?
    http://files.konart.net/2011/hires/unit.jpg

Might be possible to fabricate new custom dropout sliders that raise the rear end 1" upward for higher BB. Put a taller 5" fat tire on the front and/or a taller fork to raise it a bit too. Consider getting shorter cranks...

mtbr member
    I'd prefer to get a frame to work with these wheels rather than modifying the Kona - but thanks.

mtbr member
    The On One 456 Evo2 frame has room for 2.5". The raw/blue colour looks awesome!
    This combined with a Moonlander fork could just work fine!

PRETENDURO
    Surly 1x1 or Troll… as mentioned already.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Chromag Stylus takes 2.7" downhill tires. It's there 'made overseas' frame so you can find them cheaper than Chromag's premium frames. They are very heavy.

Also, I contacted someone who said they were running 2.7" DH tires on an older Surly Instigator - Instigator's are available on CL pretty cheap.

Surly 1x1 or Troll seem to be the most common frames to take wide 26ers.

I'd also be interested in learning of other options for a fat-front 69er that would accept Surly's upcoming 2.75" Dirt Wizard in the back, and play friendly with a 468mm A-C fork.

mtbr member
    Surly Troll with 65mm rims

Different size but you get the idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    you suck.

mtbr member
    I wonder if this would work.

Ragley Piglet 2 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm actually trying to do the same thing. I currently have an Instigator, running Canti Brakes, so when I upgrade to disc's I'm thinking I want to get funky with the wheels.

According to Surly it will fit a 26x2.7 (I'm currently running a 2.35 Duro in the Rear) or a 24x3. I'm considering doing a 46er, if that's what you call it. If I could get my hands on a set of Large Marge 24's I would, but they seem nearly impossible to find.

I love riding rigid, but a little extra squish would be nice on the rough parts of the trails.

Not sure where you live, but if you are anywhere near Asheville, NC, I'd be happy to let you tool around on my frame to see what fits. That would actually save me from having to buy wheels only to find they don't fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    Surly Troll with 65mm rims

Different size but you get the idea.
    Thanks!

mtbr member

The new Surly Instigator is designed for 26" wheels with 50mm rims and 2.75" tires. Your wheels should work fine. Doesn't come with a fork if you go the frame only route.

2014 Surly Instigator
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com