mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Has anyone gone from a Pugsley to a Wednesday?

I have a Pugsley and a Moonlander. I like the bigger tires for the winter and the pugs all other times of the year. I find that I am starting to miss having front suspension on the pugsley. I think that my wrist and elbows could use a little squish. I wouldn't mind having just one fat bike. The ice cream truck would be a clear choice if it wasn't for the PF bottom bracket. I am leaning towards a Wednesday but:

Can a Wednesday frame fit a 4.8 tire on a 80mm rim in the rear? I would like to cut back to just one bike if possible.

How is the Wednesday rear hub? Is it cartridge bearings or loose balls with cones? How does the freehub hold up? I like having the easily serviceable 135mm rear hub on my pugsley.

How does the Wednesday ride compared to the pugs. I grew up riding bikes with geo just like the pugs and feel very comfortable. I looked at the charts but I've never had a bike with "new" geometry.

The alternative is to simply buy an RST fork for the pugs but I'm not sure that I want to drop over $600.00 (fork and front wheel build) on a brand new fork from RST when I could probably go to a Wednesday and be out around $900.00 with a Bluto.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    you are not going to get a 4.8 on the rear of a wed. 4.6 beist/ground control at best.

i like my wed. feels more agile than a pugs or ICT. got over 500 rough rocky singletrack miles on it, and no bearing issues. i am running a Bud/Nate combo for the winter.

i was going to put a wren on it, but decided to save my sheckles and put a wren on a foes mutz instead. then i can leave the wed for winter and run the mutz in summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i went from a moonlander to an ICT....the moonie climbed better but the ICT goes down vastly better...i loved my moonie but i cant say i miss it...and over a thousand on the salsa hub,not a single issue so far...and only some minor bb creaking that went away with proper adjustment and grease...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Pugs/Moonie feels a lot different from the Wednesday, and that's not a bad thing. The Wed has a shorter rear end, a longer front end, and obviously more slack. I'm running Beists on Mulefuts, and I wouldn't attempt anything larger. Thankfully this is a great combo! If you like riding "playfully", meaning jumps/drops/wheelies/etc, you'd love the Wednesday.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    you are not going to get a 4.8 on the rear of a wed. 4.6 beist/ground control at best.

i like my wed. feels more agile than a pugs or ICT. got over 500 rough rocky singletrack miles on it, and no bearing issues. i am running a Bud/Nate combo for the winter.

i was going to put a wren on it, but decided to save my sheckles and put a wren on a foes mutz instead. then i can leave the wed for winter and run the mutz in summer.
    Thank you for the responses. Is the Wednesday stiffer than the Pugsley? I flex my rear tire into my front derailleur when stomping up a steep climb.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    Thank you for the responses. Is the Wednesday stiffer than the Pugsley? I flex my rear tire into my front derailleur when stomping up a steep climb.
    never had the tire hit anything yet. my standard tire pressure is 8.5psi.

mtbr member
    I considered it, but decided against it.

I think the Pug design is better for an adventure bike on natural terrain, whereas the Wednesday seems aimed more at trail park riding where there's jumps, berms, and downhills where you can safely go fast.

So I kept my Pug. I also appreciate being able to use off the shelf mtb standard components for the wheels.

However I am considering a Moonlander.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Following.....I have a Pug, I want a Wednesday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    Following.....I have a Pug, I want a Wednesday.

I made the switch from pugsley to wednesday and I think that it was a good move for the kind of riding I do. The wednesday geometry is spot on for me and having a suspension fork has really helped my elbow and wrist pain. I think that the only downside for me was loosing the ability to swap front and rear wheels which is a feature that I have used when ruining freehubs on the pugs.

The wednesday is slightly heavier but rides light. I have no complaints with the frame at all. I do however think that the part spec should be better given the price. I don't see myself selling this bike anytime in the near future. It could be my only bike, it does everything well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    I made the switch from pugsley to wednesday and I think that it was a good move for the kind of riding I do. The wednesday geometry is spot on for me and having a suspension fork has really helped my elbow and wrist pain. I think that the only downside for me was loosing the ability to swap front and rear wheels which is a feature that I have used when ruining freehubs on the pugs.

The wednesday is slightly heavier but rides light. I have no complaints with the frame at all. I do however think that the part spec should be better given the price. I don't see myself selling this bike anytime in the near future. It could be my only bike, it does everything well.
    Thanks! I do not swap wheels ever and use my Pug primarily in the snow and on trails in NH all summer. The Wednesday seems to be a jack of all trades and I like the idea of being able to get 4.6" tires on it plus run a suspension fork. I just want to test drive one before I make the call.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Don't test ride one, unless it's one you can buy right away. The waiting to get one will be torture!

Over a year on mine and it's still my favorite fatbike. Not just fatbike I've owned, but favorite fatbike I've ever ridden, and that's a lot. It's been on 4.0's and 4.6's, rigid and hardtail, dropper and without. Framebag and without. Summer double black diamond singletrack to fresh snow. Groomed or ungroomed. Singlespeed will happen sometime too. Incredibly versatile, as most Surly bikes are. It just feels "right" to me. I know another that did the switch and feels the same.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks Jag....I just put my Pug up for sale. I'm pretty much buying one it's just a matter of when.

gone walk about

Pugsley to a Wednesday

Those are addams family characters!! you guys ain't right.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ha ha! I'm selling the brother as of tonight. I just listed him on FB on NorthEast Classified Bicycle...$600. I'm buying his sister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rode a Pugs for 4 seasons, this is my second season on my Wednesday. I couldn't be happier with the switch. The Pugs is a great bike, but just does not handle like the Wed. To be honest my snow riding is on snowmobile trails 99% of the time, very non-technical riding, so the difference is moot for me in that respect. However, the difference on flow trails in the summer is night and day. My Pugs would drift the front end causing me to be less aggressive. Non issue on the Wed. Sticks like glue, and I'm running the tires that were on my Pugs on the Wed. I've had no issues getting 4.6 tires on mine all the way up in the drop-outs. I'm running 1X to facilitate this.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I rode my Carver on tuesday ; )