mtbr member

Has anybody ever worn a BUD bald?

Bud the tire - I've been trying for 3 years now. It still looks good. Guess I will just keep after it...

mtbr member
    I've found it hard to wear out my fat tyres. I mainly ride on soft ground so they seem to last for ever.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

All fat, all the time.
    Lol nice.
    I wore an Endo bald, but they started with pretty small tread depth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've had mine 5 seasons and it still looks new. I've even ridden it year around a couple years. You'll have better luck if you put it on the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

since 4/10/2009
    I rode my Nates on primarily soft conditions for the first 2 years I owned them. Put them on for winter riding in WNC and with all the rocks and gravel road climbs, I've put more wear on them since October than I did the first 2 years I owned them.

But even then, they wear pretty well. I have a feeling I'm going to start ripping knobs off the front one before I can say I've worn them out. I think when that eventually happens, I'll put a Vanhelga up front.

turtles make me hot
    I wore a Bud and Lou down pretty good a few years ago when I was riding my fat bike on Bud and Lou on Clownshoes 15 miles a day on pavement while rehabbing a broken ankle.
    Bud lasted a lot better than Lou.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Totally not related to the question, but hey it's the internet.

I put 4,000 miles on a Barbegazzi (3,000 on tar) and it was less than 2/3 worn.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Professional Crastinator
    I think your sidewalls will wear out first. 5-7mm of tread is a LOT to burn through.

BUT, if you feel compelled, get going down a hill really fast and just lock it up. It will smoke like a motorcycle tire. It is hilarious, albeit expensive.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I'm just gonna keep after it until that BUD is bald!

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Good luck! I still have some whiskers after 2 seasons. Bud is the best damn fat bike tire ever made (mic drop).

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Whatever you do donít ride it in snow. I read on this forum from a member who raced in the Iditasport (he hardly ever mentions that he raced it) that snow is abrasive and will wear out your tire.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    ...snow is abrasive and will wear out your tire.
    Has anybody ever worn a BUD bald?-ddd25bdcc9b156390f5fdd78d98aec49528bd4996a0d9f71005a3c06d8d8ab93.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Iím not making this stuff up. I read it here:

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    True. But one company's "light" casing is another company's useless garbage. The Kenda's are about as durable as riding on papier mache.

Point simply being that many here are suggesting that there is a big market for these tires. There isn't. A few handfuls of people, mostly buying aftermarket, will never pay off the up front costs of producing/distributing the few thousand tires that Vee (or whomever) will need to make to get these rolling.

And if by some miracle these tires do come to exist, many will still complain that they aren't good enough at ___. Even your example of a For Snow Only label won't be quite enough,as there are many kinds of snow that are abrasive enough to wear through a sidewall in a few hundred miles, not to mention that some will think that snow = "some mix of snow, and ice, and maybe roots and rocks" and you can see where I'm going with that.

Do I want bigger tires? Sure. Do I think there is a market big enough to support them? I do not.

mtbr member
    Whatever you do donít ride it in snow. I read on this forum from a member who raced in the Iditasport (he hardly ever mentions that he raced it) that snow is abrasive and will wear out your tire.
    Except that's not what mikesee said at all.

Here's a snippet of his comment:
    "...there are many kinds of snow that are abrasive enough to wear through a sidewall in a few hundred miles".
    And here's the full comment in-thread:
    26x5.05 XXL

He specifically mentioned sidewall abrasion in reply to a post on lightweight sidewalls. In response, you referenced the tread on your truck's snow tires, the tread on your bud/lou, and the track on a snowmobile.

Yet despite responding twice to mikesee's post in that thread, and despite quoting his comment both times, you completely bypassed that his comment was about sidewall wear in abrasive snow conditions.
    Here's your two separate responses, both referencing tread wear:
    26x5.05 XXL - Page 16- Mtbr.com

As far as whether snow is abrasive, if you don't believe mikesee, ask an XC ski racer about where their wax goes. Alternately, go spring skiing in boxer shorts and lay it over on a groomer at speed.

mtbr member
    I have Buds front and rear on a Mukluk that I ride all year. The Mukluk isn't my main bike, but I ride it often. It isn't unusual for me to ride a 30 mile road ride on this bike, and the Buds just take it.

My main bike has awesome wheels that Mike C built, so if you're looking to bash him, please go to another thread.

mtbr member
    If you are referring to mikesee, he knows more about fat bikes and riding them than about 99% of us ever will.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What if Snowflat is in that uber-illumined 1% as well? The Mothra to MC's Godzilla, if you will.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    What if Snowflat is in that uber-illumined 1% as well? The Mothra to MC's Godzilla, if you will.
    Could very well be, but snowfat didn't build the wheels on my bike - he should start his own thread to whine about Mike C if he needs to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Except that's not what mikesee said at all.

Here's a snippet of his comment:
    "...there are many kinds of snow that are abrasive enough to wear through a sidewall in a few hundred miles".
    And here's the full comment in-thread:
    26x5.05 XXL

He specifically mentioned sidewall abrasion in reply to a post on lightweight sidewalls. In response, you referenced the tread on your truck's snow tires, the tread on your bud/lou, and the track on a snowmobile.

Yet despite responding twice to mikesee's post in that thread, and despite quoting his comment both times, you completely bypassed that his comment was about sidewall wear in abrasive snow conditions.
    Here's your two separate responses, both referencing tread wear:

As far as whether snow is abrasive, if you don't believe mikesee, ask an XC ski racer about where their wax goes. Alternately, go spring skiing in boxer shorts and lay it over on a groomer at speed.
    Snow isnít abrasive. Ice can be abrasive. Who rides aired down so their sidewalls are rubbing on icy snow? Itís was a stupid comment and post to make and the OP gave me neg feedback for disagreeing with him. Snow = abrasive, thatís laughable.

Go spring skiing or boarding in shorts and wreck on hard frozen spring snow filled with ice crystals. Yep, that will happen and again, why would anyone ride around aired down in those conditions on a proper fat tire bike?

mtbr member
    Snow isnít abrasive. Ice can be abrasive. Who rides aired down so their sidewalls are rubbing on icy snow? Itís was a stupid comment and post to make and the OP gave me neg feedback for disagreeing with him. Snow = abrasive, thatís laughable.

Go spring skiing or boarding in shorts and wreck on hard frozen spring snow filled with ice crystals. Yep, that will happen and again, why would anyone ride around aired down in those conditions on a proper fat tire bike?
    You continue to out yourself as an idiot.

Question about abrasive snow and choosing glide wax - XCSkiForum.com
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

since 4/10/2009

You know snow IS ice, right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Has anybody ever worn a BUD bald?-3981979045_bf0d5605e7_o.jpg
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Harold,
    Snow is ice.... ok, you betcha. I'll think of you the next time I ride up on the glacier by my house. You know a glacier, made of very HARD, blue ice compressed over centuries. But yeah, ice is the same as snow because you can totally ice skate on a snow trail.

DirtyHun,
    You are obviously butthurt over getting neg in return for the one you gave me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    If you are referring to mikesee, he knows more about fat bikes and riding them than about 99% of us ever will.
    Yep, and I've read many of his posts and many of his snarky, elitist comments towards other MTBR members including myself. When your main claim to fame is pushing/riding/pushing a bike along a very well used snowmachine trail in Alaska at the peak time it is traveled, well..... get over yourself. I don't care what happened once upon a time back in '94 when you had to run at 4 psi for 100 miles on 2.1" tires because you were sinking in and your rim sidewalls chewed up your tires. Yeah, "abrasive snow" was the cause of that. It was because the available equipment sucked at the time. Was it an accomplishment, hell yes! Something to be proud of, absolutely! But is it an issue anymore? NO! If you can float you'll pump up to a pressure to provide you with maximum efficiency and your sidewalls will be well above the so called crazy, aggressive and sinister quote on quote abrasive snow. It begs the question, how does anyone finish a desert race using pneumatic rubber tires as sand is way more abrasive than any type of snow you will find?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ...and back to the original thread discussion, please. I don't have the Bud tire, but I am amazed at how well fat tires wear in general, even when used on dirt as well. It certainly makes me more comfortable ponying up $$$$ for tires when I know they'll last many seasons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    ...and back to the original thread discussion, please. I don't have the Bud tire, but I am amazed at how well fat tires wear in general, even when used on dirt as well. It certainly makes me more comfortable ponying up $$$$ for tires when I know they'll last many seasons.
    Me too!