mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Happiness is a fat bike

I have several bikes, but since early January, I've only been riding my Moonlander - on snow, dirt, gravel, and pavement. I live in a far western suburb of Washington, D.C.
    When I ride on a nearby rails-to-trail route, I often encounter groups of younger riders on expensive carbon racing bikes. As they pass me, I often hear - "Cool bike" and "Great ride" almost spoken in envy. People that I pass walking by usually only seem to notice the tires. One person wanted to know where the 'engine' was, thinking it was some kind of motorcycle. I never ride without receiving some kind of complementary comment as I ride by - not for me but for the bike. Many just stare, often smiling.
    Fat bikes are rare in this part of the country - there are mostly racing bikes, standard mountain bikes, and some hybrids. I've only seen one other fat bike around. Most people who ride racing bikes don't race. They pedal along in the usual bent-over position, staring at the ground, often complaining of sore arms and lower backs. Fat bikes are comfortable. You notice more things when riding because you can see more. You seem to float over everything. With some racing bikes, you can tell if a coin is heads or tails by riding over it.
    I get a great workout on the 'lander and my speed is only slightly slower on pavement than on my Atlantis. It's the same or even faster on packed dirt. I am seriously considering riding one of my 3 fall centuries on the 'lander.

NMBP
    Almost the same time frame for me, and also on a Moonlander. I've ridden snow, sand, slick rock, single track, and for the first time yesterday, a pavement on a bike trail. I had half a dozen people from 60 years old down to pre-teens tell me that they liked my tires. And I only had BFL's on, not even the more impressive Bud n Lou. I love the bike, and I love the ride quality.

ouch....
    Same here. 99% of comments have been positive. Only a couple guys had rude comments on "looks heavy & slow", coming from a weight-weenie type that didn't even look like he was having fun on his bike. Oh well too bad for him LOL.

Riding the fatty is about the most fun I've ever had on a bike (apart from riding the whole enchilada, but hopefully fatty will get to go out there next year too)
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am still new to mine but have experienced the same things in the above posts.

Last evening I was feeling good after some company was over so I jumped on the beast and pedaled around the neighborhood. It was so simple. No special shoes or having to make sure I have 100 lbs pressure in both tires. A comfortable position.

Simple easy fun.

The best part was when the kids on their bikes down the block saw the bike. I'm afraid they afterword went right home asking their parents for one. I may be 50 years their senior but I am the coolest kid on the block.

mtbr member
    I am also acclimating to my new Lefty fatback and I must say it seems it's main aspiration is to be fun! Most other main stream bicycles of any other genre strive to be capable/serious racers. Mounted Black Floyds recently to save some wear on the HuDu's so I went for a ride after mowing the lawn tonight to try them out on the different surfaces I might encounter over the summer. I rode 12.5 miles in blue jeans. I don't remember ever riding another bike in blue jeans that far. Just having fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've got similar responses from other riders and walkers when riding my Fatty. And if you stop, they want to squeeze the tires!

The best one was from a guy and a gal riding a tandem. They made some (friendly) quip about how heavy my bike must be. I said "at least it doesn't take two of me to pedal it!" with a big grin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Happiness is a fat bike

i have had a couple of bikes my on one fatty is the best gearing bike i have had was going to buy a granny ring but i am used to the st up now ,,i cant go out without getting at least a dozen comments on my fatty nice to be different probly the smoothest ride i have had on any bike of all terrains

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Happiness is a fat bike-uploadfromtaptalk1368512636699.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for all the comments, guys. This is a great forum.
    With regard to the fat bike's weight, they should make the Tour de France a real man's event - ride the mountain stages on fatties!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rgurney View Post
    With regard to the fat bike's weight, they should make the Tour de France a real man's event - ride the mountain stages on fatties!
    Singlespeed, of course.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I am a fat bike convert. Been riding one for 4 months as a general purpose trail bike. No snow here. Get many great comments. Get a few "what are you thinking that has got to be SO slow'.

Anyway I have transitioned from my love of racing and riding fast group rides to enjoying the journey in a different way. In other words I have gotten older and slower and just want to enjoy the ride my way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Montster - You 'get it', they don't. The journey is everything, not the speed of it. Those guys are racing along, staring at the pavement, missing the scenery. You can get a better workout in a shorter period of time on a fattie, as well as have more fun doing it. The bonus plan..........

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Singlespeed, of course.

Wow Velo, that sure doesn't look like LI NY ! That looks like a dream I had.

I don't have scenery like that, but I have got the beach almost out my back door, so I rode the first half into the wind on it today. Down four miles to the harbor. Crossed soft, deep sand uphill to the road. It wasn't easy but I did it. Amazing. I bow to the king of fatness. The ride back, with the wind was magic.

The bike is evolving as am I into this new world of fat on beach. High-rise handlebars are on their way. I suspect it will be the only fat bike on the East coast with clipless pedals and ape-hanger handlebars. It and I are destined to become a strange synergistic creature, designed to ply the shoreline.

These fatties make us all strange creatures eh? Celebrities to the common man, that do not do or see what we do.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by beachride View Post
    I suspect it will be the only bike with clipless pedals and ape-hanger handlebars.
    fixed it for you.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    My 29er has been hanging idle for the past 6 weeks; I ride my pugsley exclusively now. Lately, I've taken to riding it with 2 29er rear wheels on some of my local trails. It's fast and reasonably light, all things considered. If I need a little more give up front, Half fat. love, love love it!
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Laramie, Wyoming
    And Fatties don't have to be slow.

I was riding the Moonlander just yesterday on a rural road when I got passed by a roadie. I was going about 16 mph. I said Hi but he didn't respond so I picked up my speed and got on his wheel. We were going along at 22 mph. He began pedaling harder and I noticed we had sped up to about 26 mph. Before he turned off several miles down the road, we were pedaling at 30.2 mph and he still hadn't dropped me. I think the hum of the 4.8" tires was frustrating him.

I currently have a competition with another fatty owner on stated course where our average mph is now at 18 mph on the Moonlander.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    ^^^^^

That was awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There is something addicting about all the traction that my pugsley has. I've only had a fat bike for a short time but I am past the "new bike" phase and still grab the fat bike more than my 29er. It's nice being able to stand up on the climbs without the rear tire slipping and it's nice to not fiddle with suspension setting (although I do miss the suspension sometimes.)

Re: Happiness is a fat bike

Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    There is something addicting about all the traction that my pugsley has. I've only had a fat bike for a short time but I am past the "new bike" phase and still grab the fat bike more than my 29er. It's nice being able to stand up on the climbs without the rear tire slipping and it's nice to not fiddle with suspension setting (although I do miss the suspension sometimes.)
    Not to mention the insane amount of cornering traction, right! Ive really been enjoying my usual trails on dirt with the moonlander. I'm surprised bud/Lou roll as well as the do on loose over hardpack trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    When riding my 'lander behind my wife, she says it sounds like a truck on the highway......

Developing Skillz
    I've same kind of response from people when riding my 29er with roofless trailer and my dog standing or sitting in.

I can't justify a fatty in my area cause, here really isn't anything to ride witch I couldn't do with my 29er. I still like fatbikes and it's a pleasure to read anything about them. Keep up the good work!

mtbr member

Happiness is a fat bike

Yeah, yeah, same story here. I especially like when someone comes upon you on a trail and talks about heavy and slow, then you turn and smoke them up the hill. It's all relative i guess. It ain't the boat, it's the motor, and my boat makes my motor stronger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beachride View Post
    I suspect it will be the only fat bike on the East coast with clipless pedals and ape-hanger handlebars.
    mmmmm ape-hanger bars demonscycle - "El Diablo" Ape Hangers.