Thread: Handlebars

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

We the people ... Handlebars

I cant seem to find any photos or the name of the handlebars that I would describe as maybe a half circle? Narrow version of a beach bar?

I have seen 100's of pics when I was not paying attention to them, now I cant find them

Anyone know what I a talking about?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You refering to the Jones loop bar possibly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's them. Thank you. Question for those that have them. Our Pugsley is ridden by a woman in her late 50's. She a spunky late 50's but nonetheless leaning over for long periods of time is taxing on her back. We put beach bars on it but they are difficult to haul the bike around, and the bike steers too quick being as they are so wide. Would loop bars be a good go between from the normal straight bars and the beach bars. They look like it, but I have never ridden a bike with them. We ride the bikes on paved bike trails and the beach if that makes a difference. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyGame View Post
    That's them. Thank you. Question for those that have them. Our Pugsley is ridden by a woman in her late 50's. She a spunky late 50's but nonetheless leaning over for long periods of time is taxing on her back. We put beach bars on it but they are difficult to haul the bike around, and the bike steers too quick being as they are so wide. Would loop bars be a good go between from the normal straight bars and the beach bars. They look like it, but I have never ridden a bike with them. We ride the bikes on paved bike trails and the beach if that makes a difference. Thanks
    I've always thought of wide bars as slowing steering, but making it easier by giving you more leverage. You might want to try a longer stem if you added bars with a lot of reach-back. A longer stem will slow down steering too.

Jones bar is awesome, but don't confuse it with a "comfort" bar. It's intended for serious off-road riding. It is indeed intended for use in a bit more upright position, but it requires a bike or a stem that's designed to get it there - unlike a Pugsley in stock form. So you might need to invest in a stem anyway.

Another similar but less extreme option is the Mary bar (or SOMA knock-off - "Clarence?"), which has similar sweep but a bit more rise and could maybe used with existing stem.

Either option is really nice though, and a lot of people never go back to straight bars once they try them.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks again for the input.