Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

The Handlebar Thread

If you have some time, please help a brother out and post some pics of your bike/bars/cockpit setup. I am in the market for something, but I am not quite sure what that something is. I have a 2012 Muk with the Bend 3 bars, which I like but don't love. I am interested in something with more sweep (Soma Clarence, Surly Open Bar) but I don't know for certain. Not that this will be as good as testing bars out, but it will give me some ideas and maybe narrow things down. I am interested in all bars, not just bars with sweep.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    These are the Carver MyTi bars, like them better then the Jones and more then the LuvBars from Groovy. Flex just enough for comfort but not enough to be scary, i'm 200lbs and very happy with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Handlebar Thread-myti-8.jpg  

mtbr member
    These are my Origin 8 Bullnose bars. I've had them for a little while with mixed riding. They're good, not great. I like the look and style more than the bar itself. Loads of room for GPS, Lights, etc. Wouldn't mine more options in width and sweep.... but for the $ they're hard to say no to.

I've had the original "H-Bar" by Jeff Jones, the On-One Mary, On-One Fleegle, Salsa Woodchippers.

I like the Origin 8 bars, but don't like the limitation of the built in "stem". I'll probably pick up a set of Surly Moloko bars next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Handlebar Thread-dscn2851.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of Jones Loops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Handlebar Thread-photo-60-.jpg  

Harrumph
    I'm a fan of carbon for cold weather.....No really, the plastic bars feel much warmer than the thinwall heatsinks that metal bars are.

I've used the 17 Salsa Pro Moto for a few seasons and combined with Ergon grips were worry free. The 10 Ritchey WCS bars from my "Summer" bike are going to be used in the new build. They have that nice forward sweep so you don't need to use a longer stem with big sweep bars. They are really nice
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ill try to grab a few pics tomorrow .....im using the stock stem on my Necro, but swapped out to On One Mary bars........i love them

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I like Origin 8 Space Bars

Kinda new here, still havent figured out picture posting, but here is a link to the bars I like, and a few reviews. Not really a dedicated Mountain Bike bar, but a comfort bar with good ergo's that works for me..... I have injured my wrists plenty over the years, skateboarding, unicycling, Drunken Bar fights , endo's.... etc. These give me real good controll, and feel good. I use em with a 90mm 7 deg rise stem, on an 18" Pugsley frame. I'm 5' 10", 175 lbs.

Oh, the link... DOH !! Amazon.com: Origin8 Space O.R. Off-Road Riser Handlebar - 31.8mm, Black: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jones for me as well at this time. I really dig the full loop around the front for lights, GPS and other stuff like that. I am looking forward to hearing more about the Moloko Bar that Surly is producing however....

mtbr member
    Another fan of Mary here

Mary Bars by paulfulford, on Flickr

Got them on my Pugsley and Swift, I find the sweep back puts my wrists at a comfortable angle for longer rides. Only downside is that not much of the bar faces 'forward' which means that, as you can see from the angle of my eTrex, any bar accessories end up at an odd angle or you need an adjustable bracket. For example I find lights that fit on with an o ring a no no.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Cool-blue Rhythm

That diagonal angle of the computer would drive me nuts! Get a stub mount and mount it to your stem instead, like in this thread:
    Garmin Etrex mounting on the stem

Another option, which I sometimes use on my wife's bike because she uses a Mary and MyTi bar on different bikes, is the Paul stem cap light mount:
    Paul Component Engineering - Stem Cap Light Mount
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by philoanna View Post
    If you have some time, please help a brother out and post some pics of your bike/bars/cockpit setup. I am in the market for something, but I am not quite sure what that something is. I have a 2012 Muk with the Bend 3 bars, which I like but don't love. I am interested in something with more sweep (Soma Clarence, Surly Open Bar) but I don't know for certain. Not that this will be as good as testing bars out, but it will give me some ideas and maybe narrow things down. I am interested in all bars, not just bars with sweep.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    + to Jones (Aluminium Loop H-Bars). Slightly narrow for my taste and not totally convinced about the full front loop, but they're growing on me.

http://bicyclenomad.files.wordpress....1-tsjw0395.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I think I got it figured out.....

So, Here's a pic of the Origin8 space bars.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...pugsley004.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Try again... Jeeze.....

Smash Mode: ON
    Since this is 'the' handlebar thread, can we talk about material too? I'm looking for a little more cushion for the pushin'. Is carbon a good way to go for that? Would it be safe to assume all carbon bars are roughly equal in this regard?? I've got the salsa two bend currently...
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

Bad cat!
    Niner Flattop carbon here. Never really liked the Salsa bend 2 bars that came on the Mukluk. I don't know if carbon has more flex than aluminum in a bar, maybe a bit, but it just feels different--doesn't have that alloy "ping", and this bar has good width and the right amount of sweep for me. It tends to migrate to whatever bike I'm riding the most.

mtbr member
    Carbon full loops

Sorry dreaming, but jones loops all the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I like Carbon. Carbon bars can feel quite different from brand to brand, depends what the intended purpose was. Some Carbon is stiffer and some have a softer feel. I do belive that overall Carbon has a better damping characteristic than Aluminum and Ti has even more. My experiance, for pure comfort Ti is the better choice. If you like stiff I would go with a good Carbon bar.

Cheers,
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Since this is 'the' handlebar thread, can we talk about material too? I'm looking for a little more cushion for the pushin'. Is carbon a good way to go for that? Would it be safe to assume all carbon bars are roughly equal in this regard?? I've got the salsa two bend currently...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just finished my build with the On-One Fleegle. Not as swept back as the Mary and super wide:

Geordie biker
    answer pro taper 780mm

2014 milage so far - 2,095
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

i heart singletrack

Here's my HB setup...

I was running a similar Bend 3 bar setup to what you've been running, but am now running a Salsa ProMoto 2 17-degree flat bar with a ProMoto Ti stem (100mm). I like the feel of the handlebar better and the position on the bike fits me a bit better as well (it's about 10mm shorter, overall).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Handlebar Thread-579509_10151110221187358_1606260633_n.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    before I saw this thread yesterday I was thinking of starting a thread about this because the stock handle bar/ stem/ grips on my necro pugs give me hand discomfort after a while on or offroad. Yesterday I tried swapping on my Nashbar Trekking bar and while it has more hand positions it was a good 4-6inches too small with how close the primary hand position is to the stem [it made steering radically different, in a bad way]
    Today I swapped on an older Easton MonkeyLite carbon riser bar from a bike in the garage and am using it with the stock pugs grips and stem for now, it seems to be an improvement even though it is a good 2" narrower and not swept back [steering is changed], only time will tell though.

I'm thinking I will get a set of ergon grips early next week so I can have a better set of grips, and one that is easily removable so I can swap bars a lot easier.

Eventually I think I will try the Jones H or J bars, maybe the On One Marry bars. But I have also been thinking of getting a set of long pull road levers for $30 and putting them on a regular drop bar I have while using a second stem with a cut handle bar to mount the shifters to [so I can decide if I like the way drop bars will work on the pugs before dropping the money on a On One Midge or Salsa Woodchipper bar and some kind of different shifter/ shifter housing -I have an uncut steerer still so I probably wouldn't need a high rise stem]

Anchorage, AK
    I find these Walds bars with a five inch rise to be super comfortable.

--Lars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Handlebar Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1352750624364.jpg  

--Peace

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm getting these as soon as I can. Surly Moloko Bar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willzager View Post
    I'm getting these as soon as I can. Surly Moloko Bar

Curious to try these out myself

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I started with the Jones Loop bar when I first got my fat bike, but I eventually switched to a custom Seven Cycles titanium bar. You can get a custom width and bend for ~$150 really quickly (ordered mine on a Monday and got it on Friday).

I love how flexy it is. Along with the fat tire, it helps reduce some of the sharp jarring jolts.

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast