Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Half fat 29er SS - which fork(s) will work?

Seeing a guy on the fatty this weekend got me thinking - I've got a steel SS frame (Zion 737 EBB) hanging in my garage, along with a whole mess of parts to get another bike built. I was wondering the feasibility/reality of trying to turn this bike in to a half-fatty/beach cruiser SS? I was wondering what type of fork I would need? Would the Pugsley fork work or would the offset screw things up on a non-offset frame?

I found these (a Salsa Enabler and a Pugs fork): Salsa Enabler and Surly Pugsley forks for sale - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories and wondered if one or both might fit the bill? I would prefer a larger tire up front so I may be able to ride it on the sand, but I am just starting to explore options...

Any thoughts? I would be hoping that I could fit a 2.35 or 2.4" tire on the rear but because of clearance issues it may end up only taking a 2.25.

Any help/advice (or even spare parts like fork, wheels, etc) would be great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The offset of the fork doesn't matter as you'll just need to buy a wheel to match whatever you choose. But what you do need to think about is the axle-to-crown length/height. The Pugsley forks all have AC heights of around 450 mm whereas the Salsa Enabler has an AC height of 470 mm. 470 mm is close to what most 80/100 mm suspension-corrected 29er's have.

So a Salsa Enabler generally seems to be the better way to go for a half-fat 29er if you want to maintain your 29er's current geometry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ran a 100mm Pugsley fork (450mmAC) on the front of my Karate Monkey, with an Endomorph tyre on a 45mm 26inch rim up front and a 3 inch tyre on a 26inch rim out back it rode really well, I now have a the same fork set up with 29er wheels in, its quite twitchy up front but I like it like that

mtbr member
    Unfortunately the Salsa fork is sold, but the Surly is still available. The frame is designed for 80 mm fork, I believe, but I ran a100 mm fork on it without noticing too much of an issue. It's a good deal for the fork, but wondering if the AC measurement is going to screw up the handling too much...

Witty McWitterson
    Half fats are a fun bike to ride. I wouldn't limit it to a beach cruiser at all.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In the next few days I'll be getting a moonlander fork and fat wheel to put on my 2011 Kona Unit SS. I'll report back once I field test the setup.

The Salsa Enabler fork would have matched the Unit geometry better, but next year I want to build up a 9:zero:7 135mm full fat and it is built around a 150mm fork. It will steepen the front end of the Unit about a degree, but I'm hopping the fat wheel will slow the handling back down. I did go with a BFL on a Darryl rim to better match the diameter of a 29er tire.

mtbr member
    The Zion rigid fork for this bike has an AC measurement of 475, the Pugs fork is less...any idea how much this will slacken the head tube angle?

mtbr member
    Bikeman has the Enabler for $102.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    Bikeman has the Enabler for $102.
    Forgive me (or rather, correct me) if I am wrong, but the Enabler doesn't have as much clearance as the Pugs fork, right? I'm wasn't necessarily planning on running a BFL, but if I would I could...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Sweet!! Now only if it came in white!!

mtbr member
    Don't forget surly makes a non offset pugsley fork. I've got one that accepts a normal 100mm hub, LM rim and endomorph.

mtbr member
    ...i've got so much to learn! The non-offset Pugs fork is still going to have the same AC measurement though, correct? It seems the Salsa would fit the geo of my frame a bit better. Trying to figure a way to piece together this bike at a relatively low cost...

...but wondering if I should just forget it and find a complete full fatty!....Oh man! My wife is gonna kill me!

'Calm Down'
    It wouldn't slacken the head angle, it would steepen it. The Pugsley forks are 447mm AtoC, so it would be about 1 deg steeper. Remember that the bars would be lower and your seat tube would steepen as well.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    The Zion rigid fork for this bike has an AC measurement of 475, the Pugs fork is less...any idea how much this will slacken the head tube angle?
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Took me a while, but finally pulled the trigger on an Enabler fork and this wheel:

MMBA • View topic - Fat Front End - Fork, Rim, Brake and Tire

I know I need a new tire to replace the Endomorph and am looking at the Husker Du for this. I have read the threads on drilling the rim and plan to do this at some point.

My general plan has changed as well - initially I was going to use my steel SS frame, but am now considering building up a second Misfit DiSSent as a 1X9 or 1X10 (depending on the parts I come across) with a 2.4 Ardent or something similar on the rear. Can't wait!

Brian

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Took me a while, but finally pulled the trigger on an Enabler fork and this wheel:

MMBA • View topic - Fat Front End - Fork, Rim, Brake and Tire

I know I need a new tire to replace the Endomorph and am looking at the Husker Du for this. I have read the threads on drilling the rim and plan to do this at some point.

My general plan has changed as well - initially I was going to use my steel SS frame, but am now considering building up a second Misfit DiSSent as a 1X9 or 1X10 (depending on the parts I come across) with a 2.4 Ardent or something similar on the rear. Can't wait!

Brian
    As others have said don't limit yourself to riding a fat front only on the beach. They are incredibly capable mountain bikes. I have used the fat front on my salsa (which i just sold and you probably just missed) with an enabler and I have the fat front on my jones. Which if you are looking at a SS rigid only bike you also might want to consider his diamond chromo with either his uni crown or the truss fork.

Relevant photo:
    Fat
    Try this: HTFU

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    back when I had my karate monkey I thought a 1/2 fat would be about perfect on our trails... but at the time the pug fork was the only fork option (to short) and the thought of spending as much on a fat front setup as a decent used fork hurt...

fast forward to now...

i've got this sitting in my garage... (note the big fat larry is slightly taller then my 2.25 29er)

waiting on a salsa enabler fork to come in... if I like the setup then i'll build up a 135mm front 29er wheel... or a lighter weight drilled rim... if not then I should be able to sell it for what i've got into it and pick up a used suspension fork... but honestly I think I'll like it
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    back when I had my karate monkey I thought a 1/2 fat would be about perfect on our trails... but at the time the pug fork was the only fork option (to short) and the thought of spending as much on a fat front setup as a decent used fork hurt...

fast forward to now...

i've got this sitting in my garage... (note the big fat larry is slightly taller then my 2.25 29er)

waiting on a salsa enabler fork to come in... if I like the setup then i'll build up a 135mm front 29er wheel... or a lighter weight drilled rim... if not then I should be able to sell it for what i've got into it and pick up a used suspension fork... but honestly I think I'll like it
    You will love the 135mm 29er wheel. They build up so damn strong, it makes you wonder why out ever used a 100mm hub upfront. Just another borrowed because it was convenient standard we should never have let stay. I mean we have changed head tube standards like 10 times already. How hard would it be to get a 135mm front hub standard? /rant

I love my fat front. Just did my second ride on it and it did everything as promised and never once did I wish I had suspension. Actually once i wished it had a little less traction as it turned in a little too tight and I took the scenic route instead of the more drifting line I thought I would take.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    being that I've been out of riding for the last 2 years I figure jumping right in should minimize me noticing the odd handling tendencies.

when I was riding regularly (2 years back) I only wished for suspension at one point (rooty section at the bottom of a fast DH section)... I just felt a little out of control (on a rigid karate monkey) at that section... a higher volume tire would have fixed that problem (or so I thought... and shall prove here soon lol)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Did I catch a niner?

Just road mine today. It's a Muk fork not the actual enabler but it works, bought off a guy on my local forums.

Muk fork
    Vicious 80mm
    Surly Nate 120tpi
    Surly rimstrip/tube

Prior to this I road a Salsa Cromoto Grande Maxle which has the same A to C so nothing seems to have changed for me nor did I notice anything while riding today. I have thought about speccing my Flow with a 135mm but I really like the Maxle setup so I will probably just keep both. I do think a studded tire on the rear would really help looking at a Ice Spiker Pro.

To add to this, the Nate throws serious mud I hit a few wet spots today on the trail (do not judge me) and it throws like truck tire mud not little sissy bike tire mud.
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 02-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I wonder if we'll be seeing a lot of 1/2 fats popping up in the near future... I know universal has the fat sheba for under $40... i'm tempted to snag one to at some point fat bike the 1x1... anyway...

first ride out today on the 1/2 fat and it was nice... I'm very out of shape but thats not the bikes fault lol...I liked the front end... didn't feel that it inhibited the ride at all and, all very natrual feeling.

one thing I was wondering is how much pressure are you guys running while on the trail? I started at 15psi and had dropped it a few times by the end of the ride but still thing it was to much air (haven't checked what it's running now)... so what are you running?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

workin' it Administrator
    I wonder if we'll be seeing a lot of 1/2 fats popping up in the near future... I know universal has the fat sheba for under $40... i'm tempted to snag one to at some point fat bike the 1x1... anyway...

first ride out today on the 1/2 fat and it was nice... I'm very out of shape but thats not the bikes fault lol...I liked the front end... didn't feel that it inhibited the ride at all and, all very natrual feeling.

one thing I was wondering is how much pressure are you guys running while on the trail? I started at 15psi and had dropped it a few times by the end of the ride but still thing it was to much air (haven't checked what it's running now)... so what are you running?
    10 psi by my inaccurate gauge on my Lezyne floor pump in a Larry on a Large Marge with a tube. My first ride I did with 12 and it was miserable. At 10 on the Jones I am still feeling like it might be too much and can probably get down to 9 - 9.5 before it starts to feel too soft at speeds in corners.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    thx... what do you weigh?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

workin' it Administrator
    thx... what do you weigh?
    200 plus bike and gear.

Did I catch a niner?
    I am at about 7 psi I think and I weigh 240 plus bike and gear. It feels fine but I really think I can go lower. It was really nice on a few spots today where there were not much for tracks and the Nate just pushed me through and kept a line, I did wipe out 3 times but I blamed it all on ice, the beginner loop is in big field before you can get to the inter and X so a lot of it melts and refreezes.

I did want a fat front for a while and glad the Nate came out for such a situation but my fear always came from the cost of just getting all the pieces luckily the guy had it all for under $300 which was surprising to me.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast