Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

hadley or hope: which 170mm hub

anyone any thoughts on this for a high quality 170mm hub?

im not sure about I9 internals at present...which unfortunately makes me not sure about the paul hub...

what im looking for: easy servicing, durability solid engagement. ideally the cassette body should be removable with minimal tools.
    what i dont care about: degrees of rotation before engagement, weight, colour, and in some regards initial cost.

ta muchly.

mtbr member
    And any info on the On-One hub?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    anyone any thoughts on this for a high quality 170mm hub?

im not sure about I9 internals at present...which unfortunately makes me not sure about the paul hub...

what im looking for: easy servicing, durability solid engagement. ideally the cassette body should be removable with minimal tools.
    what i dont care about: degrees of rotation before engagement, weight, colour, and in some regards initial cost.

ta muchly.
    I have the Hope FatSno and the Hadley Fatback 170mm rear hubs. This is the first Hadley hub and the fifth(?) rear Hope hub I've owned.

I've been riding mostly the Hope. It works very well, as I expected. It's 130 grams lighter and can be had for less than half the price of the Hadley. Guess which I'd get again?

If you want a black rear Hope 170mm, I have a brand new/unbuilt one (and appropriate skewer) sitting in the basement with your name on it which I can send to Sean
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

How much does it weigh?
    My complaint with the Hopes are the amount of noise they make, and the front hub is rear brake spaced.

My complaint with the Hadleys are the weight, and price.

Made to Shred
    dRj0n: I'd say don't overlook the Paul Comp Paul Components Rhub 170mm rear hub with I9 driver. Best of both worlds (Paul Components quality and I9 engagement + I9 Quality) in a 170 setup: Paul Component Engineering - Disk RHUB 170

The hubs are pretty easy to service with minimal tools and both company's provide excellent service in my experience. The engagement IS worth the consideration in my opinion.

Paul Comp Rhub+Whub!
    Kristofer Henry - 44 BIKES - Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com - 44 Flickr - 44 Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortyfour View Post
    dRj0n: I'd say neither now that Paul Comp came out swinging with their Rhub 170. Check out the Paul Components Rhub 170mm rear hub with I9 driver. Best of both worlds (Paul Components quality and I9 engagement + I9 Quality) in a 170 setup: Paul Component Engineering - Disk RHUB 170
    I agree completely, however the price point is a make or break deal for some.

Made to Shred
    @nvphatty: I completely understand where you are coming from. Price is a stumbling block on this one for many. It is worth it IMO if you save your lunch money. I am impressed. So much so all of my wheelsets have been switched to I9 (classic hubs, not their proprietary setup). The engagement in tech is a game changer for me and I was really happy to see Paul and I9 come through with this collaboration.
    Kristofer Henry - 44 BIKES - Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com - 44 Flickr - 44 Facebook

mtbr member
    I saved my pennies, nickels, & dimes for the WHUB and like you very pleased with the engineering aspect.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    My complaint with the Hopes are the amount of noise they make, and the front hub is rear brake spaced.

My complaint with the Hadleys are the weight, and price.
    I packed mine with a med weight grease (pedro's) around the inside of the hub shell, it brought the noise down to a very acceptable level. Ive since put close to 1000 miles on my fat bike & still more quiet than stock, & no issues with performance.

I did the same on my wife's bike that also runs hope hubs, & now she says the are "too quiet" & wants the clicking back....lol....
    (initially she complained that they were too loud!)....can't win.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    does anyone have any experience with the Phil Wood 170mm rear hubs?

Elvis

mtbr member
    I have Hadley's and so far no complaints

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works View Post

Elvis
    Guitar Ted of this forum had trouble with his. That and the huge price kept me from ever being all that interested.

mtbr member
    If you grease the pawls of a Hope hub it runs quieter than the recommended Oil lube...

If you have a problem with a Hope product despite its age an email to them usually gets a reply saying `send it to us and we will look into it`

A few weeks later you recieve a replaced part or repaired part and if you ask they invite you for a factory tour with riding time on Hope spec Orange bikes and a goody bag to take home afterwards...
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works View Post

Elvis
    If you want to know what happened, here is the post from my blog concerning the PW 170mm hubs I had: "The Saga Of The Snow Dog And The Phil Wood Hub"

Essentially the pawls did not engage fully into the ring gear, then they would slip. Once damage started it failed fairly quickly.

I have ridden three Salsa Cycles branded 170mm hubs extensively since, with no issues at all.

How much does it weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    A few weeks later you recieve a replaced part or repaired part and if you ask they invite you for a factory tour with riding time on Hope spec Orange bikes and a goody bag to take home afterwards...
    You're lucky... I'm one of many people who have leaky diaphragms on my Tech levers... Hope refused to help me at all on 3 separate e-mails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    616fab hubs
    no tools needed to remove the body.
    uses cardrige bearings and a Shimano body (XT or XTR)

not cheap, but a good investment.

mtbr member
    thanks all! ricky, might be in touch about that ;-)~

616 make me a little nervous...its new, they were nukeproof right? and to my mind the design is not yet proven over time - which is important to me.

couple more questions: do fat back still have some hubs made by hadley? do they use the same parts as the other hadleys?

could a ti cassessette body go on a 170mm hub? (though i doubt it saves much weight)

the hadleys can be bolt on or qr right?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Drevil;9810831

I've been riding mostly the Hope. It works very well, as I expected. It's 130 grams lighter and can be had for less than half the price of the Hadley. Guess which I'd get again?

[/QUOTE]

Really? 130 grams difference in the rear hub? That's huge. Hadley used to be considered light hubs. What are the actual weights of both?

I have 2 sets of Hadleys and one 170mm rear hub. They all work great and are easily rebuildable with all parts and tools available and it's literally a Mom and Pop store in the USofA, which is nice to support when you can.

But they are expensive and 130grams is..a.. huge. That's well over 1/4 lb for you metricly challenged individuals.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

Fat & Single
    I considered Paul hubs for my new wheels build but the flange spacing from disk mount was a bit off putting considering the price. Im kinda understanding what they are trying to achieve with a equally dished wheel but surely there has to be some strength loss in not moving that flange out to the disk mount.
    3rd set of Hopes on the way..... maybe next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hadley or hope: which 170mm hub-diskrhub170main.jpg  

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Really? 130 grams difference in the rear hub? That's huge. Hadley used to be considered light hubs. What are the actual weights of both?

I have 2 sets of Hadleys and one 170mm rear hub. They all work great and are easily rebuildable with all parts and tools available and it's literally a Mom and Pop store in the USofA, which is nice to support when you can.

But they are expensive and 130grams is..a.. huge. That's well over 1/4 lb for you metricly challenged individuals.
    Check the links in my first paragraph for pix.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Dirt Huffer
    If you want to do a really light weight build, do Paul WHUB front, Hope rear. Hope front hub is quite a bit heavier then the WHUB. In the end, color choice pulled me away from Paul hubs.

mtbr member
    Paul Component Engineering - Disk WHUB

> It is important to note that the Disk WHUB is designed for front disk rotor spacing. There are several 135mm forks on the market like the Salsa Enabler and Surly Pugsley fork that accept rear wheels with rear disk rotor spacing. These forks will not work with the Disk WHUB.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    If you want to do a really light weight build, do Paul WHUB front, Hope rear. Hope front hub is quite a bit heavier then the WHUB. In the end, color choice pulled me away from Paul hubs.
    how so??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hadley or hope: which 170mm hub-dscn1497.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian View Post
    Paul Component Engineering - Disk WHUB

> It is important to note that the Disk WHUB is designed for front disk rotor spacing. There are several 135mm forks on the market like the Salsa Enabler and Surly Pugsley fork that accept rear wheels with rear disk rotor spacing. These forks will not work with the Disk WHUB.
    correct

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Since I use Hadley, I run Hadley. Tools, bearings, parts are all the same, so why not! Plus they are made local(america), designed even more local(Alaska), and proven to work where I need them to(below -20).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast